Eating back the calories I just lost working out?

Options
Ok, so I have a question here.
I have a set amount of calories at 1500cal a day ( yes I know its low for a man), which is the bare minimum suggested by livestrong.com. ;)

When I go jogging for 45 mins it adds on 447 calories to eat?
The reason I ask is because today I walked for 2hrs and 45mins and burned 505 calories, which pretty much pushed my calories to burn right back up to were I started.
So is MFP suggesting I eat all those calories back down til I HIT 0?

If this is the case I have no problem doing that, but I want to stick to my diet.
My goal is 158pounds (currently 162) this is were my body is tone and ripped, I'm almost there, but don't want to lose ground.
Anyone have an answer to this??

Edit:
I don't drink soda unless its diet and then very rarely, no candy just fruits for my sugar, I am pretty much eating healthy + 100 pull-ups every other they and medium wieght lifting to keep my muscle.
I take vitamin suppliments and eat alot of protein (egg whites), and make sure I'm not putting my body in starvation mode. :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    YES - eat back your exercise calories.

MFP built in the calore deficit BEFORE exercise. Just be careful .... if you are using calorie burn values from MFP (or a machine) ... they are most likely exaggerated.

Many people eat only a percentage of exercise caloires back for that reason. Eating at too high a caloire deficit will cause you to lose too much muscle mass. You just want to lose fat ... right?
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Ok, so I have a question here.
    I have a set amount of calories at 1500cal a day ( yes I know its low for a man), which is the bare minimum suggested by livestrong.com. ;)

When I go jogging for 45 mins it adds on 447 calories to eat?
    The reason I ask is because today I walked for 2hrs and 45mins and burned 505 calories, which pretty much pushed my calories to burn right back up to were I started.
    So is MFP suggesting I eat all those calories back down til I HIT 0?

If this is the case I have no problem doing that, but I want to stick to my diet.
    My goal is 158pounds (currently 162) this is were my body is tone and ripped, I'm almost there, but don't want to lose ground.
    Anyone have an answer to this??

Edit:
    I don't drink soda unless its diet and then very rarely, no candy just fruits for my sugar, I am pretty much eating healthy + 100 pull-ups every other they and medium wieght lifting to keep my muscle.
    I take vitamin suppliments and eat alot of protein (egg whites), and make sure I'm not putting my body in starvation mode. :)

NET calories are this:

I eat 1800 calories & I exercise for 600 calories. 1800 LESS 600 = 1200. This is the lowest daily calorie value MFP gives a woman.

These 1200 calories are required for healthy heart, lungs, kidney function (etc) ...... we can't lose weight on a schedule. Starvation mode is grossly exaggerated.
  • darbear007
    Options
    This was the answer I was looking for thank you! :)
    Yes, I don't want to lose muscle mass.
    As soon as I hit my weight goal, I'll be pushing my calorie's up to 1900 to 2100 a day to maintain my weight. ;)
    I was only using the MFP burn value, I usually will eat 40 to 60cal over whatever my daily cal intake is.
    Atm its 1530.
    I have been eating all calories burned back, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't understanding it wrong lol!
    I'll be happy to eat all of them back, kinda feels like cheating haha...
  • darbear007
    Options
    So your set calorie is 1200 and your burning 600 a day, which allows you to eat 1800 cals a day.

Hows that working for you? :)
  • TeaBea
    Options
    So your set calorie is 1200 and your burning 600 a day, which allows you to eat 1800 cals a day.

Hows that working for you? :)

This works fine for me .... I do use a heart rate monitor for workouts (that helps). I am close to goal (and over 50) ... so I expect to lose weight slower. Also, my activity level is set to sedentary (I don't want to double count anything).

Some people will set their activity level higher to include workouts .... and then "log" the exercise calorie burns as zero (a manual entry). It's up to you, just play with the numbers a bit & see. If you start to feel run down, then you know you are not eating enough. If you are losing slower than expected, then you need to eat less. This won't be exact.
  • darbear007
    Options
    Glad to hear it is doing you good.
    I run/jog 5 to 6 days a week so pushing my activity to light was the least I could do. hehe ;)
    I think 1530 is low for a man, and low for someone who works out as much as I do, but I figured, 1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds a week is good til I hit my desired weight.

I wish you much success with your goal TeaBea. :))