Caffeine Suggestions

Options
I've recently kicked my once daily diet mountain dew habit (though I hear conflicting things whether it is bad or not). I would like to have something in the morning for a kick-start to my day. Any suggestions, what do you all do for caffeine?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    coffee?!
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    coffee?!

But what do you sweeten it with? My diet mountain dew is zero calories but has the artificial sweetener in it, is the general consensus here that diet soda is bad?
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't had caffeine in over a month. If you plow through the withdrawls you'll find that after a few days you'll start feeling good in the morning without it. :)
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    Plain espresso. Get a machine that has pods, it makes delicious espresso.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    CoffeeCoffeeCoffee!!! They make non-fat creamers that are pretty yummy. I couldn't live without my coffee!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I grind my own coffee beans every morning and drink it black...yum

if you can't stand black...a splash of almond milk does the trick!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Coffee with hazelnut creamer.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    coffee?!

But what do you sweeten it with? My diet mountain dew is zero calories but has the artificial sweetener in it, is the general consensus here that diet soda is bad?
    I use stevia.
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also recently kicked my caffeine habit...only because my trainer suggested I do only powdered sugar free coffee mate instead of my usual dairy creamer. Its pretty disgusting, so I started drinking less and less coffee until I actually forgot to even make it anymore and realized I didnt need it anymore. This is coming from someone who has been a complete coffee addict for 17 years. :-)
  • maranatha777
    Options
    I drink either coffee with a bit of sugar free Coffeemate french vanilla creamer or I drink Tazo Zen green tea with a bit of honey.
  • jniece55
    Options
    I drink either coffee with a bit of sugar free Coffeemate french vanilla creamer or I drink Tazo Zen green tea with a bit of honey.

I love that green tea, I just made a cup of it iced since I had some at work. I wish Green Teas and other items listed how much caffeine were in them!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I got over a caffeine addiction in 24 hours. It's the soda that will take awhile to get over. (My housemate is quitting soda, currently it's been about a week, he said he was afraid to fall asleep one night because he was afraid he would wake up dead-- his headache was THAT BAD.) Maybe you could keep your caffeine and sugar (real sugar) for awhile while you're getting over soda, then drop the sugar, then even the caffeine eventually. Good luck.

For caffeine: coffee, black or with milk. If black coffee makes you go "ick", milk has enough natural sugar in it to counter that. A French press or Aeropress will take up less space than a full-on coffeemaker if you only want 1 cup at a time.

Green tea has a bit of caffeine and can be easier on your stomach than coffee.

Mate, or black tea, too.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    coffee?!

I am half Brazilian and practically drank coffee in my baby bottle! If you aren't aware, Brazilians tend to drink their coffee with tons of sugar and cream. However, over time, I quit using sugar, then milk for cream, then creamer for cream, and now just black.

However, have you looked at the calories in a tablespoon or two of sugar? If that wrecks your day, then you might be cutting it too close. As far as sweeteners go - it is a preference. I don't think the experts even know for sure how REASONABLE use of sweeteners affects people long term.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Espresso Coffee -- a Bialetti Moka Express (stove top) will set you back less than $30 and is easily cheaper than pods in a very short time. Hint -- the 1 cup is very small, go for a 3 or a 6 (for two of us I use a 9 cup) A spoonful of sugar is only about 15 calories so don't sweat it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, there's no reason not to do the Dew.
  • carriejones80
    Options
    I agree with jd5351? I kicked my drinking nothing but regular dr. pepper habit. I would say that if it is an issue, try weining yourself. Cut down to 1 a week. I dropped down from 1 a diet drink a week to 1 once a month. I really don't crave or need caffeine any more. I stick with unsweetened, decaf tea every once in a while. You can do it. I look at it just like I look at sweets or bad foods..it's like a drug. If u can get ur self off of it, ur body won't crave it.
  • Judyph6
    Judyph6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you can stick with it and kick the caffeine then try kauskas....coffee substitute...its made from barley and beet root. I was sceptical but it tastes better than what I remember coffee tasting like..a good start to the day.
  • jniece55
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the recommendations! :)
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Black coffee for me! I have to drink coffee because other than the usual benefits it also helps my asthma. I drink it black, because that is just the way I started drinking it from the beginning, 4 yrs ago.
  • LeggiGetsFit
    LeggiGetsFit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vanilla spice perfect energy tea by Yogi!! Sweet and natural!