family breakfast help

Options
So a couple weeks ago I decided to start cooking breakfast for my family, since my husband frequently works late this gives us a chance to still sit down and have a meal as a family - very important to me! I'm not talking gourmet food here, just basic eggs and toast, occasionally pancakes or something; I usually have fruit and protein in the meal, and carbs only about 1/3 of the meal.However, this cooking breakfast most days deal is not helping my calorie intake. The fact that it is only 8:37 in the morning and I am already at half of my calorie allowance is disturbing. 1 scrambled egg (medium, not large), 1.5 slices of homemade zucchini bread, and 1/2 cup of strawberries should not equal 500+ calories!! I'm a little concerned about the MFP food database right now. Is it just me??

I'm open to suggestions for breakfasts, but keep in mind I have young kids who will try some new stuff, but like their regular "comfort foods." I'm not about to completely overhaul our entire diet for fad nutrition stuff, I'm more about keeping it real - especially for the kids. Thanks!

Replies

• kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I would guess it's the zucchini bread that's doing you in.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeah the zucchini bread is going to be high calories, unless you use a special low-cal recipe that is different from most.
  • kaelamercury
    Options
    you should try fruit smoothies! mix half a cup of straberries, blueberries, bananas, etc. with some ice and youre good to go! plus they taste awesome :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree with PP - eggs and fruit certainly aren't doing you in, I'd check out that zucchini bread. Do you add sugar? Made with lots of butter? (I don't think butter or fat is bad, FYI, it's just very calorie dense). I'd replace that with more protein - will keep you full longer.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So a couple weeks ago I decided to start cooking breakfast for my family, since my husband frequently works late this gives us a chance to still sit down and have a meal as a family - very important to me! I'm not talking gourmet food here, just basic eggs and toast, occasionally pancakes or something; I usually have fruit and protein in the meal, and carbs only about 1/3 of the meal.However, this cooking breakfast most days deal is not helping my calorie intake. The fact that it is only 8:37 in the morning and I am already at half of my calorie allowance is disturbing. 1 scrambled egg (medium, not large), 1.5 slices of homemade zucchini bread, and 1/2 cup of strawberries should not equal 500+ calories!! I'm a little concerned about the MFP food database right now. Is it just me??

I'm open to suggestions for breakfasts, but keep in mind I have young kids who will try some new stuff, but like their regular "comfort foods." I'm not about to completely overhaul our entire diet for fad nutrition stuff, I'm more about keeping it real - especially for the kids. Thanks!

Ditch the zucchini bread -it's mostly empty carbs. What nutrution are you getting from it? Protien? No. Potassium? Maybe a little. Sugar = empty calories. Eat more protein - IE Eat more eggs. You will stay full longer.
  • GeorgiaElliot
    Options
    Maybe you can try doing little modifications that can help cut your calories. For example, instead of scrambling 2 whole eggs, use 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. That will save you >50 calories per serving and still looks like the same amount when scrambled. Only eat 1 peice of zucchini bread (most recipes say around 200 cals per slice) and double your strawberries (50 cals per cup). Your breakfast will be bigger on your plate and it's the same foods. Original breakfast: 395 calories Modified breakfast: 340 calories, bigger, and more protein. If the only thing you change is just skip the 1/2 slice of zucchini bread you'll save 100 calories.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We often do 1 egg, 1 piece of wheat toast, and 2 slices of bacon, and some orange juice. If you still want the zucchini bread try using unsweetened applesauce in place of the butter. I do that with banana bread (as well as reduce sugar). It cuts both calories and fat and still tastes yummy. We also use applesauce in our pancakes. Lately we have been making hash using potatoes, a little meat (bacon or ham), a few eggs, red bell peppers, onions, and a little seasoning with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My breakfast rarely makes it over 400.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    when making the zucchini bread try to use apple sauce instead of oil. it tastes great and makes a big difference!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I agree, take the bread out. Have egg whites, turkey bacon or turkey sausage. Also, I never drink my calories. Have water if you're having juice.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Try subbing a low cal wrap for the zucchini bread. Wrap up your scrambled egg in it..maybe add a little breakfast meat like bacon bits, and add a little salsa. Kids should like that, too.
  • golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is two large scrambled eggs (sub. egg whites for fewer calories) wrapped in a small soft taco shell, with chunky salsa and reduced fat shredded cheese. Around 300 calories, and keeps me full well into lunch time.
    This is something my fiancee will eat as well, since it's cheesy and savory. You can even freeze burritos like this for mornings you're in a hurry.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    1 whole egg = 70
    1/2 cup strawberries = 25
    You're eating 400 calories' worth of bread every morning? Are you sure that's correct?
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also - find balance and variety! On the days I want to eat an obnoxious size breakfast (2 eggs, fruit, some potato & pepper hash or eggs, cheese and bacon) my lunch is big, green and leafy with a bit of cheese thrown in.

Other days I take regular oatmeal and mix in some pb, touch of honey and almond slices or berry, whatever handy item I have. Then lunch is still green and leafy but it has half a sandwich or a medium pita mixed in.