In about a month and a half....

Options
I should be starting school. I start school around Sep. 20. Which is about a month and a half. I started exercising mid July and I joined the gym on July 26th. I have so far lost 8 pounds and about 4 inches. My goal is to reach a size 18 because it will be a kick start to my confidence. I am currently at a size 24.....realistically I think I'll be at a size 22 by mid September. What do you guys think? I'm not weighing my self constantly because I don't want to be stressing my self out....

What do you guys think? What's realistic in a month and a half?

Replies

• PatByrne82
    PatByrne82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i reckon it's realistic.
    If managed properly anything is possible.
    Try and do as much exercise as possible but also don't forget to have rest days.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    6 weeks.

Judging by your starting weight I would say 20-24lb is possible.

First quarter ton fell off me in about that time.
  • shunlb
    shunlb Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, congrats on the weight you have lost!!!!!!! I truly believe you can lose at least 7-10 pounds a month as a starting goal. One thing that really helped me shed the pounds faster was drinking lots of water. I started drinking at least 90 ounces per day which also made me want less sugary foods. The more water I drank, the less I craved sweets for some reason. So start drinking more water and no sodas!!!! Good luck, let me know how it turns out!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    realistic because its still super early and the early stages fly by. Take your measurements though. Youre 100% right in forgetting the scale, but I would either get a measuring tape or a size 18 pair of jeans and nail those suckers to the wall.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In my first 6 weeks, I lost 20 or so pounds. Weight loss is fast at first but then it slows down.
  • In 6 weeks I would say 30 lbs is reasonable, if you are going hard at the gym and eating clean. In order to earn that 30, you'll have to be super-committed though. You gain/lose a dress size about every 10 lbs, so that means you could get down to a 20 or so. Of course, we don't necessarily lose weight uniformly (all over our bodies) or from one specific area (eg: arms, waist), so depending on where you carry your weight, you might not fit the size you're hoping to...butas long as you're losing, you're winning! :) If the size is going down and the scale is going down, you're on the right track. Good luck!!
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily set your goals by size. Sizes are funny things and can't always be predicted by weight loss. Losing 120 pounds, I can say I've gone from a tight 30 to an 18 but it's not like I could definitely fit into the next size every 20 pounds even though it averages out to that. Keep up the great work, but please don't focus on size as a measure of confidence!
  • mutleycakes
    mutleycakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you are very wise not to weigh yourself too much.
    I was told by the gym trainer to measure or get a pair of tight pants and try them every couple of weeks. it works i have lost 2 dress sizes since april. two and a half stones to date.(35 lb)
    Also if you are exercising a lot muscle weighs heavier than fat.
    Good luck stick at it you can do it.
  • veronicajjasax
    Options
    It's definitely possible! :) I finally reached my size 18 pant size and I use to be a size 26/28.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily set your goals by size. Sizes are funny things and can't always be predicted by weight loss. Losing 120 pounds, I can say I've gone from a tight 30 to an 18 but it's not like I could definitely fit into the next size every 20 pounds even though it averages out to that. Keep up the great work, but please don't focus on size as a measure of confidence!
    ^^Great advice.

Sizes are so jacked up anyway. Target says I'm a 13, Old navy says I'm a 10, Levi's says I'm a 9. Obviously, I tell people I'm a 9 because that's the smallest one, but still, it's not an accurate measurement of what size I REALLY am.

Just aim to be a fitter, healthier version of your current self by September. I would say that is definately an attainable goal.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible if you work hard enough!! Good Luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • mama2mila
    Options
    Work hard, cross-train, and eat clean.

I was working out with a trainer for 8 weeks, and lost about 5 pounds, but also went from 38% bodyfat to 24%, lost 3 inches off my thighs, 2 inches off my arms, and 8 inches off my waist. It can be done!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    It can be but your going to need to do some calculations.

Find out what your BMR is (Basal Metabolic rate) Here is a link; http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Whatever that number is how much you would need to eat to maintain your current weight.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. You need to burn/have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound. Saying that, when I first started out the weight fell off me so I'm not sure how accurate that is for the first month. Mostly because your body is adjusting to some dramatic changes. I suspect you'll lose more then this estimate.

So say, and this is just an example, your BMR is 2000 calories. You want to lose 2 pounds a week.

That's 7500 calories you need to cut out of your diet. If you eat a 1500 calorie a day, that leaves 3500 more calories you will need to burn off through exercise. You should burn at least 500 calories a day.

I hope that helps.