Diastasis Recti & Tupler Technique?

Options
Well as the title says I have a diastasis recti of 3 finger widths since having my daughter 3.5 months ago. Anybody else have this? I am going to start doing the tupler technique and wondered if anyone had any experience with this? A friend of mine has done it and said it worked for her, but it may take a while...so I won't be able to do my 30DS until the gap is closed. Booooooooooooo

Replies

• megangrohl
    Options
    bump
  • BeFitMom
    BeFitMom Posts: 17
    Options
    There are two distinct schools of thought when it comes to diastasis recti rehab. Tuppler, who is a nurse by training, not a fitness professional, has women doing literally thousands of isolations for the Transverse Abdominis, or TvA, and wearing of a splint (which she sells) every day for months.
    While most pre and post natal fitness pros and PTs agree that strengthening the TvA is the correct place to start, it is also necessary to train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer (muscle specificity theory). All postpartum women, with or without diastasis, need to rehab all four layers of the abdominal wall, realign the pelvis and spine, and re-develop dynamic stability in the torso. Tuppler does not address any of these critical issues.
    If you google my screen name, you can find more information about this philosophy of diastasis rehab and postpartum reconditioning.
    BeFit-Mom
  • megangrohl
    Options
    OK thanks for the info. I will look into it
  • Diastasisrehab
    Options
    Dear Megangrohl,
    I am glad you are doing my program! The Tupler Technique® is the only research based program out there to treat a diastasis recti. This 4 step program is all about healing the connective tissue. For the first six weeks of the program you need to do JUST my program. Then in week six (whether or not you have closed your diastasis) you will learn how to incorporate the Tupler Technique® into your exercise routine and how to modify it. It is important to do just my program during the first six weeks in order to allow the connective tissue to heal as you strengthen your inner most transverse muscle. How long it takes to close your diastasis depends on the severity of your diastasis and the commitment to all 4 steps of the program. However, you will see the healing process starting within the first three weeks. Please look at the before and after photos of both women and men on my website and remember to take your own photos so you will see the effects on your own belly. Also measure the circumference around your belly so you will see how you will lose inches here as your diastasis closes.
    I do not know where you are located but if you have a licensed provider of the Tupler Technique® in your area please go get a free belly check. Please check my website under licensees to see if you have one.

Julie Tupler, RN
    P.S I have been a fitness trainer for over 25 years. I have taught continuing education to fitness professionals and have spoken at many fitness conferences. The Tupler Technique® was created out of my teaching exercise classes to women during and after pregnancy.
  • DiastasisDiva
    Options
    My name is Lyndsey and I have used the Tupler Technique®. I have three children and used the program after baby #2 and baby #3. I got such great results that I became licensed to teach the Tupler Technique®. As a requirement I had to become a fitness professional before I could license the program. All licensees are health or fitness professionals. Julie Tupler is not only a nurse, but is a fitness professional as well. You can view my amazing before/after photos at my website http://abdominalfix.com/MeetLyndsey.html. This program has changed my life in such a positive way and I highly recommend it to any mom.

Lyndsey

PS My children are 4 1/2, 2, and 5 months old.
  • megangrohl
    Options
    I forgot about this thread. Thank you for the info and link.