Vegan meatloaf, gluten & dairy free

Options
AimeeZingLife
AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
I have served this to many friends who rave about it. My boyfriend is always begging me to make more of it and refers to it as "Bomb!" I'm new to MyFitnessPal, so please add me!

Here's the recipe I found and modified:
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lentils
1/4 cup quinoa (Has all essential amino acids found in meat).
1 small onion, diced
1 cup quick-cooking oat (Oats are gluten free, however there may cross contamination if prepared in a plant where wheat products are also prepared).
3/4 cup grated cheese (cheddar, swiss, jack or american). (I used Daiya dairy, lactose, gluten, soy, cholesterol and casein free pepperjack style shreds, but if you don't care about the former stuff you can use regular cheese).
1 egg, beaten
4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce (or 4.5 ounces tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley. (I actually like to chop up a bunch of fresh parsley).
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
2 Add lentils and quinoa and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
3 Remove from fire.
4 Drain and partially mash lentils.
5 Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
6 Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
7 Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
8 Mix well.
9 Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased.
10 Smooth top with back of spoon.
11 Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
12 Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
13 Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.

Replies

• bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It sounds good, but it isn't vegan if the recipe has egg and dairy in it.
  • AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. It's supposed to say vegetarian meatloaf. There are different types of vegetarians, and the cheese is dairy free. Read my sidenote by the cheese.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have served this to many friends who rave about it. My boyfriend is always begging me to make more of it and refers to it as "Bomb!" I'm new to MyFitnessPal, so please add me!

Here's the recipe I found and modified:
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup lentils
    1/4 cup quinoa (Has all essential amino acids found in meat).
    1 small onion, diced
    1 cup quick-cooking oat (Oats are gluten free, however there may cross contamination if prepared in a plant where wheat products are also prepared).
    3/4 cup grated cheese (cheddar, swiss, jack or american). (I used Daiya dairy, lactose, gluten, soy, cholesterol and casein free pepperjack style shreds, but if you don't care about the former stuff you can use regular cheese).
    1 egg, beaten
    4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce (or 4.5 ounces tomato sauce)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 tablespoon dried parsley. (I actually like to chop up a bunch of fresh parsley).
    1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
    Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
    2 Add lentils and quinoa and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
    3 Remove from fire.
    4 Drain and partially mash lentils.
    5 Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
    6 Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
    7 Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
    8 Mix well.
    9 Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased.
    10 Smooth top with back of spoon.
    11 Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
    12 Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
    13 Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.
    I'm bumping this recipe. Thank You :smile:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It sounds good. I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing. I also use the Daiya cheeses.
  • kjvgirl
    kjvgirl Posts: 10
    Options
    Great recipe. Will have to try it. Sounds yummy
  • Beth71284
    Beth71284 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thank you!
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    bump
  • lose2gainit
    Options
    Hi i was going to try your meatloaf recipe that said it was vegan but as reading i seeyou put in an egg.? Ok i see someone posted about the egg,
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Having friends over...she has a gluten intolerance and her daughter is lactose intolerant...this is perfect! Thanks for posting!