Running??

Options
hfzimmerman
hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
Hello I was wondering if anyone has had success with running and better eating habits? If so how f what were your results

Replies

• WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I was just walking. I AM NOT A RUNNER!!! I downloaded the C2 5K app on my iTouch, and I LOVE it. It's like having a personal running trainer with me. And when I'm done, MAN does it feel good! I started small...running for 1min straight felt SOO tiring. Now I'm up to running 8min sessions. (Not a HUGE thing, but certainly a far cry from where I started). I feel as if it's made a BIG difference. Not only do I feel better, but my body shape is, well, shaping up! lol Good luck!!!
  • hfzimmerman
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I was reading up and it says to start where you run a little than jog than run etc til your body gets use to running more. I really want to give it a try
  • lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just started running last week, I downloaded the couch to 5k app too and its worth it! I feel so good when I'm done and it paces you so you can get used to it so its 100% doable. I never thought id be able to run lol
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in October 09. I have since run two half marathons, innumerable 5ks, The Peachtree twice, Warrior Dash twice....the list goes on and on. I am currently training for a full marathon. Long story short, you can do it. Persevere. It is amazing what you can do if you set your mind to it. Don't quit. Start off S-L-O-W and then Slow Down even more. LOL. That was the best advice I got. Don't worry about speed. Just run (jog). Good luck. Friend me...I'll try to motivate you!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, I've lost 40 pounds since then and look like a totally different person!!! Not to mention I feel phenomenal.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hated running, and couldn't run more than 30 seconds when I first started. I found out about Couch to 5K and that helped greatly! Now I run a couple miles every night or so and feel great! I think if you incorporate some HIIT into a few workouts you'll get results! Good luck to you!
  • dkimbriel
    dkimbriel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started running almost 2 years and 45 pounds ago. It definitely is a way to lose weight and keep it off. I had the help of a doctor, pills and diet plan also. It's takes a village to make me lose weight. The key is to set a goal. I started in November for a half marathon in February. WRONG!!!! I only ran about a 1/3 of that first marathon. The next year I ran most of it. Try a goal of a 5k in 6 months. When I started, I couldn't run for 3 minutes straight. At first, just go for a walk and run a spurt here and a spurt there until you can run for 30 seconds straight times about 6 runs. When you get to that point, sign up for a 5k and get the longest free training plan they have. I had to work up to the beginning point on the training plan. Then once you do your first 5k and don't die in the process, you will be hooked and will be looking at half marathons and maybe even a marathon one day. The big advantage to running is that you are focusing on running goals and not on weight loss. But you have to keep counting calories and looking at nutrition. I still use myfitnesspal everyday. and probably always will.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Success with running? Depends largely on your definition of success.

I've lost weight through running and eating more sensibly (at my heaviest I was around 235, now I'm down below 200 and would still like to get to 180 or so). The real benefits of running are in the form of improved overall health. My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol numbers are great and, perhaps most importantly, my sense of well being is much better than it used to be.

Running is one of those activities that all you need is a good pair of running shoes, somewhere to run, a sensible plan to keep you injury free and the determination to get out the door and do it (or get on your treadmill if that's your preference).
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have gone from my first run since high school on Jan 1st this year to completing a 5k Spartan Race late in the spring and a 10k last week.

In this time I have grown to love running.

The only little piece of advice I can offer is to start slow and build over time.

A friend used the C25K program to start running a little after I started. This looked like a good program. Might be worth a look see?

As for eating better, I started this late spring last year. This helped me lose almost 90 lbs in 2011.

As an aside, my initial cardio exercise after I started eating better was my bike. Lots of long, slow and steady rides!

Remember to have fun with what ever activity you chose! It is easy to build an exercise habit if the activity is fun!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I run about 35 miles a week now. I count that as a success, given that when I started I could run for about 60seconds.

As Brian said above, you need to define your terms. What do you mean by 'success'?

In weightloss terms, yes, running helps you to lose weight.

In fitness terms... running builds endurance, and improves your cardiovascular fitness. My resting heart rate is in the mid 40s, and my recovery rate is great. When I started running, I used to have to lay down for an hour, panting after a short run. I am now pretty much breathing normally within a minute of finishing a long run. I can run for 13 miles straight, and will feel tired afterwards, but not completely floored. I'd count this as great success.

In terms of general wellbeing, running reduces my stress levels - I no longer take beta blockers to manage anxiety.

Perhaps best of all, running gives me a greater sense of self-efficacy, and more trust in my ability to do things. It makes me feel capable and increases my faith in my body.

Were these the kinds of successes you were referring to, or just losing a bit of weight?
  • TrishRyan
    TrishRyan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight a little over 4 months ago now and every day of those 4 months I ran every morning, Still do (I haven't missed one day). I started off running 1 minute and walking 2, running 2 minutes walking one, running 3 minutes walking 1. I was going to slowly build myself up but one day I woke up and said "I'm going to run today and not stop till I have to and see how long I can run for". I now run 2 miles in 20 minutes. I am working my way up to going faster and longer so that I can run a half marathon and eventually a full marathon.

With all that being said I have lost 45 lbs in the last 4 months!!! :happy:

In the past few weeks I have added in strength by doing the 30 Day shred. I also eat extremely healthy and don't ever have "Cheat meals or days". I drink 10-14 cups of water a day and nothing else. Hope this helps :)
  • ndlauren
    ndlauren Posts: 17
    Options
    I took up running just over two years ago. Growing up playing sports, running was always a form of punishment. Miss a shot? Go run. Lose a game? Go run. So, it was built into my mind that running was punishment, so it took me a while to break through that mental barrier. When I started I oculdn't even run a mile. But, by slowly but surely increasing both mileage and time ratio of run to walk, I built up over the course of the first nine months to running my first half marathon (very slowly, but I finished).

Now, I'm completely addicted, and just like others have mentioned, there are so many health benefits I've seen. I used to get sick quite often and have been almost completely healthy over these past two years. My recommendation has always been not to increase mileage too quickly, otherwise you run the risk of injuries, so by following my own advice, I've been injury free. I'm happier, and from a weight loss perspective, I'm down 65 pounds. I'm still going - I've got three more marathons on my calendar over the next 6 months, and I think I can get down to my ultimate weight loss goal by the end of the third race.

If you need any tips or suggestions, feel free to reach out.
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    :smile: Running is now FABULOUS! I started the C25K program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) 11 weeks ago - I repeated week 2 and week 9 - and now I can run more than three miles. I agree with one of the other posters - you don't have to be super speedy, and all you need is a good pair of shoes and somewhere to run.

I'm at the point where I'm mapping out my runs to see how I can get more mileage in and planning my other activities around my running. I'm also planning to add some HIIT routines so I can get my speed up. Good luck, I know you can do it!!! I'm here for support if ya need me. :)

Oh, and I have lost 25 pounds since February (joined MFP in June) :drinker: :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I find I can run for much longer if I eat much more than usual the day before.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try the C25K program. I have always despised running - partly because I felt like a BIG FAT SLOB pounding away at the treadmill....BUT I just started this program last week (so I'm on week 2) & I love it so far. I am actually starting to LIKE running. Amazing right?

Good luck to you!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Success, how? With weight loss I assume?

Eating habits are the only thing that affect my success. If I'm not eating right, I don't have success, regardless of how much I run (or any exercise, for that matter).
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Absolutely! I started running over a year ago and in that time I've lost 20 pounds or so. My weight loss stalled when I trained for a marathon - but over the past 3 weeks I've been eating 90% at home and running 3x a week and have dropped nearly 7 pounds! If you aren't a runner, try C25K - that's how I started and it is pretty amazing!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I dreamed I was running last night. (I do not run) It was amazing. I was just gliding. Those Olympics. They get a girl dreaming. I have, seriously, been considering attempting to at least jog. I walk nearly daily. I love walking. Running? Intimidating. Best of luck. You are young. Start now. No hesitation.
  • hfzimmerman
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I want to lose weight yes but even more than that I want to reshape my body, if I'm 257 pounds like I am now but I'm fit that's fine with me. I also want to improve my overall health. I have some heart problems so the more I can do to make my heart strong and healthy the better.
  • FearlessLissy13
    Options
    When I started a couple of months ago, it was pure torture... Now I love it! It's my favorite form of cardio, and I don't run to lose weight anymore. I run when I'm extremely happy or sad, frustrated, overwhelmed, or when I just need to clear my head.
    Running = therapy.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K and am on Week 7 Day 2. Iam really glad I started this program. It motivates you and you feel like you can do it even though it may seem daunting when you look at the amount of time they want you to run. I had a really hard time getting from Week 6 to 7, but I just slowed down my pace and was able to run the full 25 minutes without stopping. I have lost 11lbs since March, but fell off the wagon in July (vacation in Jamaica). I am back on and plan on finishing C25K and moving onto 5k210k in 3 weeks. My goal is to lose 20-25 more lbs for a total of 35lb weight loss taking me to 120lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!