Bye Bye muffin top!

Options
Hello fellow MFP's! I am trying to focus on different parts of my body to tone but my biggest trouble zone is my stomach, especially the lower tummy. I would really like to shrink my muffin top area and was wondering if anyone had some good lower (and all over) tummy exercises that weren't the standard crunches? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My lower tummy is my biggest problem area.

You can spot shrink, without cardio though. But you can build muscle in that area to make it stronger. Bicycle crunches, "supermans", and side planks really help me with that area.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    My lower tummy is my biggest problem area.

You can spot shrink, without cardio though. But you can build muscle in that area to make it stronger. Bicycle crunches, "supermans", and side planks really help me with that area.

^^ This, me too! I used to be able to see my abs and I can't wait to see them again! I'm doing the same exercises listed above to help uncover those tummy muscles again.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As far as I know - this is purely a fat loss thing.

In some cases doing tummy-exercises will actually make it look bigger!
    If you weren't to lose any weight doing them, you'd still have the same fat, but you'd now have bigger muscles underneath the fat, pushing it even further out.

Of course doing the exercise does mean that when the fat does go, you'll have a nice abdomen ready to show off :).
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Supermans are the devil! HAHA! I had to do them in a dance training camp way back when and was so sore.

@Geebusuk I was thinking about that as well, can't burn the fat without the cardio!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options

If you weren't to lose any weight doing them, you'd still have the same fat, but you'd now have bigger muscles underneath the fat, pushing it even further out.

Of course doing the exercise does mean that when the fat does go, you'll have a nice abdomen ready to show off :).

This is my problems at the momoment, I can feel the tightening of the abs under the layer of gut, if it would go away. I am seeing the rounding slim down and definition begin!
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    bump
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Before it gets mentioned in this thread ad nauseum:

You cannot spot reduce. The only thing that will make your abs show up is overall fat loss. How and where you lose it from first is up to genetics and genetics only.

That being said - abs are mostly made in the kitchen, rather than the gym.

In other words, if you want to see abs, you will see more benefit from adjusting what you eat than from exercise.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing Jillian Michaels' programs. I did the 30 Day Shred, followed by Ripped in 30. I did them 5 days a week. I'm now doing another of her DVDs (Kickbox FastFix), but my belly got a total transformation doing those first two. Check out these pics:

7461823074_57be0e7e5c_z.jpg

7734768890_749e8c8112.jpg

7690868226_f0f4b6bfe8_z.jpg

I got toned more places than my belly, but it was my major problem area, due to two things. One, genetics, and two, hypothyroidism.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Before it gets mentioned in this thread ad nauseum:

You cannot spot reduce. The only thing that will make your abs show up is overall fat loss. How and where you lose it from first is up to genetics and genetics only.

That being said - abs are mostly made in the kitchen, rather than the gym.

In other words, if you want to see abs, you will see more benefit from adjusting what you eat than from exercise.

This!!
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Those pictures are very inspiring! Thank you all for the information I know it's a trouble zone for many of us.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Those pictures are very inspiring! Thank you all for the information I know it's a trouble zone for many of us.

Had to edit to add one more. I think the bikini one shows the belly loss really well, mostly the lower part, where my bottoms are. lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

You can lose the fat and still have that skin-and-bones look. (no toning exercises)

OR, you can lose the fat and have a ripped look. (consistent ab toning exercises)
  • supergirlie00
    Options

Had to edit to add one more. I think the bikini one shows the belly loss really well, mostly the lower part, where my bottoms are. lol

It sure does! I looks like it did some shrinking on your thighs as well ( another problem zone for myself.) Thank you for sharing these I look forward to showing my own results.
  • mariposa224
    Options

It sure does! I looks like it did some shrinking on your thighs as well ( another problem zone for myself.) Thank you for sharing these I look forward to showing my own results.

Yes, I've lost a couple inches on my thighs, though they weren't even close to being my major issue. lol I know that Jillian's DVDs are considered "beginner," but I guess I'm still a beginner because I still drip sweat doing them. :happy: And I like that I'm getting toned everywhere, but most of all, that my belly has shrunk and I can wear fitted tops now. :wink:
  • w00tfit
    w00tfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs and table push aways :-)

I'm still looking to lose the fat but in preparation I'm working on general weight training (squats/deadlift for general core strength) and an ab wheel as a specific ab exercise and I think I can feel the difference.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that 30 Day Shred is a great program. Jillian keeps your heart pumping through out the workout to burn calories and fat and also has a well rounded ab routine that hits your abs from all directions.

I also think that eating the right foods is crucial as well to get those well defined abs we all want.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will NOT always remove that lil rounded bump under a woman's naval. Who hasn't seen a very skinny woman with a small rounding out right below her naval, "the apron"?

Even when i was slim, athletic, SIZE TWO!!!! and at VERY low weight
    i'd occasionally STILL have to fight against a small roundness right below my naval. What worked for me back then
    was a few pilate-type exercises.
    ~Lying on my back, and lifting up both legs up and down, in various ways (sometimes rotating the lift over to each side, to target back of waist "muffin top" area).
    ~Lying on my back, lifting legs straight up, lowering them back down to within inches of the floor, and doing 'scissors'--open and close my legs as they are held a few inches above floor. Practice holding legs at different distances to the floor, til you find the spot that tighens up your lower abdomen---for you, is it 3 inches off the floor? 6 inches off the floor? 24 inches off the floor? One inch off the floor?
    When you get very good at this, you can lift up your arms off of floor, too, and scissor the arms open and shut, too. I did it both ways, with arms on floor outstretched to my sides, and with arms also lifted up off the floor.

~i also used to do the ^above exercise on top of stairs, with someone spotting me, with my top half on floor at top of stairs, and my legs hanging down over stairs, to further be able to lower my legs and do scissor leg moves, to target that low abdomen.

A few other tummy- toning exercises to try include:

~standing on floor, bending forward at my waist so my top half is parallel to the floor, holding bedpost or door knob for balance,
    and then---lift up one leg behind me, straight out behind me, and move that one lifted leg up UP UP, and side to side---- til i can actually FEEL the pull on my lower abdomen. Try moving different angles, drawing circles with your toe, lowering your upper body up or down, til you can FEEL that lower abdomen being pulled tight. then Switch legs. Repeat repeat repeat.
    This one is also good for "muffin top" areas, depending on how you position yourself and move.

~Kneel on floor, now put hands on floor, about right under your shoulders. Lift up one knee forwards, and try to touch your nose to that knee, THEN extend head up, and stretch that leg out behind you, and UP UP UP. Draw circles with your toe in the air, swing leg back and forth. Switch legs.

~Kneel on floor, put hands on floor with hands about under your shoulders, but, you can try moving hands fwd or backward to see if that helps you more, and then, without bending arms, try to push bellybutton down down as far as you can, arching your back down,
    and then, suck it back up up up up, as high up as you can. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

~and yeah, "supermans" help the lower abdomen, too. As does walking with good posture,
    and
    making habit of sucking one's tummy in every time you go up/down stairs, or drive, or open the fridge door, or walk thru kitchen, or Whatever activity you want to associate automatically 'sucking in your tummy' with.

Hope these exercise ideas help anyone!! =))
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will NOT always remove that lil rounded bump under a woman's naval. Who hasn't seen a very skinny woman with a small rounding out right below her naval, "the apron"?

Even when i was slim, athletic, SIZE TWO!!!! and at VERY low weight
    i'd occasionally STILL have to fight against a small roundness right below my naval. What worked for me back then
    was a few pilate-type exercises.
    ~Lying on my back, and lifting up both legs up and down, in various ways (sometimes rotating the lift over to each side, to target back of waist area).
    ~Lying on my back, lifting legs straight up, lowering them back down to within inches of the floor, and doing 'scissors'--open and close my legs as they are held a few inches above floor. When you get very good at this, you can lift up your arms off of floor, too, and scissor them open and shut, too.

~i also used to do the ^above exercise on top of stairs, with someone spotting me, with my top half on floor at top of stairs, and my legs hanging down over stairs, to further be able to lower my legs and do scissor leg moves, to target the low abdomen.

A few other tummy- toning exercises to try include:

~standing on floor, bending forward at my waist so my top half is parallel to the floor, holding bedpost or door knob for balance,
    and then---lift up one leg behind me, straight out behind me, and move that one lifted leg up UP UP, and side to side---- til i can actually FEEL the pull on my lower abdomen. Switch legs.

~Kneel on floor, now put hands on floor, about right under your shoulders. Lift up one knee forwards, and try to touch your nose to that knee, THEN extend head up, and stretch that leg out behind you, and UP UP UP. Switch legs.

~Kneel on floor, put hands on floor with hands about under your shoulders, but, you can try moving hands fwd or backward to see if that helps you more, and then, push bellybutton down down as far as you can, arching your back down,
    and then, suck it back up up up up, as high up as you can. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

~and yeah, "supermans" help the lower abdomen, too. As does walking with good posture,
    and making habit of sucking one's tummy in every time you go up/down stairs, or drive, or whatever activity you want to make sucking in your tummy with.

Hope these exercise ideas help anyone!! =))

You said a mouthful! Thanks for the post. :bigsmile:
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    thanks! Yeah, there ARE areas on some of us that weight loss just does NOT tone up.....!!!

i have a pal who has a giant rubber ball, i mean it's huge, probably 3 or 4 feet tall, it is an exercise ball,
    and she has someone spot her, or manages to hold on to something like a table,
    while she lies on her back across the ball, and then lifts her legs up and down, doing scissors, etc. I've never tried this, but, she swears it is great for lower abdomen apron area.

Oh, just remembered, another toning move for lower abdomen, is, stand up straight, feet apart, arms curled up, and lean back, moving side to side, trying to find the spot that tightens your lower abdomen. Later, you can add weights to your arms. I have a pal who loves that exercise, she has quite a 6 pack there and says she never lies on floor for her tummy work out.
    I have tried this one, i can feel it help, but, i also did the floor exercises i list above, too.

MAYBE a variety of moves is best to tone that "so hard to target" lower abdomen area...
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump