Exercise and Calorie Intake

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been working out 2 hours daily (usually burning 400-800 calories depending on the exercise) and eating around 1200 calories. Am I causing my body to go into starvation mode? I really want to drop my weight but I don't want to ruin my metabolism in the process.

Any advice or tips?

Replies

• loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been working out 2 hours daily (usually burning 400-800 calories depending on the exercise) and eating around 1200 calories. Am I causing my body to go into starvation mode? I really want to drop my weight but I don't want to ruin my metabolism in the process.

Any advice or tips?

I need tips too. I'm the same. I consume 1200 - 1500 calories a day and burn alot of it. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I eat pretty healthy and I'm never really hungry.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    You do need to eat more, your body needs 1200 just to function and after a long time you will no long have a high metabolishism and it will mean that when you do reach your goal you will put weight on much quicker and your not giving your body the different things it really needs for healthy skin/hair/nails ect
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Your net calories should always be at least 1200
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1200 or just eat 1200? If you're eating just 1200 plus burning 400-800 a day, you for sure need to eat more. Even if you're netting 1200, eating more probably wouldn't hurt you. I was netting between 1300-1500 while I was losing and lost weight no problem. Now I'm easily maintaining, but I eat quite a bit because I run three times a week, usually for 40-90 minutes at a time, so I burn a lot. If you're more active eating more is important to help maintain your health and keep your body running.
  • Docholiday11x
    Options
    you need to be eating A LOT more. Losing weight is not simply about calories. Micro nutrients play a huge role. at 1200 calories you are barely getting any as it is and if you are working out on top of that you need a whole lot more to function. If you are working out for 2 hours a day get in at least 1800 calories and even that is a large deficit.
  • klarockz
    Options
    I am just eating 1200 not netting it. Oh man I hope I didnt do any major damage this week!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Do a search either on the boards here or the internet for TDEE. I was doing net 1200 and did drop about 20lbs (over about 8-9 months). I started doing Insanity and training for my first half marathon. While I always ate back my exercise cals I found I was gaining weight, losing stamina, feeling tired, light-headed and generally not well. I backed off on the exercise and increased my eating and my weight leveled off and after a few months of learning what worked for me (really increasing my protein and adding lifting) I am finally back to feeling more like myself. I am mixed with the 1200 cals as it did help me lose but it wasn't realistic long term. Looking back (and after some research) I don't believe I should have been eating below my BMR at all.
  • klarockz
    Options
    Its saying I should have around 2000 according to the TDEE.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    This is the post that helped me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Mine is about 1700-1800 for light exercise which seemed so off the charts considering I'd been doing 1200 for so long. My BMR is around 1332 so now I NEVER eat below it. You need to remember your TDEE includes those exercise cals you normally eat back. So, if I do a hard workout or long training session (starting to consider marathon training) I'll need to eat more. I'm probably not doing a very good job of explaining things so hopefully the above post will help. Fat2Fit also explains why you need to eat more. For me I just know when I don't my body lets me know and it isn't pretty.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If it was just for a short period of time- a week or two- you'll probably be fine. It takes a long time of very little food to really go into full fledged starvation mode. You might seen a small gain (likely water weight) or a slow in your weight loss, but I doubt you've done any permanent damage. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    well you're certainly not eating enough, that's for sure. and you won't lose weight if you're not eating enough - unless you do it long enough to do serious damage to your body. eat more. and rest more. rest is VERY important for your body. take at least two rest days a week. it will benefit you!
  • klarockz
    Options
    elzettle, I am confused the my BMR is 1252 but does this go according to a base of net calories or your overall day. For example my calorie intake according to moderal level should be (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2046. Is the 2046 the net or the overall balance?