How fat is TOO fat for C25K?

Options
I really really reallllly would like to try C25K. I'm a little apprehensive though. I've made many lifestyle changes in the last 4 months, and all of them have been wild successes. I don't want to set myself up for failure or chase a pie-in-the-sky dream, I'm worried failure will drag me down and I will go into a crazy shame spiral and reverse all the progress I've made so far.

I'm am sure if I achieved C25K it would take me 3-4 times longer to reach the end of the program than outlined, and I"m okay with that. For me running is a slow jog barely faster than I walk to begin with, and I'm okay with that too.

But a big (heh) part of me is hesitant to even try because it might not be possible at this size?

In the past few months I've increased my activity from barely being able to walk a mile to being able to walk four. I am capable of some things a lot of people who are 400+ lb are not, simply because I've been focusing on being more active and flexible. But is it possible to be capable of this?

Replies

• Mia627
    Mia627 Posts: 34
    Options
    I don't think anyone is too large for C25K. Just run at your own speed and if you need to slow down then do it! It's a great program and helped to start my running addiction. :)

Good luck!
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've done one similar at all different sizes and you just go at your own pace. OK you might not be doing 5 minute miles but who cares as long as you can run non stop for 30 minutes at the end of it !

Running is brilliant !
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree that no size is too big to try C25K.

If you are already walking 4 miles, then you are probably ready to give C25K a try if you are interested.

C25K got me started and, along with MFP, has been instrumental in the positive changes in my body this year.

I'm now up to a 10 mile long run (and my first 10 mile race last week) while I have lost about 80 pounds since the first of the year.

My one piece of advice for ANYONE who starts C25K is... if it feels too tough, slow down! Especially at the beginning of the program, go slower!

Ted
  • dstov
    dstov Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The wonderful thing about running is you get to determine how far you go, how fast you go, how long you go, and your pace. Also you already have the equipment to do it...your legs.

There is no such thing as too fat. You just start the program and slowly but surely you will be able to run more and walk less. When I first started running years ago, I would run a little bit and walk a lot, and continue doing that for 20 minutes. Eventually (like 4 months later) I was able to run (at a very slow pace) the entire 20 minutes. Now I run half marathons. I am still not very fast but with running I saw the weight and fat literally melt off of me and I feel better about myself.

Good luck!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If it takes you 10 times as longer then guess what??? You still ran a 5K! And that's amazing, You can do it! You just have to try!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As long as a doctor has cleared you, I think you should be fine.
    If it makes you feel any better I'm a heavier girl doing C25K so feel free to add me for support!
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I thought I was too fat, but I am proving myself wrong on Labor day!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hey honey i was managing to do that AND p90x at the same time last yr,and i was 17 stone LOL :bigsmile: (look out fatty running)! yes it was the earth quake you all heard! :blushing: not me running......
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I think if you really work at it and work at your own pace that you will be able to do it. It may take you longer which is fine just keep at it. You can do it!! :bigsmile:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started it @ 350# and made it through week 1 before I had to take a break to move houses.
  • Tubasteve42
    Options
    Like everyone else says, there is size limit. You may have to repeat a week so it make take a bit longer. I took eleven weeks instead of the recommended nine weeks, but I got through it eventually and I am much better off now.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think as others have said, if you can move and your doctor doesn't think it's a problem you're fine.

One of the things that motivated me to try it at first was see all the different shapes and sizes and fitness levels of people at 5k's...it was really inspiring. You can totally do this. Just stick with it. Take it at your own pace. Repeat a week if you need to - lots of us have and the side stitches will go away. I promise. It will get easier. You'll amaze yourself.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. The only failure is to never try. So what if it takes you longer to complete it. Who are you competing with? It will start you off with small amounts of running and who cares how fast you go. Who are you competing with?:happy: You will be doing more than those sitting on their butts. Get out there and move. You will see improvement if you stick with it.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Unless a doctor tells you that it's bad you can do it. The awesome thing about C25K is that you can stay on a "week" until you are able/comfortable to move on. My friend has been working on week 2 for 3 weeks because of shin issues that she's working on. My first time through I got stuck at week 5 for about 6 weeks, but once I broke that wall I felt amazing.

Go for it, and remember to keep positive. Every time you get out there and at least try you are one step closer. Every little bit is progress and helps you move forward.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    NO one is too fat for C25k! That's the beauty of it, you go at your own pace. I started C25k at 285 having never run a day in my life. My "jogging" intervals were more like speed walking, but it still got my heart rate up and burnt a ton of calories.

As long as you're following the basic principle (warm up, increase heart rate, slow down and regroup, increase heart rate, repeat until cool down), you'll be doing good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are only too large if it causes you physical pain. In that case, walk (only) for a bit to become more fit, then start the c25k. Don't be discouraged if you have to repeat a day or week. Many people do, no matter what weight they are.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    No such thing. As long as you can walk, you can do it.

I've done the first couple days of C25K recently, and having never run before (other than late :tongue: ), I can say it will vary from day to day. it's not a sprint, it can be an easy jog to get your heart rate up more than a walk.

The first time I tried it last week, nothing really hurt me, but I couldn't do all of the middle run segments, so I walked them, but didn't stop moving. Then when I felt better I jogged the last couple of them. Last night I tried it again and this time my knees bothered me. I did about 2/3 of the whole circuit, mostly walking toward the end but I managed a couple jogs.

Week 1 of C25K is brisk warm-up walk for 5 minutes, then jog for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, alternating until you get to 20 minutes total. But if you can't do the jog, maybe just do whatever you can do, but alternate with regular walking. You can go at your own pace until you're up to it.

If you have a running store, I would suggest getting a good pair of shoes. They can make a world of difference. I need to take mine back because I think I need either a wide or a 1/2 size up. They felt fine in the store but after a while my piggies feel squished and tingly. :grumble:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i did walking at first and then just sped up to a "speed walk" and so on give it time rome was not built in a day! nor will your fitness be! :wink:
  • hazel240
    hazel240 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The great thing about C25K (I actually use the Ease into 5k app, myself) is that YOU set the pace. I actually look forward to my workouts on the program. I get excited to see if my pace was quicker (though I'm still running at a pace that many walkers - including my 11 year old niece - pass me by at) or when I actually start running for longer periods of time and CAN DO IT! It's a very motivational workout tool.

My app also allows you to do a session multiple times, so today (session 7) I ran for 3 minutes straight (Woo Hoo!), but if I couldn't quite make it, I could try session 7 again next workout.

My biggest worry is my joints, but I've been making sure to take care of them outside of the workout - stretching, icing, etc.

Try it out - see how it goes... If nothing else, use it as a marker for your pace progress.

Good luck!!!
  • syllables
    syllables Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of really inspiring answers here. I'm glad I posted, I think I was trying to pysch myself out of something I really wanted to try. Tomorrow will be day One. Thank you all for the insight!