HIGH protein LOW calorie foods

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes of foods that are high in protein and low in calorie (other than egg whites LOL)
Please post :smile: :happy:

it can be anything!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Seafood
    Tuna, monkfish, roughy, pout, cuttlefish, clams and crayfish are low-cal, high-protein foods. A 3 oz. serving of tuna has 22g of protein and 99 calories. Atlantic salmon, by comparison, provides 10g more of protein in the same serving but has triple the calories. Shellfish may have more cholesterol than you want in your diet. For example, a 3 oz. serving of crayfish, which has roughly 13mg of protein, has 91mg of cholesterol, almost 1/3 of your daily DMV for cholesterol. A 3 oz. serving of roughy, by comparison, provides almost 14g of protein and has only 51mg of cholesterol.

Cottage Cheese
    A cup of non-fat cottage cheese has 15mg of protein and only 104 calories.

Eggs
    If you'd like to cut the cholesterol out of your omelets, one cup of egg whites has only 117 calories, provides more than 26mg of protein and has no cholesterol.

Chicken
    Three slices of oven-roasted, fat-free chicken provide slightly more than 10mg of protein, with fewer than 50 calories.

Soy
    Edamame is a popular, low-cal, high-protein snack, with 12g of protein in a 3.75 oz. serving, providing 120 calories. Unlike sources of protein from animal products, edamame is a cholesterol-free food.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/243833-a-list-of-low-calorie-high-protein-foods/
  • sarineb12
    Options
    Wow thank you for all the help! I will definitely start purchasing tuna and chicken more often! Thanks for being so informative, helped me alot :)
  • coliema
    Options
    No problem :)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Lean beef (sirloin, filets, cube steak) and anything at least 93% lean ground, white meat chicken (breast), pork loin, turkey breast, low and non-fat cheeses, protein powders (and some of these you need to watch), tofu, most wild game (fish and red meat).

Most other protein sources you get a lot of calories from something other than the protein, so even calling them "low calorie" I wouldn't call them high protein to fit the criteria.

and oops...sorry, no recipies here (misread the title).
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your livstrong article uses mg in place of g in several instances. 15mg for 104 calories? That's incorrect (and pathetic if it were true).
  • coliema
    Options
    Your livstrong article uses mg in place of g in several instances. 15mg for 104 calories? That's incorrect (and pathetic if it were true).
    I didn't write the article so you don't need to tell me that. You can contact livestrong* and tell them that you think that.
  • JayByrd107
    Options
    But you quoted it word for word here; don't act like it's all their fault.
  • coliema
    Options

Yes, I quoted it and posted the link below it for proof of where I got my information. Copy and pasted... WORD FOR WORD. So no, I didn't write the article, I copy and pasted it, as anyone could probably tell.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options

way to be nice about it.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Go away
  • coliema
    Options

LIVESTRONG.COM
    1333 2nd Street, Suite 100
    Santa Monica, CA 90401
    USA

There you go.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    really?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JayByrd107
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.
  • coliema
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.

Oh really? Because I knew it was wrong?

I'm sorry you know everything. You better get to answering everyone and correcting everything on this site as well as all the other sites on the internet that are faulty.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

One is not expected to proof every single article we read. The information was generally correct, and still quite useable.
    This is just my opinion here, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • JayByrd107
    Options
    Look, I don't know why you are getting so hostile over this. If you saw the word "pathetic" and thought I was referring to you, then it is just another #readingfail on your part. Think about it - 15mg of protein for 104 calories? Really? That would be 15 1/1000 of a gram...for over 100 calories. So, yes, it would be a pathetic source of protein. It's not a matter of knowing everything - it's called critical thinking.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Livestrong is just a content farm, I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

Protein has 4 calories per gram, so the high protein low calorie foods are going to be low carb low fat foods like lean meat and some types of fish etc.
  • coliema
    Options
    I'm not hostile, sorry you think that. You are making it sound like I wrote the article and that I need to proofread and correct every article that is faulty. How would I know if the website isn't right. I wasn't even posting to give her nutritional information, I was posting so she could get ideas of high protein and low calorie foods so therefore I do not care what you think.

Oh yes, and #thisisn'ttwitter.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

fanny