Options
    Jessica Ennus is overweight

Are you trying to be funny?

No - I think he's just being an Annus

Haha, that was amazing
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Lolo JOnes is the HOTTEST athlete going.

^^^this^^^
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just googled Jessica Ennis and holy crap, she has an awesome body. The media sucks *kitten*.

Okay, reading fail. It was just a UK official who said she has too much fat. That person sucks *kitten* then. :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, I think, that we rarely see the same criticism directed to, say, the male shotputters, that is meted out to women like Holly Mangold. There's far less body scrutiny, in general. Why do you think that might be.... ?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just googled Jessica Ennis and holy crap, she has an awesome body. The media sucks *kitten*.

Okay, reading fail. It was just a UK official who said she has too much fat. That person sucks *kitten* then. :)

Are you referring to this? http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/24/jessica-ennis-fat-olympics
    This was just sour grapes, and a bit of a storm in a teacup, I think...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Jessica Ennus is overweight

wtF is WRONG with you???????????
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that Mangold is pretty weak for her weight. Women in the lower weight divisions were out-lifting her.

Umm, she's an Olympic athlete meaning that she is one of the strongest female competitive weight lifters in the world, even if other Olympic athletes are out-lifting her, she's still pretty effing strong or she would not have qualified for the Olympics.
  • dereksmb
    dereksmb Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Actually mellisant, shes not strong at all She can't even snatch her own body weight, which frankly is embarrassing for any Olympic athlete. Hell I can snatch my own body weight, should I be allowed to compete in the Olympics now? She is not fit, shes an obese woman who lifts in a largely unpopular weight class for women. I also wouldn't doubt shes cycled a few roids in her days with the rampant drug use that goes on for any Olympic athlete.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Are you referring to this? http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/24/jessica-ennis-fat-olympics

I hadn't read that before, just the article quoted in the OP. Maybe that is their source though?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

I hadn't read that before, just the article quoted in the OP. Maybe that is their source though?

TBH While I am a Guardian reader (have the iPhone app) I tend to mostly catch the headlines, it's not often I get a chance to read the news in depth. It was as I was checking my email that the article I posted the link to was on the reel on the Yahoo site that caught my interest. Having read the Guardian article in full, I think the criticism of Jessica Ennis and the other female competitors in the Olympics is simply wrong. They're there, representing their countries and competing with the best in their respective fields; we should be proud of them all, no matter the weight, shape or size!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Actually mellisant, shes not strong at all She can't even snatch her own body weight, which frankly is embarrassing for any Olympic athlete. Hell I can snatch my own body weight, should I be allowed to compete in the Olympics now? She is not fit, shes an obese woman who lifts in a largely unpopular weight class for women. I also wouldn't doubt shes cycled a few roids in her days with the rampant drug use that goes on for any Olympic athlete.

This was my point. Though an 145kg clean and jerk is impressive, its not THAT impressive considering her weight, when smaller athletes like Zoe smith can lift doube their own weight. I would be expecting to see at least 159kg (if her 350lb weight is correct), if not at least one and half times that. When someone who is 58kg can clean and jerk 116, its not that impressive for someone of 159 to do 145.