Looking for other Nursing Moms

Options
Any other nursing moms out there?

I am having some challenges due to supply when exercising. I'd love to follow some other nursing moms to get some ideas of how they are working the kinks out.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing mom! My daughter is 8 months old. Feel free to add me. =)
  • jkc041709
    jkc041709 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing mom! My daughter is 8 months old. Feel free to add me. =)

Thanks! I have 7.5 month old daughter (and a 2 year old son).
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    Well I am nursing my 18month old son and well... between both of my kids my issue was OVERsupply, so I can't really offer advice on that. I would just say drink LOTS of water, eat oatmeal, and throw in a pumping session or two if you feel like your supply is dropping.
  • jkc041709
    Options
    Well I am nursing my 18month old son and well... between both of my kids my issue was OVERsupply, so I can't really offer advice on that. I would just say drink LOTS of water, eat oatmeal, and throw in a pumping session or two if you feel like your supply is dropping.

I'm averaging about 80 oz of water a day and eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. I only pump at work right now so maybe I'll increase that. Really the only time I see a dip is when I exercise. Thanks for the advice :)
  • caramellips06
    caramellips06 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Im a nursing mom to a 2 1/2 month old lil boy. Nice to meet u feel to add me. I havent had any supply issue since working out but I do take fenugreek n mothers milk tea n I pump once or twice a day for my stash.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I find that I have increased supply after I exercise. Do you hydrate while exercising and what kind of workouts do you do? (I've also read babies may not like the milk much after exercise as it could become soured. They sometimes suggest waiting at least an hour before you nurse, if your baby will let you make them wait!)
  • crystaltakingcontrol
    Options
    I don't breastfeed anymore, but I worked hard to try to convince my son to breastfeed. I ended up having to stay a week in the hospital when he hit two months old and my supply dropped tremendously (they did not allow me to eat but one of those days), so I went ahead and stopped. I was mainly just exclusively pumping, which is so much more stressful and time consuming. It broke my heart, but it was time to let myself accept that it was not going to happen any longer. You can always include pumping after feedings to boost supply. You can also google to find the le leche site and see what they say. I know some mothers also try certain teas and pills but I can not recall the names. Good luck to you mama!
  • crystaltakingcontrol
    Options
    it was fenugreek and mothers milk that i was trying to remember. i was in a online mothers group and thats what a lot of the women were using. thanks to the previous poster that reminded me lol
  • jkc041709
    Options
    I don't breastfeed anymore, but I worked hard to try to convince my son to breastfeed. I ended up having to stay a week in the hospital when he hit two months old and my supply dropped tremendously (they did not allow me to eat but one of those days), so I went ahead and stopped. I was mainly just exclusively pumping, which is so much more stressful and time consuming. It broke my heart, but it was time to let myself accept that it was not going to happen any longer. You can always include pumping after feedings to boost supply. You can also google to find the le leche site and see what they say. I know some mothers also try certain teas and pills but I can not recall the names. Good luck to you mama!

Exclusively pumping is so hard! I did it for my son for a year and honestly if it weren't for the hardcore urging and support from my husband I would have never made. Any breastmilk that you give your baby is great! :) Thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it.
  • crystaltakingcontrol
    Options
    Wow! A year of exclusively breastfeeding. I quit fully about a week ago. So i made it to two months, but he was only getting abouta bottle a day. That took a lot of hard work and determination from you. If you can do that, reaching your weightloss goal will be EASY!! :D
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Trying to wean my daughter but she isn't agreeing with that, her 1st birthday was YESTERDAY. I haven't had any issues with breastfeeding,

Are you sure you are eating enough and its not the exercise? You should be eating 300-500 extra calories. I don't see why being active could cut down your supply.
  • CRichards22
    Options
    Hi! You can feel free to add me and check out my diary! I am not bf now...but did the til my daughter was 7 months and for the first 6 months of my mfp journey! I had NO issues, but here are some things I did....Always drank 64+ ounes of water a day, making sure a full glass about an hour before every nurse/pump session. I gave myself the extra 500 calories for exclusively breastfeeding and I ate them....just didn't eat back all of my exercise calories when I did get exercise in. I lost 50+ of my 62 pounds in those 6 months too, so I think it worked!! I def agree with everyone.....it is probably due to lack of calories if you are having supply issues, not the exercise!!! Make sure you eat enough, you will still lose the weight!!

Good luck with this journey and GREAT decision to BF!! So good for baby and mommy!! WAY TO GO!!!
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Okay. I am not a nursing mom. There is a spice called Fenugreek. It has been used for hundreds of years to increase the supply of milk in nursing women in India. Check it out. My hobby is cooking Indian food. Most of the spices have a health related application.
  • jkc041709
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice. I think that my new plan is to eat more calories/drink more water on days that I exercise and see if that helps. If not, I guess I'm a freak lol!!! ;) But, seriously, I appreciate the help!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Are you adding extra calories each day for breastfeeding? What is your weight loss goal set to? I started getting serious about six months ago months and had a drastic decrease in supply, even though I was adding an extra 500 per day for bfing. I was exercising alot and has my goals set to 2lbs per week. I upped my calories, took fenugreek and added a pumping session and ate back my exercise calories. My son is 11 months old and I've been able to keep nursing without supplementing but it has been hard.

I went from having too much milk to not enough and didn't even realize it until my guy stopped gaining. Just make sure you eat enough. You can slowly reduce calories if you are maintaining your supply but not losing.

I exclusively breastfed my older daughter for a year and will go at least a year with my son. Feel free to add me if you want. I certainly believe that breast is best! And babies need a healthy momma, but sometimes it's hard to balance our desire to get back to where we want to physically be with keeping up with baby's needs. Keep it up, you are doing great.
  • jkc041709
    Options
    Are you adding extra calories each day for breastfeeding? What is your weight loss goal set to? I started getting serious about six months ago months and had a drastic decrease in supply, even though I was adding an extra 500 per day for bfing. I was exercising alot and has my goals set to 2lbs per week. I upped my calories, took fenugreek and added a pumping session and ate back my exercise calories. My son is 11 months old and I've been able to keep nursing without supplementing but it has been hard.

I went from having too much milk to not enough and didn't even realize it until my guy stopped gaining. Just make sure you eat enough. You can slowly reduce calories if you are maintaining your supply but not losing.

I exclusively breastfed my older daughter for a year and will go at least a year with my son. Feel free to add me if you want. I certainly believe that breast is best! And babies need a healthy momma, but sometimes it's hard to balance our desire to get back to where we want to physically be with keeping up with baby's needs. Keep it up, you are doing great.

Your first paragraph is me to a T.

I set my goals to lose 2 pounds a week and MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1,200. I went in a manually changed it to 1,850 and I make sure to stay between 1,850-2,000 a day. I drink tons of water too. I think I'm going to try another pumping session after she goes to bed for the night.

I'm just frusterate because I am at the point where I really want to get this weight off and I'm down to do whatever it takes. However, breastfeeding comes first. I exclusively pumped for a year for my son and will continue nursing my daughter for at least at year (I think I'll let her self wean). Thanks for your insight - I appreciate it!
  • photoshyY
    Options
    I still breastfeed. I drink a lot of water. I also just started drinking tea called mothers milk. It suppose to promote healthy lactation. I haven't been taking it long so cant say if it working.
  • AmandaNBarry
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nursing mother of a 4 month old... Im having a hard time loosing this baby weight, I guess I don't really know how to diet without crash dieting or being super restrictive. I lost 20 pounds last year over a few months, then found out I was expecting. Now I'm right back where I started. Looking for some nursing friends to go through this "healthy" weight loss journey together.