My body refuses to lose weight!

Hi, I have been eating between 1,200-1,500 calories max each day. I have been logging in daily and try to exercise at least 30 minutes 4 times a week but it's hard because I work full-time and go to school. I started in late May at myfitnesspal and I was 145lbs (because I gained a few pounds after new year's). I want to be back to 132lbs and I have been stuck in 139lbs for the past month it's so frustating. My scale won't change and when it does it increases to 139.4 or 140 if I feel bloated then goes back to 139 after a week. AHHH!!! What am I doing wrong!

Replies

• leanne5025
    leanne5025 Posts: 26 Member
    If you've been on your current plan for a few months with no change, then what you are doing is good for maintenance and not weight loss. Maybe you need to figure out how to kick up your exercise a bit. Also, since you are so close to goal and it sounds like the changes you really want to make are more toning and shaping, you really should take your measurements so you can see progress that way. Don't let the scale dictate your progress or success. It is not the only measurement tool you have available.

I'd love to take a look at what you are eating/drinking also to get a clearer picture of where you may need to tweak things. Open up your food diary for all to see.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    It's so frustrating, isn't it? A plateau is what brought me to MFP and it's slowly working. I suggest you mix up your exercise a bit. Our bodies are so efficient that they get good at doing the same thing over and over again, meaning we don't burn as many calories at it. If you're short on time (me too--about to start grad school and working more than full time) I suggest HIIT--high intensity interval training. You can google it, but basically whatever cardio you're doing, walking, running, cycling, go all out for 20 seconds and then slow down to recover for a minute or so. Crank it up 5-6 times in a twenty minute workout. It's difficult but very effective. The other suggestion I have is try a brand new exercise. If you're running, look into Zumba class or weight-training, this "confuses your muscles" and could jump start your metabolism. What's been working for me is an ultra-low carb diet and intermittent fasting--these aren't for everyone but did help me bust that plateau. Lastly, are you drinking lots of water? Good luck, keep up your good work, like the last poster said, you've been maintaining and that's no small feat either--so good on ya'!
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    The allotted calories you are giving yourself is too low, looks like your metabolism has slowed down tremendously.

Add fiber and more protein to your diet which should add about 200,250 more calories per day.

Also add strength training to your routine. You workout roughly 30 minutes each time so do 20 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of strength training. DO NOT BE AFRAID training with weights, you will not bulk up since women have much lower testosterone than men.

Day 1: 20 minutes cardio + chest and Triceps
    Day 2: 20 minutes cardio + back and biceps
    Day 3: 20 minutes cardio + shoulders
    Day 4: 20 minutes cardio + legs

You'll see grand results and when you see that you'll definitely will find time to make your workout 40 minutes

bodybuilding.com has ton of workouts and recipes to find that extra protein and fiber.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    How are you feeling aside from frustrated over the scale? If you are feeling really tired or if you are freezing all the time when other people aren't then you might want to have your thyroid checked. If that doesn't seem to be an issue then try to destress a little, change up your workouts and maybe even throw in a higher cal day to shock your system. I have heard of so many people that have got past a plateau with a splurge day. Good luck!
  • I am feeling the same way about the scale, but I feel good other than that darn number. I would love to lose 10 lbs before my cruise. So if anyone has any secrets to tipping the scale, I would love some new ideas.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Know its banded around sooo much, But I wouldnt definitely recommend lifting heavy weights. Start with something like Stronglifsts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women or starting strength. Ive seen a huge difference in my body in the past 11 weeks, and its all for the better.

Ive also started eating really cleanly, which I think works well too. I dont count calories, just eat good food. Regular day is something like 2 eggs scrambled with smoked salmon, fruit and nuts mid morning, chicken and avocado salad for lunch, a snack of more dried fruits/nuts, or a banana/chicken/protein shake/almond butter and an apple and dinner is something like homemade bolognese/curry/chicken and ratatouille with a baked sweet potato and veg. On gym days I have a protein shake in the morn post gym. I feel great and have plenty of energy :)
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish. :smile: lol Join the club.
  • Thank you for your advise I started increasing my exercise this month. Maybe the summer and having a few beers twice a week has made me get stuck. I will open my diary.

Thank you
  • Look into vitamin supplements that boost your metabolism.. I was having the same problem, went to the doctor, had some blood tests and found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I've been losig weight with no problem since I started taking the right vitamins. good luck! :)