Any cyclists (triathletes)? Aerobars?

Options
I just put aerobars on my road bike to help me speed up a little in triathlons. Ok, how do you do it? I am completely comfortable, well-balanced, and feel great on my bike at any speed. But I move to the aerobars and I shake and weave around like crazy! Does it just take time to get used to or am I missing something? I don't even feel safe using them yet, and I'm darn sure not going to use them while clipped in...

So far, every fall I have ever taken off my bike has been at 0 mph while clipped in. It looks stupid, but it hurts a lot less than while moving fast, and I'd like to keep it that way!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I just put aerobars on my road bike to help me speed up a little in triathlons. Ok, how do you do it? I am completely comfortable, well-balanced, and feel great on my bike at any speed. But I move to the aerobars and I shake and weave around like crazy! Does it just take time to get used to or am I missing something? I don't even feel safe using them yet, and I'm darn sure not going to use them while clipped in...

So far, every fall I have ever taken off my bike has been at 0 mph while clipped in. It looks stupid, but it hurts a lot less than while moving fast, and I'd like to keep it that way!

You read my mind..........I'm wobbly as all get out too....
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I had no problem when I switched to a tri bike, but I've read some people take awhile to get comfortable. Just keep practicing in a semi-controlled environment (a big vacant parking lot for example) and eventually you should get the hang of it.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness it's not just me wobbling around!
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It just takes time and confidence. Keep at it!
  • _Dara_
    _Dara_ Posts: 19
    Options
    Keep at it. You will get used to it. It took me a couple of weeks of consistent riding before I started feeling comfortable using my aero bars. Also, if you don't feel comfortable using them while clipped in, you might try putting some caged pedals on until you get used to them.