Documentaries?

Options
Hello all! Just wondering if anyone knew of good documentaries about weight loss, nutrition or just health related? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A good portion of documentaries aren't actually good resources for information. This is just sort of a heads up.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A good portion of documentaries aren't actually good resources for information. This is just sort of a heads up.

This. Most show you what they want to show you and what fits into their POV (Same as a lot of medical studies actually but with more wiggle room for hiding facts).
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've seen all of the popular ones, they all sucked.

Well, Fat Head was decent for about 20 minutes.
  • MissMarquez23
    MissMarquez23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No i totally agree! i am just super bored and am sort of documentary obsessed, and figuerd why not see some about health...
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i dont off hand but if you want a docu about never giving up

Touching The Void

powerful
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    It's so outdated, but I watch Supersize Me whenever I feel a giant, fast food eating weekend coming on.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

This. While there are some entertaining documentaries out there, many of them are extremely biased, sometimes with misleading information, and do not show the "whole picture" if you catch my drift. I watch them for the entertainment value, and I don't take them as gospel.

That said, there are a few I find interesting, such as Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and Food, Inc.
  • PaBeany
    PaBeany Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Was told at work that there was a really interesting documentary about how cutting calories is really, really good for you. BBC Panorama episode. This has caused the man that ate a bag of bombay mix (and isn't overweight) to look at what he's eating. It was on August 6th.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is one on Netflix right now, streaming, called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" - I think it is very good. A man documents his life before, during, and after doing a juice fast and then travels around the country talking to other people about it. I know someone that just watched it and tried a juice fast for three days - lost 10 lbs.
  • Girl_du_jour
    Girl_du_jour Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't usually watch things like this, but I tought BBC3's 'How to be Slim' was actually very interesting because of the science basis. I found a link to part 1 on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSm1dWjMGeM - see what you think!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I saw an interesting one last night on alternate day fasting. Not sure of its availability outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Horizon and panorama have recently released several, they're on BBC iPlayer, but I'm guessing you're American. Some have been put onto YouTube though, but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't have been.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    One that I liked was "Spirit of the Marathon". It follows some people training to run the Chicago marathon. Might not be quite what you're looking for, but I enjoyed it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grippycat1
    Options
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/bigger-stronger-faster/ - - awesome documentary about bodybuilding

Pop culture junkies tend to think of Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone, and Arnold Schwarzenegger as entertainment figures. In Poughkeepsie, NY, back in the 1980s, filmmaker Christopher Bell and his brothers viewed them as heroes and became bodybuilders. Like the Hulkster, Mike and Mark Bell even turned to professional wrestling. Chris, a former staffer at Venice’s famous Gold’s Gym, doesn’t use anabolic steroids–he did try them once–but his heroes have and his brothers do, leading him to look deeper at this increasingly common practice.
    While Bell explores the health costs of juicing, he’s mostly concerned with the moral consequences involved in the use of performance-enhancing substances. Though he refrains from judgment, he stopped taking steroids because it felt dishonest. Naturally, his burly brothers feel otherwise. Aside from his family, Bell speaks with doctors, lawyers, congressmen, gym rats, and professional athletes, like Olympic sprinters Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis and Tour de France cyclist Floyd Landis.
    He also includes footage of José Canseco, Barry Bonds, and Mark McGwire testifying during the federal grand jury and congressional hearings on steroid use in the major leagues (prompted by the publication of Canseco’s Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant ‘Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big). For the most part, Bell doesn’t leave any stone unturned and the personal nature of his entertaining and enlightening inquiry elevates Bigger, Stronger, Faster, i.e. The Side Effects of Being American, above your average exposé. Recommended to athletes, sports fans, health nuts, and of course, pop culture junkies
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think HBO has one out right now, something like "Weight of the Nation"
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I have enjoyed watching:

Food, Inc.
    Vegucated
    Food Matters
    Fresh
    Forks over Knives
    Weight of the Nation
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Most of these are available on either Netflix and/or Amazon Instant Video--excepting Weight of the Nation, which is on HBO.

I specifically recommend Forks over Knives and Food, Inc.. Those sparked a fairly intense bout of research and, consequently, a major change in our habits.

The rest were interesting and well worth watching.
  • MissMarquez23
    MissMarquez23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!! :)