Just registered... first day tomorrow! HELP!! Lol.

Options
Hi everyone, I have just registered on here so will be starting tomorrow, I really don't have any idea what I'm doing to be honest so any advice or helpful hints would be great. I have 4.5 stone to lose so I'm here for the long haul...
Friends would also be good so we can help each other?? And I'd love to hear about how people are getting on...
Love Kirsty xx
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• SweetPickle007
    Options
    Hi Kirsty..and welcome...I've lost some weight tracking my food and a little exercise..I have alot of weight to lose..one meal at a time..good luck..you can do it.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm just starting day 5 of tracking. So far so good. I totally agree. One meal at a time or one day at a time is my mantra as well. Everyone has been really nice and very encouraging, which is what these types of sites should be about. Of course, I could use a "little" positive kick in the gluteus maximus once in awhile too when I start to stray. I'm excited to use this program and hope to see you often.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the only system I have found that works :)
    Things to remember -
    Log every mouthful, if you have a smart phone the barcode reader speeds the whole thing up.
    Plan your meals in advance, it means you have what you need and you are less likely to grab at the nearest available calorie
    This is a marathon, not a sprint - Shift it slowly and you are more likely to succeed and be able to maintain
    Enjoy and use the support system - We are all here to help and encourage you xx
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Log EVERYTHING even if it's just a bite, take your current measurements because the scale isn't always the best way to measure your progress, and use the community/forums with a grain of salt. Best wishes to you! :-)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Welcome. No time like today. Why wait?
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    One step at a time and one pound at a time :wink:

Just log it all and watch your carbs.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1. Set up MFP using recommended settings. Use 1lb a week.

2. Set custom goals to put a about 25% protein and 2300mg of sodium.

3. Log EVERYTHING you eat.

4. Log all your exercises

5. Eat back about half your exercise calories (They will be added automatically after inputting them in)

6. Dp both strength training and cardio
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome. No time like today. Why wait?

^^^THIS!
    Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I am now 130+ days of logging, it is the first thing I do in the morning. Planning your meals is key to success as well. I too had 4.5ish stones to lose at the beginning, now 29lbs down, so just about at the half way mark. This site is fantastic, and if you log everything it definitely works (and believe me I've tried a few different methods!).

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Not guaranteed to be on the forums each day, but am on quite a lot
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristy we are all in the same boat--just take it a day at a time. U can do it!
  • summer_cici
    summer_cici Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsty, I'm new to the community side of myfitnesspal as well.
    I'm really excited to start fresh again tomorrow after a little relapse of fast food today, hehe.

Good luck :D I'm sure you'll do great! x
  • wannyreed
    wannyreed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Good to see Im not the only newbie to this! Like the idea of support right fro the beginning.
    This is my day 2, and so far so good... i hope!
    If you have an i phone do get the app, think any app type phone can download the app for this site, and its for free. It saved me today when work al decided to have an last min lunch out, so my pre planned meal is still in the fridge for tomorrow but I have not gone over my calories, which i would have done without.

The first two weeks I feel confident about as they lead up to two big social events and need my dress to be just that little bit less tight!! After that support would be good to keep on track and hear how others are doing to keep me motivated!!! I am determined to lose 1 stone New years Eve, and I hope by being good I can lose more!!!

Heres to a good week!!!! Happy tracking good luck and look forward to hear how you getting on

WR x
  • Alford96
    Alford96 Posts: 70
    Options
    and it gets easier, remember that. The first few weeks were really hard on me. Not to mention, I couldn't believe the amount of calories in what I was eating!! Then, after a few weeks I felt well enough to start working out and now I'm to the point where I'm pretty regularly sticking to my calorie goal and I dont' feel like I'm starving. Keep an honest log of everything that you eat, that helps you learn where your weak spots are (for me, the afternoon snack is a must or I totally overeat at dinner), forgive yourself when you go over or when you cave and eat that pizza (or doughnut, candy bar, whatever...). Be mindful of how you feel (for example, I have learned that if I get close to my carb goal I feel bloated and just ugh...) so you can make adjustments as needed. One step at a time!! Just signing up here at MFP is a great first step so congratualtions and keep it up :bigsmile:

add me as a friend if you'd like. Have a great first day!!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • NearAlarm32
    Options
    Good luck! Keep on thing in mind, if you go off track, don't think the whole day is wasted, just get back on track with your next meal!

27511836.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes we were all "first day ones " :)
    If you stick to it and I know you will, you can achieve great things here.
    I have been here since July 24th and I have committed whole heartily and WOW am I seeing results!!
    Yes, I am doing The Biggest Loser Workouts too but this makes it so easy to watch what I eat and totally change for the good..
    You CAN and WILL do this...I have full Faith in us :happy:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My best advice:

1. Use all the tools MFP has to offer, including the forums. If you don't know something, don't be afraid to ask. However, I would caution you to take any advice you get with a grain of salt, as there are varying opinions on most any topic regarding health/fitness/weight loss. Take people's opinions into consideration, but do your own research. Everyone's body is different, so what works for some, may or may not work for you.

2. Take before photos and measurements. These will come in handy during the inevitable "slumps" on the scale. If you don't have alternative "success gauges", it's very easy to get discouraged when the scales aren't moving. Your bathroom scale does not paint the whole picture, so it's nice to be able to go to another source to compare progress. I would also suggest that you avoid weighing in every day. Weigh in only once per week at most. Your weight will fluctuate from day to day, and it gets very frustrating when you weigh two pounds more today than you did yesterday.

3. ALWAYS remember, every step forward is a step in the right direction, and baby steps count, too. Sometimes something as "simple" as getting your workout in is your step forward for the day.

4. Set short term, mid term, AND long term goals for yourself. For example, currently mine are as follows:
    Short term: Run an entire 5K the first Saturday in October, and lose 25-30lbs by then.
    Mid term: Be under 200lbs by CHRISTmas.
    Long term: My goal weight is 135-140lbs or a size 7/8 (U.S.), whichever comes first.

5. Change your mentality about "weight loss". Don't think of it as purely "dieting" and exercising to reach some number on a scale. Think of it as working toward a healthy lifestyle, and weight loss is just a positive side effect of that.

Hope some of this helps. I still have a long way to go myself, but I've learned alot in the year and a half that I've been on here. Not so much academically as much as life lessons regarding the inner struggle to get healthy and lose weight.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1. Set up MFP using recommended settings. Use 1lb a week.

2. Set custom goals to put a about 25% protein and 2300mg of sodium.

3. Log EVERYTHING you eat.

4. Log all your exercises

5. Eat back about half your exercise calories (They will be added automatically after inputting them in)

6. Dp both strength training and cardio

/quote]

This advice from Danadark is about as good as it gets.

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Welcome Kristy! This site is really easy to use and can be a great help. Just log all the food you eat. Sometimes it's hard to find specifically what I am looking for so I try to put in the best closest thing. You don't have to be exact either, I don't measure everything. Friends are helpful for giving and getting encouragement so feel free to add me. This is just the first day so stay focused and positive!
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    There's some very good advice on here already. I've got around 70 pounds to lose in total and I'm half way now, so I have found what works for me. But we are all different and you need to find out your way to success.

Take it slow to start with but log EVERYTHING. That's the only way to learn what you have been doing wrong in the past. And you have to be honest with yourself to be able to succeed.

You can't change everything straight away and keep it up. Best to make small improvements day-by-day and work out what is best for you. You'll soon find your mindset changes and you start making good choices more instinctively.

Remember that we all have 'bad' days when we over-eat. Never punish yourself for that. Just treat the next day as a new start and carry on.

Ultimately if you want to succeed, you will. All it takes is a bit of hard work, and being healthy is well worth it!