Drinking Water, Any Tips ?

Options
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to drink more water. At the moment I struggle to drink a cup a day, not because I don't like it (although I will admit Dr Pepper does taste nice) it's more that I never feel like I need a drink of something.
I hope that made sense :S

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I used to not drink enough water, and now I love water. What I started to do was add lemon slices to my water, made it have a little taste!
  • cafygirl
    Options
    I am not fond of drinking water so I put one of those crystal lite packets in mine and find that I will drink more water. Also adding a lemon to your water is refreshing too. I agree with you though Dr Pepper is yummy but what my Dr told me is that by drinking soda pop it will increase your want for more sweets. I of course still drink a coke zero but only one a day :) Anyway...good luck and cheers to you.:drinker:
  • Jennerkins
    Options
    One way to make water more desirable to me is to get those crystal light or off brand flavored powder packets to pour into my water. They're only 10 calories per pack and they taste very good. Also what makes me really thirsty is moving. Like even if I just go on a short walk outside, I come back and I'm so thirsty. Drinking a lot of water throughout the day does get easier though after doing it a while, I am at the point where it is pretty much all I ever want to drink; I do 8 to 10 cups a day. Watch out for diet sodas though, they tend to have a lot of sodium in them which can bloat your tummy.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Personally if my thirst never kicked in Id see a doctor- I would wonder if thats a sign of something more serious. Dehydration is no joke and most ppl walk around dehydrated on the regular and they wonder why they are foggy, have head aches, muscle aches and various other ailments.

Find an 8 oz glass- keep it at the sink and slam one before and after each meal for starters- that will at least get you started to 8 glasses a day. Then make it a 16 oz glass (what I do) and slam those at least after the meal if not before as well.

Have a glass before and after your shower, before and after a work out, before and after work- any places in your day where it would be convenient to just walk over to the sink and get a drink. Not hard just gotta make yourself do it.
  • katedances
    Options
    I hate water, being perfectly honest. When I would try to get eight glasses a day in with nothing in it, I would gag on it. I know that's ridiculous but I just can't stand it for some reason.

So I use Propel Zero packets are the Crystal Light Pure. I use them because they don't have aspartame like other water sweeteners, which gives me a migraine, plus the Propel has no calories but it has a ton of flavor.

Also try drinking water whenever you feel hungry, because sometimes it's your body signaling you that you're dehydrated so instead of overeating you're hydrating yourself.

Plus if you just don't want to drink water, I'm the same way, I always make myself drink a few glasses of water before dinner or before you have that soda, that way, you have on soda and not multiple. Hope that helps!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I chose a nice red glass for work every time i go to the loo i go and get a glass of water, but whilst i'm at the water station i will drink half and fill it up again. Also I drink a glass while my dinner or lunch is cooking and one after. It helped me up the water intake, its funny cause i'm drinking more water than ever and now i feel thirsty!
  • RiyaO
    RiyaO Posts: 19
    Options
    I think it's something you just get accustomed to once you start. I'm at my desk for a major part of the day and make sure I have a bottle by me through out the day. Adding crystal light helps change it up- and they have various flavors. I just try to mix it up by brewing teas, etc. Sometimes when really desperate to get water in, I'll just chug a glass.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me I could drink wylers lite lemonade. I use on package for a quart of water so it has the lemon taste but only 1.25 calories per cup.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Personally if my thirst never kicked in Id see a doctor- I would wonder if thats a sign of something more serious. Dehydration is no joke and most ppl walk around dehydrated on the regular and they wonder why they are foggy, have head aches, muscle aches and various other ailments.

Find an 8 oz glass- keep it at the sink and slam one before and after each meal for starters- that will at least get you started to 8 glasses a day. Then make it a 16 oz glass (what I do) and slam those at least after the meal if not before as well.

Have a glass before and after your shower, before and after a work out, before and after work- any places in your day where it would be convenient to just walk over to the sink and get a drink. Not hard just gotta make yourself do it.

So true!

Also, since I've never been a big water drinker, other than sometimes adding flavor packets... I always keep ice water at my desk at work. Drink a cup first thing in the am, since Bob Harper says to do this to help boost your metabolism. But also, I don't let myself have my mid morning snack after breakfast until I've drank my first 24oz glass of ice water. Just a motivator, maybe it'll help you too. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like/hate water. It depends on how I feel...sometimes I love it, sometimes I can't stand the taste.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am such a dork, but I always drink more water if it is out of some sort of container that I like. For a while I used one of those insulated Starbucks cups with the straw. Now I have a new bottle from there that is actually glass which is fan-freaking-tastic becuase it doesn't alter the taste of the water at all. I also prefer ice cold water if possible.

Also, when I was working, I would plan to drink 3 glasses of water before I left the house. One immediately after waking up, one after my shower, and one more before leaving.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain water ... tried many many times, now I just don't worry about.
    I drink lots of other things.... ice tea, coffee, decaf coffee, almond milk, diet v8 splash, protein shakes etc...

Find something you like to drink and drink it. If it has calories, track it in your food diary and well as counting it towards fluid intake.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I bought a 24 ounce cup with a straw (then I bought about 10 more...:happy: ) and I always have it full at my desk. When I go to the bathroom, I fill it and if it's not empty, I drink it all and then refill it. When I get home, I refill it at least twice. I drink an entire glass of it during lunch and dinner, too. The next day, I get a clean one out and start all over. I like to put half a lemon in there and leave it all day. Makes it a little better. I also have un-sweet iced tea a lot.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There must be a lot of us that just don't like water. Here's my thing on water: It tastes disgusting. With that said, the water is a really important part of losing weight. So I use MIO water enhancer (other's use lemon or something), and then after my two cups of coffee in the morning, I don't allow myself to drink a diet Dr. Pepper or anything else until all of my water is done for the day. That could take any number of hours. When I finally get my Dr. Pepper, it's more of a reward. You may not be feeling thirsty, but for sure your body is. Try it out and see if you can't make a game out of it.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I really like sparkling water like Gerolsteiner. But, this route can get expensive. I avoid sugar, of course, but also avoid artificial sweetners since its proven they stimulate the appetite and lead to obesity. So, at other times I just have to remind myself to 'just do it'.

Edit; Seriously. Its not like drinking water is torture.
  • MissRemmers
    Options

This is absolutely great advice! Thanks for sharing!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    To drink more water in a day, fill up a glass or other sort of container that is water proof, with water. From there, bring it to your mouth and drink it.
  • BallsofFire
    Options
    I actually found this from another post earlier on here: Mio! It's about $4 and it'll flavor 24 oz of water. I've bought it at places like Raley's, Walmart, Target and you add 1/2 tsp for every 8 oz of water. I have a 16oz glass mug that I fill to the top and add 1 tsp. But I also suggest totally getting rid of sweet drinks (not talking about mio) and drinking at least one 8 oz. of water a day. I really think you'll come to love water! It's refreshing and I now drink at least 8oz. with every main meal because I like the way it cool, "washes" everything down and cleans my taste buds for another tasty bit! :)
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I bought a 24 ounce cup with a straw (then I bought about 10 more...:happy: ) and I always have it full at my desk. When I go to the bathroom, I fill it and if it's not empty, I drink it all and then refill it. When I get home, I refill it at least twice. I drink an entire glass of it during lunch and dinner, too. The next day, I get a clean one out and start all over. I like to put half a lemon in there and leave it all day. Makes it a little better. I also have un-sweet iced tea a lot.

OMGosh! Me, too! The 24oz cup with straw makes all the difference with me and then I bought more, too. I make myself drink a minimum of 3 full cups a day and more if I need it. Although, I do add MIO to it, but now have regular water anytime at restaurants and such.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to choke down a gallon of water a day... but my biggest problem is going to the bathroom every hour...makes long car trips a no-go...