HRM vs MFP Calorie Burn Estimates

Options
Hey Peeps,

I've noticed that when I wear my heart rate monitor (hrm) to the gym and figure out calorie burn based on my heart rate, weight, age, time, my HRM calculation is always lower than what MFP estimates I've burned when I enter in the activity.

I assume the hrm is more accurate since I am entering my own personal information and everyone burns calories at different rates. But curious as to what everyone is noticing.

Do you use a hrm to calculate calorie burn? Is it higher / lower / about the same as MFP estimates?

Thoughts on accuracy? Talk to me !!! :D

Jenny

Replies

• CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For both weight lifting and stationary bike riding (my two favorite exercise activities), my Polar FT7 HRM gives me about 54%-55% of the calories MFP would give me. I think the HRM is probably more nearly correct. Not only does it calculate this based on my data, but also the calories feel closer to the right amount. I felt like Jabba the Hut when eating all those calories MFP gave me for exercise, but I can eat back the calories my HRM allows and feel about right.

You're right - - I gather that which method allows more calories for exercise, HRM or MFP, differs for different individuals.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hey Peeps,

I've noticed that when I wear my heart rate monitor (hrm) to the gym and figure out calorie burn based on my heart rate, weight, age, time, my HRM calculation is always lower than what MFP estimates I've burned when I enter in the activity.

I assume the hrm is more accurate since I am entering my own personal information and everyone burns calories at different rates. But curious as to what everyone is noticing.

Do you use a hrm to calculate calorie burn? Is it higher / lower / about the same as MFP estimates?

Thoughts on accuracy? Talk to me !!! :D

Jenny
    The HRM is right.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I get the opposite. My HRM tells me I'm burning way MORE calories than the MFP exercise database.

I made my calorie goal based on my TDEE and "moderate" activity, so I don't eat my exercise calories, per se. They're built in to my daily calorie allowance.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i use my HRM and the calories on it are less then MFP too. Except when i work at the ballpark i put in heavy lifting and MFP was actually way less then my HRM. So I think it really depends on the individual. Ill use my HRM info every time from here on out!
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MFP burn calculations are invariably overstated and if anyone followed what MFP put in and ate those back then a person would likely gain weight.
    A HRM Monitor is better especially for Cardio type exercises but not for low impact or weight lifting where your heart rate may barely be up to 60% of max.
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I first started using my HRM as opposed to MFP calories burned I wanted to cry; that step class that it said I burned like 700 calories in . . . try 350 on a really good day! Go withe HRM!!!
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My HRM is always more than mfp! And by quite a bit! Like at least over 100 calories burned. I am woried about logging those calories and eating them back but also scared if it is right and I use mfp calories then I could go into starvation mode?? Arg, why does this have to be so confusing??
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I get the opposite. My HRM tells me I'm burning way MORE calories than the MFP exercise database.

I made my calorie goal based on my TDEE and "moderate" activity, so I don't eat my exercise calories, per se. They're built in to my daily calorie allowance.

This is me. My HRM says I burn way more than what MFP guesstimates, especially for cardio exercise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My HRM numbers are usually higher than MFP as well, but I also tend to work out at 85-90% of my max heart rate (as verified by said HRM).
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    HRM
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My HRM always says I burn like a 100 more then what MFP says. I feel like this is right just because the HRM has more of my stats and its basing on my heart rate, which is gonna be pretty high since I not in great shape anyway. MFP doesn't take that into account.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    yep. my burn with my HRM is less than what MFP says. I go with the HRM since it's constantly reading my heart rate so it knows when i'm slacking or taking a breather, etc. ;)
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is especialyl more accurate if you set it up according to some of the threads here (assuming you use a Polar).
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I get a lower number for the most part from my HRM.

Truth is, neither is 100% accurate. The HRM is going to give you a better idea of where you're at.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My HRM is usually way more than MFP and the cals showing burned at the gym on the machines. When I do weight lifting it is much less than MFP. I log my HRM cals and I try not to eat all of my exercise cals if I decide to go over other than that I stay with in my 1600 cals an never use my exercise cals.