New running shoes question...

Options
How long should it take before they feel right to you? Went on my first run with my new shoes, and I felt a bit like I was struggling at first. Could have been a mind thing, I guess.

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Struggling as they hurt your feet?
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Struggling as they hurt your feet?

No, they don't hurt. I guess my ankles and shins feel more taxed as if they are saying "hey, these aren't your shoes!!".
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    Could be the case, what did you end up getting?
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It took me about a week before they felt awesome.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    I usually just wear my new shoes around the house, out on the town for a week or so before switching out to run in.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You should not have any break in period for a pair of running shoes if they are the right shoe for your gait. You should be able to go right out and run your everyday distance without any pain or blisters. If you have either, then they probably aren't right for you.

Did you get fitted for these shoes at a specialty running store?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I usually just wear my new shoes around the house, out on the town for a week or so before switching out to run in.

Running shoes should only be run in. Never walked around in.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Could be the case, what did you end up getting?

I had already bought the Nike AirMax before I posted earlier. Now, I'm thinking of returning, but I want to give them a fair shake before I do.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Running shoes should only be run in. Never walked around in.

I am running in the same shoes that I wear to work every day. They are comfortable, and I wouldn't want to wear anything else. :tongue:
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Why shouldn't you wear your running shoes to work or walk in?
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    I am curious as well as to what negative effects wearing your running shoes would pose.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Why shouldn't you wear your running shoes to work or walk in?

So that you don't create unusual wear patterns, to keep the upper in the correct shape that's created by running, to prevent creating indentations in the last in places that you don't stress when running. Also, if you spend $100 dollars for a pair of shoes to run in, I would think you want to get as many running miles out of them as you can. You can walk in $25 sneakers. :)
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    True! I just bought the same exact pair 2 weeks ago, I had trouble at first, felt a little off but they run great now!
  • lrr33
    lrr33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i have issues with heel spurs and bought the best pair of shoes yet! sketchers sport flex. was fitted at the store and my feet have never felt better. very supportive for my flat foot yet very light and flexible. good luck!!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    mine didn't take any time at all to get used to. i loved them immediately, from my first trial with them at the running store. i wear brooks adrenaline.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You should not have any break in period for a pair of running shoes if they are the right shoe for your gait. You should be able to go right out and run your everyday distance without any pain or blisters. If you have either, then they probably aren't right for you.

I dont completely agree, but let me explain. I had a pair of running shoes I was fitted for at a running store. I wore them for about 250 miles before going back in to the store because a strange wear pattern on the shoes. I was having some ankle and knee pain as well. The original shoes were cushioned/neutral. The store re-assessed my gait (I was a new runner the first time) and decided I should have a stability shoe. I guess as I started running more my form changed and my gait changed a bit, but enough to affect my runs. I first wore the new shoes for a 2 mile run and had relatively no problems. They felt different for sure but I didnt have pain. The next run was just 3 miles but I started feeling shin splinty around 1.5 miles. I had the shin splint feeling and more quad strain the first 4 times I ran in these shoes. Now they are wonderful.

So I guess it wasnt the shoes that needed to be broken in, but my muscles. They had adapted to the poor running form and when the new shoes "fixed" some of the pronation issues I had, I could feel the muscles I hadnt been using regularly and those needed a few days to adjust. So if you got shoes that are drastically different than your previous ones, it might not feel "right" for a few runs.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got new shoes last week, fit at a running store for my gait. The heel was slightly lower than I was used to, so it felt weird for a couple short runs, but felt great on run 3.

Edit: to echo what was said above. The heel on my shoes was shorter because of ankle problems I'd had in the past, so the lower heel is supposed to take some pressure off. I think it felt weird at first too because I had to adapt my gait a bit.
  • Nailrep
    Options

I dont completely agree, but let me explain. I had a pair of running shoes I was fitted for at a running store. I wore them for about 250 miles before going back in to the store because a strange wear pattern on the shoes. I was having some ankle and knee pain as well. The original shoes were cushioned/neutral. The store re-assessed my gait (I was a new runner the first time) and decided I should have a stability shoe. I guess as I started running more my form changed and my gait changed a bit, but enough to affect my runs. I first wore the new shoes for a 2 mile run and had relatively no problems. They felt different for sure but I didnt have pain. The next run was just 3 miles but I started feeling shin splinty around 1.5 miles. I had the shin splint feeling and more quad strain the first 4 times I ran in these shoes. Now they are wonderful.

So I guess it wasnt the shoes that needed to be broken in, but my muscles. They had adapted to the poor running form and when the new shoes "fixed" some of the pronation issues I had, I could feel the muscles I hadnt been using regularly and those needed a few days to adjust. So if you got shoes that are drastically different than your previous ones, it might not feel "right" for a few runs.

This explains moe or less what I'm feeling. Just strange in general. I know I'm a neutral/slightly under pronator. So I ordered these shoes with that in mind. If I don't like them after another couple of runs, I'm gonna get something else.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    True! I just bought the same exact pair 2 weeks ago, I had trouble at first, felt a little off but they run great now!

You bought the Air Max?