Heart rate question

Options
I am 42 in pretty good shape (can run 6 miles easily in less than an hour on treadmill..a bit slower outside, depending on hills). I recently got a HR monitor and try to keep my heart rate around 185 on my runs. For me, this has me running between 6.7 and 7.2 mph. I feel relatively comfortable at this pace...controlled breathing, could talk if needed to. 185 is over the maximum on the charts for my age...but if I can maintain that comfortably for nearly an hour, is there really a problem? Yesterday I added a sprint to the end of my run (after watching the Olympic women's 10000); unfortunately, the last part of my run is uphill...so my heart rate got to 202; I quit at that point out of fear, but I wonder if there is really a problem with that. Anyone know if it's really a bad thing to keep my heart rate so high, or is it just a sign that my heart is in good condition?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Max heart rate is largely genetic so as long as you are healthy and don't have heart disease there is no problem. Your max heart rate is likely just higher than average.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The charts are often inaccurate, especially for people who are in really good shape. There are a number of heart rate calculators available on line that factor in your fitness rate and give you a completely different range than the charts they have up at the gym. This past winter I took a 3 month, 2 hour Spin class and a few times during the three months, they did a special workout designed to give you your personal ranges. Essentially, you wore a HRM and measured what your heart rate was at certain times. I was quite surprised at how different my range was from the generic charts. Good luck to you.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. The 220 - age formula says I should have a max of 179. This morning I reached 185 cycling to work and sustained it for a while, so I know that formula not accurate for me. I'm now going to adjust all of my zone calculations using this new number.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    What are your fitness goals and how long have you been training? What is your resting pulse? I am 42 and i run mine up for an extended period of time but not 180+ for an hour. I try to stay 145-165 when I run distance. Which isn't often. I know I go higher than that in my workouts but they are shorter with high intensity, I want to say I read not long ago how some of these long time marathoners have suffered heart damage from all the years of elevated heart rates. I will try to find the study for you. Found this in the mean time.

Research by Whyte et al. (2008)[7] came up with with the following formulae for predicting maximum heart rates in both endurance and anaerobically trained athletes:

Male athletes - MHR = 202 - (0.55 x age)
    Female athletes - MHR = 216 - (1.09 x age)
    Miller, Londeree and Moeschberger

To determine your maximum heart rate you could use the following, which combines the Miller formula with the research from Londeree and Moeschberger.

Use the Miller formula of MHR = 217 - (0.85 × age) to calculate MHR
    Subtract 3 beats for elite athletes under 30
    Add 2 beats for 50 year old elite athletes
    Add 4 beats for 55+ year old elite athletes
    Use this MHR value for running training
    Subtract 3 beats for rowing training
    Subtract 5 beats for bicycle training
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What is your resting heart rate (RHR)? For men, a healthy RHR is about 70bpm, above average is in the 60's, and ideal is in the 50bpm range. Anything above 82bpm is considered unhealthy. The best time to check your RHR is first thing in the morning after a good night's sleep. Once you know what your RHR is, check to see how long it takes you to get from your peak heart rate during your workout back down to the normal range. This is called your rate of recovery. Your rate of recovery is an indicator of heart health. If your heart is healthy, you should have a relatively short rate of recovery. I generally don't let my HR get over 170bpm, because I start to feel woozy when it gets up that high. However, I am not as fit as you are. I don't really feel comfortable telling you whether or not 200bpm is too high for you, since your age, weight, and fitness level all play a factor in determining what your peak HR should be. I will leave that answer to a health and fitness/medical professional.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When you hit that hill, try taking slow, deep breaths... sigh-like. Deep breaths tend to slow your heart rate. Whatever you do, don't freak if it seems like it stops and starts again. It's a natural reaction when you breathe deeply with the location of the vagus nerve, etc. Don't get to conscious of your heartbeat as it will start to only freak you out in the end discouraging exercise. I've seen it too many times and have even been victim to it myself. Only reason to be concerned is pain / erratic beats. Also, remember that your heart is not like a watch. It doesn't beat precisely in time. As you move / warm up / cool down the rhythm will chop and change. Those are not considered erratic beats.

I would not be too concerned about 200 as long as you don't have any underlying condition. Using that as a measure of health is difficult as others hearts pump more/less efficiently. Lance Armstrong has a resting heartbeat in the low 40's. To most, this heart rate may make others feel lightheaded. This low heart rate for Lance is partly due to his exercise regiment AND his genetics. I truly believe that he is as good as he is due to stemming from a great genetic make up. Couple that with exercise and training and he became the best. You, on the other hand, may have a heart that naturally pumps higher.

Nevertheless, ALWAYS consult your doctor.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When you hit that hill, try taking slow, deep breaths... sigh-like. Deep breaths tend to slow your heart rate. Whatever you do, don't freak if it seems like it stops and starts again. It's a natural reaction when you breathe deeply with the location of the vagus nerve, etc. Don't get to conscious of your heartbeat as it will start to only freak you out in the end discouraging exercise. I've seen it too many times and have even been victim to it myself. Only reason to be concerned is pain / erratic beats. Also, remember that your heart is not like a watch. It doesn't beat precisely in time. As you move / warm up / cool down the rhythm will chop and change. Those are not considered erratic beats.

I would not be too concerned about 200 as long as you don't have any underlying condition. Using that as a measure of health is difficult as others hearts pump more/less efficiently. Lance Armstrong has a resting heartbeat in the low 40's. To most, this heart rate may make others feel lightheaded. This low heart rate for Lance is partly due to his exercise regiment AND his genetics. I truly believe that he is as good as he is due to stemming from a great genetic make up. Couple that with exercise and training and he became the best. You, on the other hand, may have a heart that naturally pumps higher.

Huh! Totally did not know that about Lance. Makes alot of sense, then, that he is able to push himself so hard for so long without falling off his bike.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I can go over 200 pretty easily too. I'd say you're in pretty damn good shape if you can maintain 180s for lengths of time. Consider it a good thing, not a worrying thing.
  • m1shootr
    m1shootr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep it high.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say is that when I was 24, my max calculated heart rate was 196. I hit 202 sprinting up a hill, and still had more room to keep pushing. I should have probably hit 206 or 210.

Your max heart rate is based more around genetics and your physical condition. If I were you, I would be training using the Lactate Threshold. Look it up on Google. It's a more accurate (and safer) way to train than using a max heart rate. You can also calculate your max HR more accurately using the lactate threshold, for your HRM purposes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am 42 in pretty good shape (can run 6 miles easily in less than an hour on treadmill..a bit slower outside, depending on hills). I recently got a HR monitor and try to keep my heart rate around 185 on my runs. For me, this has me running between 6.7 and 7.2 mph. I feel relatively comfortable at this pace...controlled breathing, could talk if needed to. 185 is over the maximum on the charts for my age...but if I can maintain that comfortably for nearly an hour, is there really a problem? Yesterday I added a sprint to the end of my run (after watching the Olympic women's 10000); unfortunately, the last part of my run is uphill...so my heart rate got to 202; I quit at that point out of fear, but I wonder if there is really a problem with that. Anyone know if it's really a bad thing to keep my heart rate so high, or is it just a sign that my heart is in good condition?

Congrats on higher than estimated HRmax. Genetics. You have a Honda heart, compared to diesel heart. That's all.

Since you hit 202 at end of run and not a fast ramp up like a test would normally do, your HRmax is probably 207 easily.

Make sure you change that stat on your HRM, so the zones it calculates are better setup, and if calorie burn matters to you, so it's more correct. Should be on stat page with age, weight, height, HRmax.

What direction do you want to take your training?
    Merely calorie burn?
    Performance?
    Endurance?
    Combo?

There are some smart things you can do with your training if not doing them.

Now, from your training you may have raised your lactate threshold, because that 185 is well into anaerobic range based solely on HRmax, which shows up why at higher levels of training, it's not a great HR zone method.

But going hard day after day only trains one of your system, which is great benefit, but you may be missing training other systems.

LT training would be better for you. Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic, the HRM tab at the bottom, and section at bottom on LT zones, and test to get yours.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • Sasha1969
    Options
    Same "problem" I have. I'm 43 and my resting heart rate when fit is 48-50. However if I am really working out I can go what is deemed "sky high", my heart rate at 175-180 during Insanity was normal and often I wasn't tired. This also happened when I was running last year, It would stay high during my run at 174 and I could quite happily do sprints at the end. :noway: Has hit over 190 with no problems.
    I have to say that if I keep in the "zone" considered as normal for my age group I honestly feel as if I haven't done a thing during my cardio workout. My boyfriend also has a high heart rate when running he goes over 180 and has no problems whatsoever. (he's 44). I suppose genetics does come into it and various other factors probably fit in.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    People are different. When I was 20 my roomate who was 25 gave me his hrm for a try. He was very fit and said he struggled to get past 160, and stays on 140 most of the time. I put it on, went for my daily two hour bike ride and stayed on 185-190 the all time. Your maximum for all intents and purposes is 202.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

Huh! Totally did not know that about Lance. Makes alot of sense, then, that he is able to push himself so hard for so long without falling off his bike.

I didn't that lance is so lame too.

He probably have 24-32 like most elite athletes.
    And he doesn't get light headed !!! He's heart pumps the same volume at a slower rate !
  • rblakeman
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My resting heart rate is in the 50s to low 60s...need to check it again (I think last time it was about 56). I have been running for quite a few years. I could not mentally run with heart rate in the 140s or even 150s...it would feel like a complete waste of time to me (plus, I would be running so slowly it would feel like I was getting nowhere). I just wonder if there really is a danger to reaching your 'maximum' heart rate...and if any of us even ever get to our maximum.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My resting heart rate is in the 50s to low 60s...need to check it again (I think last time it was about 56). I have been running for quite a few years. I could not mentally run with heart rate in the 140s or even 150s...it would feel like a complete waste of time to me (plus, I would be running so slowly it would feel like I was getting nowhere). I just wonder if there really is a danger to reaching your 'maximum' heart rate...and if any of us even ever get to our maximum.

I'm with you (sorta)... my RHR is 47 and my max measured is 193. I'm 37 years old. I average about 165-170 on a relatively normal run and I expect to keep my HR in the 170s for my half marathon this Saturday. I've been running on and off for about 15 years... some years more than others.

As I understand it, your max HR is where your body can no longer increase the amount of oxygen pumped around your body. So if you put higher demands on your body than it can deliver, you will pass out.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I must have n unusually fast heart.
    My resting heart rate is around 70
    But the highest i've had was 232.
    (thats when i was running a charity event for work)

I always thought the max heart rate was just a guide to say how hard you were working, but varied so much individually...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Danger, well it increases the odds there could be something bad happen, if you have something wrong with the heart.
    But stress tests take you up there.

But normally you aren't up there often.

You have an anaerobic zone in there that pretty much safeguards it, because not too long in it and the burning lactic acid is going to make you slow down no matter what you mentally could do.

But despite lower HR's seeming too slow and little work - for endurance purposes that is exactly what you want - because then you are burning more fat as energy, compared to the limited carbs at higher HR's.

As such you can go longer easier. Because when carbs are gone in the muscle under use, other muscle breakdown is going to start occurring to convert to glucose. The "wall" of recreational marathoners going out too fast and hard.

So you can actually train at low HR, and get faster with it down there. May not seem as hard. But does a hard 7 min/mile beat an easy 7 min/mile that could be done longer?

Also, being less stress on the body at lower HR, is usually good thing for reducing injuries.

Many experiences like this of people redoing their training methods. Even for those that do 10K's for winning.

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2