Running??

Options

Replies

• phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I never used to be able to jog/run at all partly because I'm really concious about being seen out in public because I look nothing like a runner/athlete lol and also because I'm not fit at all but I got the courage to do it in the end, so I downloaded the C25K podcasts and started doing it at 5am, I felt great after my first day of it even though it was only 1 minute jogs, I felt like i had made a breakthrough with jogging, I'm now on week 4 which yes it's hard but after I have finished each day I always feel like I have achieved something!

Once I have completed week 9 I'm definately going to keep the jogging up, there's a mud runner course that one of my friends does so there might be a chance that I do it next year, apparantly it's very hard to do but enjoyable.
  • TrishRyan
    TrishRyan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight a little over 4 months ago now and every day of those 4 months I ran every morning, Still do (I haven't missed one day). I started off running 1 minute and walking 2, running 2 minutes walking one, running 3 minutes walking 1. I was going to slowly build myself up but one day I woke up and said "I'm going to run today and not stop till I have to and see how long I can run for". I now run 2 miles in 20 minutes. I am working my way up to going faster and longer so that I can run a half marathon and eventually a full marathon.

With all that being said I have lost 45 lbs in the last 4 months!!! :happy:

In the past few weeks I have added in strength by doing the 30 Day shred. I also eat extremely healthy and don't ever have "Cheat meals or days". I drink 10-14 cups of water a day and nothing else. Hope this helps :)

Amazing! :) So motivating! Do you run on a treadmill or outside or both?

I don't have a treadmill so I run outside. It just starts my day off really well and it really helps me eat healthy for the rest of the day, why would I waste all that time to wake up early and go run if I'm going to ruin it with bad food? That's just my outlook on it :)
  • TrishRyan
    TrishRyan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight a little over 4 months ago now and every day of those 4 months I ran every morning, Still do (I haven't missed one day). I started off running 1 minute and walking 2, running 2 minutes walking one, running 3 minutes walking 1. I was going to slowly build myself up but one day I woke up and said "I'm going to run today and not stop till I have to and see how long I can run for". I now run 2 miles in 20 minutes. I am working my way up to going faster and longer so that I can run a half marathon and eventually a full marathon.

you really should take a rest day every now and then. Your body needs them to recover and get stronger and better.

I started running because I splurged on a treadmill $200 for a $1,200 TM at Sears Outlet :) and I was determined to actually use it. I started with intervals until I could run awhile and then transitioned outdoors. Now I only use the treadmill during really crappy weather and such. My body's gotten leaner and more toned and I just feel better. Eating healthy is still a struggle.

I completely understand what your saying. However, I feel like its just part of my routine now its just like showering or brushing my teeth or breathing haha. I do listen to what my body tells me and if I ever need to take a break I will. I just feel that for right now I'm ok with what I am doing. I still would like to lose another 25 lbs and I think once that happens it will be much easier for me to start taking days off. I really appreciate the advice and I will take it one day :p
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    SO, I started running (walking fast) on a tredmill about 6 months ago. I Hate every second of it. All I think about while on the tredmill is "Am I there yet? I hate this!!!!" lol I could not even jog for more than 15 seconds at that time.

So, when I could no longer afford the gym a couple of weeks ago, I was forced to run in public. Amazingly, my first run in public was 3.5 miles at a reasonable 4.5 mph (jog). I could not believe I got so far. THe big differences were that there was beautiful scenery and I brought a friend along to distract me. I didn't think bad things at all!\

So, I am trying my best to keep at it - I still do not love running, but I feel accomplished (WAY more than running on a tredmill) and that keeps me going. My goal is 5 miles by the end of the month.

As far as weight loss success...I have gained about 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks - but everything I read says that is normal for a new running routine and it should go away in week 3 - so I hope to see that come off very soon. AND, I hope I learn to love running because it is so good for me.
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments, support and motivation! I would be running outside as I don't have s treadmill and I find looking at the same thing boring. My doctor has given me the okay to do cardio whatever that may be the only restriction she has put on me is if my symptoms pop out to stop what I'm doing and to not do p90x until I've lost weight/ my body is more use to exercising. I also have asthma but it doesn't seem to be exercised induced. I also suffer from PTSD and depression so those that have commented on improved moods is really inspiring to me as I would one day like to be off or at least at a lower dose of my medication. Does anyone have a running shoe they would recommend? Thanks again!
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments, support and motivation! I would be running outside as I don't have s treadmill and I find looking at the same thing boring. My doctor has given me the okay to do cardio whatever that may be the only restriction she has put on me is if my symptoms pop out to stop what I'm doing and to not do p90x until I've lost weight/ my body is more use to exercising. I also have asthma but it doesn't seem to be exercised induced. I also suffer from PTSD and depression so those that have commented on improved moods is really inspiring to me as I would one day like to be off or at least at a lower dose of my medication. Does anyone have a running shoe they would recommend? Thanks again!

I like New Balance and Nike running shoes, but if you want to try barefoot running I would suggest Vibrams or Skeletoes.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i joined mfp in march 2011. at that time, i was just walking and logging food. i lost 19 pounds that way. i started running in may 2011. i lost another 16 pounds from may to december. i lost the final 11 pounds after i added in some cross training (dvds at home - strength and cardio) in january of this year.

eta: i also have asthma, and it seems to be better controlled if i am exercising (i take a daily inhaler for it).
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I found running and MFP to be a great combination to reshape my body.

I started MFP on January 5th this year... and weighed 320 pounds.

Three weeks later, I weighed 307 and also started C25K.

In the 6+ months since then, I've dropped another 63 pounds (total of 76 pounds this year) and I have run:

3 5K races
    1 10K race
    1 10 mile race

A total of over 420 miles this year and I am training for my first Half Marathon next month.

C25K is awesome... trust the program and know that YOU CAN DO IT.

Ted
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    Running is the best way to stay in shape. Throughout my life, each time I have stopped running, I have lost my fitness. I begin running and regain it. Just take it slow like everyone says. When you reach the oint where you can rest while jogging, you have it made. What I mean by this is that you can run at a faster pace and when you begin to tire, you can cut back to a jog and catch your breat, relax your muscles, and get a second wind while jogging, then you are unstopable. You can get there. It just takes time and dedication and listen to your body to avoid injuries.

As far as eating right, MFP is the best thing I have found becuase if you follow it it forces you to make good choices about what you eat. You can get a lot more food throughout the day and not be hungry and still stay under your calorie goal if you chose to eat healthier low calorie foods. I'm at 1400 cal per day, plus I get and extra couple hundred from running most days, and I am never really hungry becuase I have learned how to choose food that fill me up without a lot of calories. You can do it too. Oh, and drink 4 bottles of water each day minimum.

As for shoes, for a heavier person like me, (6' 220lbs) I recommend Aisics Gel-Nimbus 14. They are pretty light and have good cushioning and support. I struggled with platar faciitis for 9 months and these shoes were one key to getting it helaed up while still running.

Good luck. Add me and I wll try to help you stay motivated!!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I agree that 'success' means different things to different people. I feel running has been a great success for me:

- it has made me stronger, physically and mentally
    - it has given me time to clear my head (lots of time to think)
    - it quite simply makes me feel great
    - it has improved my cardiovascular system so much it shocks me sometimes to think back to when I started
    - it has set up a great routine for me in terms of a healthier lifestyle
    - for me, it is the sport or activity that I love, so I look forward to it on most days (I'd be lying if I said there were days when I had second thoughts about throwing myself out the door, but as time goes on these days are an exception rather than the norm). It's immensely hard to participate in and form healthy habits doing things you don't like, I've discovered that much.

I started running in November and started my weight loss in October. I've lost 92lbs altogether (my ticker shows my loss after joining MFP). I can't really tell how much running contributed to my weight loss (I was also doing a fair bit of strength training up until about a month ago), but even if it had minimal effect the health benefits have been amazing.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I started a few years ago at 130lbs & when I started I couldn't run 1/4 mile. I have asthma which complicated matters. I was up to 2 miles in a month & running 4 miles shortly after. Since then I ran a 1/2 marathon this May & another this past weekend. I went from hating it to loving it. Not so much for weight loss but for having the strength to keep going when I feel I can't go any more. The freedom of getting where I want to go without a car or bike. It relieves stress & just makes me feel healthy. As many others said, take it SLOW, if you do to much too soon & get injured, you defeat the purpose. I am not into the "barefoot" movement, I suffered from heel pain & have worn Mizuno Wave Prophecy's since day one. I love the cushioning & feel. I suggest going to a running store, REI or somewhere where they will watch you run & see what kind of gait you have, then reccommend the best shoe for your specific needs.
    Best of luck, you can do it.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I Really want to run when I get my weight down. It's too hard on my knees right now. :grumble: But, I fantacize about sprinting off on a cool morning and feeling free! LOL

edited because I don't know how to spell fantasize. LOL
    fanticize? fantisize?
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Run, hfzimmerman, Run! Like others, I could only make it 1 minute when I started C25K. I still can't run a 5K, but I can alternate jogging/walking and finish in 35 minutes, which I think is a pretty darn grand improvement! When I am running more regularly I do lose weight faster and I can also see an improvement in my resting heart rate and my recovery time (read "time from gasping for air to breathing normally again") with running intermittently. I've done 2 5K's now and I'm plotting the next several out for Aug and Sept.

Despite all these good things, I think the sense of accomplishment I feel when I cross that finish line is the best thing to come out of all this. I went from being that woman who couldn't do anything but gain weight and got out of breath on a flight of stairs to the woman who can conquer a 5K!!!

PS - Get some decent running shoes as they made a huge difference for me (first time in my life I didn't get shin splints when running), and if you have much of a chest search the message boards for the many good threads with suggestions for great running bras. I could not run without my Enell lock-n-load bra!
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    Ive had great success with running and useing mfp to track calories. Ive lost 40lbs with running being my only form of exercise, u can check out my before and after pics in my profile. The newest one is in the orange tanktop,ive lost 5 more lbs since then.

I started with c25 in April and finished that and still run intervals and long runs too 3x a week. Good luck!
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Although I recommend going to a running store to get fitted, if there isn't any locally runnerswarehouse.com is a good place to look. They have a large selection, decent return policy, and free shipping. You can use the promo code runblog10 to get 10% off. But really, if you have a running store, go there first. Nothing worse than being injured because your shoe wasn't the right one for you.
  • hfzimmerman
    Options
    I found running and MFP to be a great combination to reshape my body.

I started MFP on January 5th this year... and weighed 320 pounds.

Three weeks later, I weighed 307 and also started C25K.

In the 6+ months since then, I've dropped another 63 pounds (total of 76 pounds this year) and I have run:

3 5K races
    1 10K race
    1 10 mile race

A total of over 420 miles this year and I am training for my first Half Marathon next month.

C25K is awesome... trust the program and know that YOU CAN DO IT.

Ted
    [/quote

Wow that is awesome!! Thanks for the inspiration
  • jmsladky
    jmsladky Posts: 46
    Options
    I got to week three of c25k and got awful shin splints and now i am scared. I have heard that my shoes arent correct so be sure you have correct shoes. Maybe someone can give us both advice. Cause they sure do hurt :(
  • hfzimmerman
    Options
    Everyone has provided me with great comments and encouragement. I have already downloaded c25k now I just need to get great running shoes. I'm very excited to start!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was never EVER a runner...was always athletic, but, running was never for me. I just sucked at it. I found that I hated the monotony of running at the track and definitely didn't care for the treadmill. When I would try road running, it seemed to kill my knees. Although, I am sure, form may have been quite an issue there. Hiking was always a passion of mine. One day on the trails, I decided to "jalk"...lol "jalking eventually turned to jogging and I think I have finally breached the "running" marker. Anyway, I have become addicted to trail running. I literally turn into Forrest Gump. I could just go and go. I never feels like exercise and seems so much gentler on my joints. In short, don't give up on it...you may find that you prefer one way vs another. Regardless of where or how...it is such a benefit mentally and physically imo.
  • TMF1123
    TMF1123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to run but because i was a smoker (for more than 20 years) it was impossible. i quit smoking in april 2011 and started eating. long story short a year later i've put down the food picked up my running shoes an in august i logged over 114 miles mostly jogging with nike gps+. my goal for august is to increase my time to be consistently below a 12 minute mile for the entire month. i'm running on the street, so it's hard on my knees, so i may take the advice of some in this thread and try a trail. go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes - you're worth the investment. have fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!