HIGH protein LOW calorie foods

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good recipes of foods that are high in protein and low in calorie (other than egg whites LOL)
    Please post :smile: :happy:

it can be anything!

Egg whites are gross!

I have been using hemp protein powder as a supplement in smoothies and in my baked oatmeal. Tuna is also high protein, low calorie, but it gets old after a while.
  • If I am in a hurry Beef Jerky has 80 calories and 14 proteins, Greek yogurt has 120 cals and 12-14 proteins, Tuna is a good one too, Great Value nonfat cottage cheese is 80 calories and 14 proteins...those are just some off the top of my head.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.

One is not expected to proof every single article we read. The information was generally correct, and still quite useable.
    This is just my opinion here, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

One would disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I caught that error with my 5 seconf glance I gave her post. Almost right isn't very useful. We have a guy in this same forum asking about brocolli with zero calories because someone put that in a DB entry here. People take for granted whatever other people post here, so it behooves us that try to inform to be as correct as possible. Sorry if that's not cool with you all but people get confused and start wondering if they need to track grams or milligrams and next thing you know they're eating 10 pounds of steak a day to get their protein intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Livestrong is just a content farm, I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

Protein has 4 calories per gram, so the high protein low calorie foods are going to be low carb low fat foods like lean meat and some types of fish etc.

I have found this to be the case myself. There is a lot of not-so-good info there. :ohwell:
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not hostile, sorry you think that. You are making it sound like I wrote the article and that I need to proofread and correct every article that is faulty. How would I know if the website isn't right. I wasn't even posting to give her nutritional information, I was posting so she could get ideas of high protein and low calorie foods so therefore I do not care what you think.

Oh yes, and #thisisn'ttwitter.

This! haha!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.

One is not expected to proof every single article we read. The information was generally correct, and still quite useable.

One would disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I caught that error with my 5 seconf glance I gave her post. Almost right isn't very useful. We have a guy in this same forum asking about brocolli with zero calories because someone put that in a DB entry here. People take for granted whatever other people post here, so it behooves us that try to inform to be as correct as possible. Sorry if that's not cool with you all but people get confused and start wondering if they need to track grams or milligrams and next thing you know they're eating 10 pounds of steak a day to get their protein intake.

seriously, I think you are making a really big deal out of something that is very minor in the scheme of things.
    As you said, we are all entitled to our opinions....but the way you express them goes a long way in determining how people take what you have to say.
  • MABfit01
    MABfit01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, too!
    I've just started on my program. What, or is there an advantage to adding in a high protein replacement program. I see many of the products in the food databank.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The values for cottage cheese on the database here - and I know it's inaccurate but I checked several brands - seem to indicate that 100g has about 70 calories and 10g protein.

So I dont think the livestrong values are that unbelievable.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    chicken or most fish
  • ModoVincere
    Options
    there's a lot of protein powders available on the market. Most of them probably give you about 20-30 gms of protein per scoop. Some of them taste pretty nasty though, so you have to shop around to find one you like.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I usually eat this after finishing a WOD: 2 canned of Bear & Wolf - Premium Skinless Boneless Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon (zero carbs, 78 g of proteins, 1,320 g of sodium). You could get it from costco. I believe it is 5 for $10ish.

I don't like to take whey protein or some crazy chemicals into my body. I eat paleo/primal and I do the crossfit. Keep it simple and sweet.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Protein Cupcakes/Muffins

Recipe makes 6 cupcakes/muffins.

Ingredients:

¼ cup Egg Beaters all-natural egg whites
    1 scoop Bluebonnet Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate
    2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbsp whole ground flaxseed meal
    ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 tbsp Hershey's natural unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 pkts Stevia
    ½ very ripe banana, mashed
    ¼ tsp baking powder

Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
    2. Blend everything well in a mixer.
    3. Scoop batter into cupcake/muffin pan lined with cupcake/muffin cups.
    4. Bake for 20 mins.
    5. Let cool for 10 mins.
    6. Eat your heart out and flex.

Nutritional Info (for the entire lot, NOT just 1 cupcake):
    Calories: 333
    Carbs: 30 g
    Protein: 42 g
    Fiber: 7 g
    Fat: 8 g
    Sodium: 419 mg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Protein: 42 g [/q]

so only half the calories are from protein ? Doesn't sound great TBH.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options

duty_calls.png

Also, 5 second* glance.

ANYWAY.

When I'm on the prowl for protein but not too many calories, I generally go for tuna (the flavored pouches are extra nice and convenient), shrimp, chicken breast, eggs/egg whites, or string cheese.
  • ModoVincere
    Options
    Protein: 42 g [/q]

so only half the calories are from protein ? Doesn't sound great TBH.

I'll take 50% of calories from protein any day of the week.
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    I agree with the tuna, however, be careful with how much you eat because of the Mercury. I am not a health care professional so i do not know how much is considered "too much".
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Great guys but how about you keep your discution for private messages? This thread was about high protein low calorie foods not for bickering. Thank you very much!

Having said that, how about lentils?
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tuna, however, be careful with how much you eat because of the Mercury. I am not a health care professional so i do not know how much is considered "too much".

This can help

http://www.howmuchfish.org/
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I love my fat free greek yogurt. I prefer the Fage plain but there are flavors and other brands availanble. A 100 calorie serving has 18 grams of protein.

I also love my Nature Boy Eggless Vegetarian Spicy Tofu Sandwhich - 275 calories and 40 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat and a very tasty satisfying lunch!

Light string cheese has about 60 calories, 3 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options

This can help

http://www.howmuchfish.org/

thank you c: