Walk = 350calories?

Hi, everyone! I'm new on MFP and yesterday, I went walking for about 45 minutes. When I add it in my exercise of the day (i wrote 3mph) MFP told that I've lost around 350 calories!! Is that normal? Does MFP calculate the calories according to our weight? Because my first weight in was 315pounds... I just wanted to be sure i really burned 350 calories because that sounds a lot to me just for walking... Thanks :)

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    I would not believe those numbers. I burn 450 calories running 8 minute miles for the miles.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    I go by whatever my HRM says. I think MFP over estimates a bit.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Maybe I was mistaken. I entered walking at 3.0 and for my weight it was 187 calories. I went into my settings and changed my weight to 300 and the calories burned for the same exercise was over 350. So I guess it is possible that those measurements are correct. Sorry to muddy the waters with my earlier post
  • My goto site for double checking MFP counts is caloriesperhour.com and it agrees with these numbers that you are asking about. Remember, people with more weight burn more calories doing the same exercise that lighter people do. That's why there are weight vests.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    I just entered 45mins walking @ 3mph and for me it would be a 151 cal burn so I presume it does take weight into account.
    Well done, good burn. :flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    At 315lbs, certainly. I wear a HRM and the last time I walked for 45 mins at about 4mph I burned 499 calories if that tells you anything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    I just wanted to say to try and keep this simple. Use the numbers. Use the tools here. When you ask questions here, you'll get answers all over the map. People want to help, but they are thinking of *their* numbers, and their calorie burns, and yours will be different.

This site works. I've been on here since 2007, lost my 55 lbs using only this site, just plugged in my stuff and used what it told me to use. I've spent a lot of time in the forums. I've seen lots of success. I've also seen people get super confused by all the conflicting advice (me included :laugh: )

Keep it simple. Your body will respond very well to exercise, and at your weight you will see fast results.

I'd also say, all of this calorie counting and exercise calories is an estimate. Nothing more. There is a large amount of error involved. Don't try to be perfect at this.

Eat enough, mostly plants, not too much. Move more today than you did yesterday. Sleep and rest. Drink water. It's really that simple.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    I just wanted to say to try and keep this simple. Use the numbers. Use the tools here. When you ask questions here, you'll get answers all over the map. People want to help, but they are thinking of *their* numbers, and their calorie burns, and yours will be different.

This site works. I've been on here since 2007, lost my 55 lbs using only this site, just plugged in my stuff and used what it told me to use. I've spent a lot of time in the forums. I've seen lots of success. I've also seen people get super confused by all the conflicting advice (me included :laugh: )

Keep it simple. Your body will respond very well to exercise, and at your weight you will see fast results.

I'd also say, all of this calorie counting and exercise calories is an estimate. Nothing more. There is a large amount of error involved. Don't try to be perfect at this.

Eat enough, mostly plants, not too much. Move more today than you did yesterday. Sleep and rest. Drink water. It's really that simple.

Well said. It's encouraging for us newbies (compared to you) to be told things like this. Thanks for that. :flowerforyou:
  • mauvegs
    mauvegs Posts: 6 Member
    Oh! WOW! Thank you so much all of you! Your quick answers are really appreciates :)
    I'm happy to know i really lost 350 calories. It encourages me to continue in this way! I'm so happy to have discovered MFP!! :D
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

THIS ^^^

Great advice! And it's true that you will burn more in the beginning.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

THIS ^^^

Great advice! And it's true that you will burn more in the beginning.
    ^this