no calories burned for doing strength exercises?

Options
doing this for about 1 month so far. I love exercising. The food part is more challenging to me. Why is it that you don't burn calories when you do strength exercises. I want credit for those:happy:

Replies

• JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I lift and record the burn in a custom exercise I made....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Record "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" under cardiovascular exercises to get your calorie credit!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I lift and record the burn in a custom exercise I made....
    Careful doing this, HRMs are designed to calculate burn only during cardiovascular activity. Your heart rate spikes when lifting and will give you a higher reading than you actually burn.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't enter my strength stuff, but enter my cardio. That way it looks like I have less calories to spend, and I don't spend them.
  • shaness1
    Options
    I asked that same question a week ago. LOL You can find most of the exercises in cardio. Like lifting weights push ups ect....
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't enter my strength stuff, but enter my cardio. That way it looks like I have less calories to spend, and I don't spend them.

I do the same. I train street dance twice a week and weight training three times a week. I only log the street dance.
  • SusanneZook
    Options
    thanks for the info. I think I will just enter my cardio. That sounds like a good way to go.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    The real benefits from weight lifting and wight loss is that you are building muscle mass. And the more muscle mass, the more calories you naturally burn.