40 something yr old women?

Options
Getting back on track with myfitnesspal today! I noticed metabolism dropped at around 30 yo and again at around 40. Anyone else with the same issue? Frustrating! Gotta get off here and get to the gym. Look forward to responses.

Replies

• doribrand
    Options
    Hi, I am Dori. I live in Eugene, Oregon. I am 43 and noticed the same thing. Gotta work harder than before. Make sure to have your vitals checked at the next doctor appt. Don't want your thyroid being off.

I am planning a vacation at the beginning of December. I need a friend to be accountable to. I would love to be your friend online and help you out too. Let me know if you are interested. It really encourages me to see people post when they exercise, or ate under their calorie goal. I hope that I can encourage you too.
    Your new friend,
    Dori
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That sounds great Dori! I'm 43 as well, and I know what u mean about vacation accountability! My husband used to live in Eugene for 5 yrs! Thanks for the friend invite!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Aging really sucks, eh? ;-)

I'm in mid 50s and noticed that as well ... turning 50 really made a noticeable impact. Like I passed the Best Before Date. MFP has been great--lots of support here and weight loss research has shown that and recording everything one eats (no exceptions) is the way to get results. Good luck!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I agree - you have to work harder and harder! BUT on the plus side - even though I"m 5 lbs over my goal weight, I'm in the best shape ever in my life! Lots more muscles with great definition and actually starting to run! Never thought that was possible!!
  • Coconutfrosting
    Coconutfrosting Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Going out for an indulgant meal or a bit of a blow out nowadays means either starving in preparation (I know, I know!) or my scales screaming "Get off!!" afterwards. Unlike you, I don't do the gym but love walking, gardening etc so I plan on getting my exercise this way.

Good luck with this.. I hope I can be of some support :smile:
  • sedechenne
    Options
    Seems to be a consensus here. I'm 47 and didn't like hearing that there would be another downslide in early 50s! I started out life with a high metabolism and lots of exercise which I continued fairly regularly until 2 years ago when a series of health issues made it difficult. I finally realized that I have to record what I eat but hated writing it down. I love this program and have the app for my ipad. I am able to exercise regularly again (looking forward to my first 10K since a half-marathon in January 2010) but the weight I gained wouldn't leave. Since beginning with this app (where I don't actually have to write it down) I've lost 10 lbs in six weeks! It helps me make healthier choices and I love being able to determine what calories are in resteraunt food.
  • cj_ks
    cj_ks Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree!! I didn't think 40 was bad, until the scale kept creeping up and up!

I started MFP over the weekend and so far I LOVE this site!! But I need more friends to encourage and be encouraged. I was hoping to find the 40ish age group!

Wanna be friends?? Add me!! Anyone?? :smile:
  • 66tlc
    66tlc Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree!! I didn't think 40 was bad, until the scale kept creeping up and up!

I started MFP over the weekend and so far I LOVE this site!! But I need more friends to encourage and be encouraged. I was hoping to find the 40ish age group!

Wanna be friends?? Add me!! Anyone?? :smile:
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    <--41. It sucks and it's cruel. :sad:
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies...44 years old and hell yeah it gets harder and harder. However with a little help and encouragement from close friends, I work out on a regular basis and am more aware of the food I eat. There's always room for more support and encouragement and am willing to offer the same and reciprocate. Good luck with all who are and remain on track for a healthier you!!!
  • supatim
    supatim Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I'll trade your 41 for a mountain of women 10 years younger! You look fantastic! Now you hush child! :grumble:
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

i will say this...It got MUCH easier when i started lifting weights...seriously.

i look better than i ever expected.

and i am not done.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 next June, does that count? I've struggled with my weight all my life, but it's gotten so much harder after 35ish. I used to just have to watch what I eat and be able to drop a few pounds. Not any more! Diet and exercise is the only thing working for me now and it's still slow, but it's steady. Oh and like Jules2Be, lifting weights was the way to go for me too. Cardio did nothing for me, strange how things change as we get older.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Wont be hard hunting cougars today!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree that our metabolism slows down because we do. I think if we add weight lifting we will see a noticiable difference. I did. I'm 47 years old and my gyno told me (she about the same age) that i must accept the fact that I can't eat anything if i want to lose weight. I disagree. I think nothing is off limits as long as its done with some common sense...

I've learned on this journey. That is we lift weights like a man we will see amazing results. Will burn more fat and will feel better. I love MFP. Its dispelled so many of the exercise weight loss myths that I had engrained in my brain. I don't think its any harder to stay in shape as it was 30 years ago. Its just that we have less time to focus on it. As teens we had unlimited time to do what we needed to do. Now the constraints of family and jobs interfere with our goals. But... if we set a goal and set our minds to it we can be fierce..

Life is so much sweeter at our age ladies. Embrace it.....

Much success to everyone...
  • supatim
    supatim Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wont be hard hunting cougars today!

Be vewy vewy quiet....
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    I'm 40 and it's a lot harder to loose weight.....however I noticed when I got back into a regular exercise routine and started adding weights, I'm noticing a steady weight loss....also changed my diet, only clean eating here....age is just a number, we can do this ladies at any age:)
  • lizzyanne61
    Options
    Well, that's a fact! Our metabolism slows as we gain body fat and lose muscle which does start around age 30. Had it not been for Curves I would be in big trouble, but my Curves workout and the new "Curves Complete" (diet/exercise/motivation) keeps me at a good weight. If I fall off the wagon I can get right back on!
    Wow, I sound like a commercial... LOL
    Ima CurvesGirl!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

I'll trade your 41 for a mountain of women 10 years younger! You look fantastic! Now you hush child! :grumble:

Thank you. :smooched:
  • dmbgoral
    dmbgoral Posts: 27
    Options
    HI, I'm marybeth
    I noticed the same thing..when I hit 30, and 40..now at 42 trying to get back into shape.
    Good luck with your goals!