Fresh Fruit Sugars

Options
I'm doing pretty well so far; logging on everyday, exercising, keeping within my 1200 cal/day goal but my sugar is always over - it's down to the fruit I am consuming... any ideas for low cal snacks between meals ?

Replies

• kriselayne1
    kriselayne1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit most of the day too. Maybe you should just try to add in some savory snacks in between the fruit and also not all fruit are created equally so do a search on the cal and sugar content as well as carbs of the fruit you like and limit the amount you eat so that it fits within what MFP suggests. Also add in some other types of snacks like nuts so that your more satiated. Some fruits like watermelon and grapes seem to have more liquid fill me up more and longer. Cherries and plums work well too.

Everything is trial and error so keep working at it until you find that happy space.

Good luck.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Try to swap out some fruit and swap in some veggies. But to be honest, I don't worry about natural sugars like the ones in fruits. If it's between me eating an apple or craving something sweet later and eating ice cream, I'll take the fruit.
  • heidi878
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :smile:
  • LadyCNE
    LadyCNE Posts: 13
    Options
    Try only fresh fruit in place of all sugar. I strive to eat 1 lb od raw and cooked veggies a day and then all the fruit I want. The fiber in the veggies. Fills me up and the fruits don't seem to matter limiting them.

I also eat no more than1 oz of nuts/seeds
  • LadyCNE
    LadyCNE Posts: 13
    Options
    I forgot to say, I have a hard time eating many calories because the high nutrient value of the veggies is calorie low
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar limits seem to be low because EVERYONE complains about going over. I wouldn't worry if all your sugar comes from fruit. Like I mentioned in another thread with the same concern, no one ever became obese from eating too many strawberries.

Edit: Damn autocorrect...
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've had the same prob, been shooting for only one fruit and the rest veg.
    Someone told me anything that grows in warm climates have more sugar and so far I have found that to be true ex. bananas, pineapple, oranges. Where Berries, cherries and apples are a bit lower
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I will probably get shot down for this but I don't track sugar. Fresh fruit is in season, it's delicious, portable, and nutritious. Unless you're diabetic or have another medical reason for restricting carbs/sugar I wouldn't worry about it. No one got fat from overloading on apples.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty well so far; logging on everyday, exercising, keeping within my 1200 cal/day goal but my sugar is always over - it's down to the fruit I am consuming... any ideas for low cal snacks between meals ?

Don't track the sugar. It doesn't mean anything anyway. Focus on Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium and Fiber.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I believe the low sugar level on MFP is supposed to be ADDED sugar (e.g., granulated sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.). I wouldn't worry about fruit.