Food Ideas for when you are broke

Options
Hey every one,
I am in the midst of moving and currently don't have a lot of funds available. I'm talking I can afford some top ramen and that is about all. Does any one know of any tricks or some cheap food that can get me by for the next few weeks that is relatively inexpensive but good for me and will not destroy my progress?

Thank you!!

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Rice & beans are cheap, easy, and filling! Buy dried beans and cook them in a slow cooker with some seasonings and then serve over brown rice, and you have several meals that only cost a few dollars! :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Rice & beans are cheap, easy, and filling! Buy dried beans and cook them in a slow cooker with some seasonings and then serve over brown rice, and you have several meals that only cost a few dollars! :)

My thoughts exactly
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A few deals I've seen at the store recently:

Tuna in water - $1 per can
    Bag of dry black beans or lentils- $1.50
    Greek yogurt (store brand 6oz)-$1
    Fresh express salad- $1.86 per bag
    Lean Cuisine dinners- $2 each
    Mangos- $1 each
    Zucchini or yellow squash- 99 cents per pound

Don't forget about coupons. I go online to my grocery store website and add coupons to my store card. I also clip coupons in the paper and online. I can often get some items for close to free.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Depending on how many you eat at a time, a carton of eggs could last you at least a week...
  • photoshyY
    Options
    I did a quick google search and here sites that came up with good ideas:

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/52070-twenty-healthiest-foods-1
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars
    http://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-11-2009/foods_under_a_dollar_per_pound.2.html

Here a site I found that has recipes for Ramen with calorie and nutrition breakdown.

http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?qt=k&rt=r&origin=Home+Page&pqt=k&ms=0&fo=0&wt=Ramen noddles

I think the hardest part is being creative. If you buy a whole chicken you can easily separate it into smaller portions for several meals. It cheaper than buying chicken breast, chicken thighs, legs ect.... If you eat red meat you can buy a roast and cut in half, boil half with spices, bake the other. Now you have two different tasting types of red meat. The boiled half of course can even be stretched out to other meals, salads, tacos, sandwich ect... Veggie and fruits are always cheaper, make them apart of every meal or snack. They are filling and good for you. Sometimes it just a matter of thinking outside the box in recipes. I have found some of my tastiest meals have come from almost empty pantry, and they can be healthy.
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Echoiing the beans and rice idea. It's a complete protein, and if you put it with some in-season vegetables (you can generally find some cheap, or if you have family/friends that have gardens you might be able to score some for free) that should hold you until your cash flow is in better shape.
  • monuments_n_melodies
    Options
    Thank you every one this is very helpful! :smile:
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Apples by the bag are cheap too.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Last night I made this delicious black bean salad. I used 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of corn, i can of rotel (or just diced tomatoes if you want), 1 cup of italian dressing, 1 lime, 1 green pepper, 1/2 onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, and some garlic salt. You can obviously tweek it how you like, but it was cheap and delicious and I'm planning on it lasting me all week for my lunch.

I also started buy the store brand greek yogurt, which is just as good as Chobani.

If you have any farmer's markets close by, maybe check it out for produce. Usually it's cheaper there then in the grocery stores.

I'm still figuring out ways to save money too, but this is what I've done so far. Good luck!
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about pasta with sauce and veggies? Also google depression era cooking on youtube because there is this old lady that makes super cheap meals and talks about the depression. She's very cute and funny!
  • monuments_n_melodies
    Options
    Last night I made this delicious black bean salad. I used 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of corn, i can of rotel (or just diced tomatoes if you want), 1 cup of italian dressing, 1 lime, 1 green pepper, 1/2 onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, and some garlic salt. You can obviously tweek it how you like, but it was cheap and delicious and I'm planning on it lasting me all week for my lunch.

I also started buy the store brand greek yogurt, which is just as good as Chobani.

If you have any farmer's markets close by, maybe check it out for produce. Usually it's cheaper there then in the grocery stores.

I'm still figuring out ways to save money too, but this is what I've done so far. Good luck!

This sounds amazing!
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Most of the food I eat now is cheap -- canned sardines, canned beans, frozen vegetables, raw chicken (a bit more expensive but still really cheap when I buy about 4 pounds of it).
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is overnight oatmeal. Add 1 cup Scottish oatmeal and 3 cups water to the slow cooker in the evening, then cook on low all night. Serve with your choice of milk, cinnamon, honey, butter, maple syrup, fruit, nuts, etc.

It's healthy, delicious and very filling!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Apples, peanut butter, whole wheat bread... those are my best friends when I am broke.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i buy my food at aldi which cuts my expense alot.....remember canned veggies are just as good as any and when im broke ...i know its sounds gross....i do alot of canned meat too... salmon...chicken and tuna .......all much less expensive then fresh or bulk frozen
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    BEANSSSS

Beans are seriously the best. Shove those bad boys in the crock pot with water and BAM you have a meal/meal base for like A DOLLAR FOR A WHOLE WEEK. You can add like everything to beans. Sour cream? Guacamole? Barbeque sauce?! HOT DOGS?! SALT?! HOT SAUCE?! etc

plus they are so darn filling

beans for president!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have one near you but I find alot of stuff at the Dollar Store....ours has a frozen food section and alot of times they get stuff that are brand name only because they are close to expiring.
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    If you have a large Dollar tree in your area hit them up! I buy my whole grain bread there, and they have a freezer section. the Pict Sweet mixed veggie cartons are only about .98 at walmart and youll have enough for about two meals. Add that in some raman with a little soy sauce and voila!
  • KimMesser319
    KimMesser319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You could use the ramen as noodles then add meat to get some protein...that way you aren't buying noodles.

Rice and beans are great...
    Tuna is cheap
    Oatmeal can be filling....

We have a beans and meat recipe that you could make in a crockpot and it would last for several meals...let me know if you want the recipe. It's ranch beans, ground beef/turkey, bbq and teriakyi sauce

Also, look in your phone book for a butcher shop. We had one by our old house and ground beef was $1.65lb and chicken was $4/lb and various other meats...it saved us a bunch!