Couch to 5K

Options
Has anyone here done it? I don't want to buy the app, is there a website that simply lists each day what you do?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Run your Butt off" You should be able to borrow it from your local library. It is the same principle as C25k. It starts with all walking for 30 mins and builds up to 30 mins of running non stop over a course of several weeks.
  • bokids3
    bokids3 Posts: 3
    Options
    I hate running but the app is work the $3. My husband did it. There were days when he would come home and die at the thought of have to run 5 MINUTES STRAIGHT the next day. But the app works...he was able to run the entire 5k straight when he followed every step of the app.
  • dobby1611
    Options
    Brittany, I have just completed my first 10 k after 3 months of training up to 5k... if you go to this website then there is a useful plan to follow.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good Luck
  • brittanyhubbel
    Options
    thank you!!
  • brittanyhubbel
    Options
    Can it be done on a treadmill? I would that would be easier tracking the time/distance
  • dobby1611
    Options
    Yes of course it can, you will just need to decide on your pace before you start so that you can switch between running and walking as you go.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just found an interval timer app for free. It makes loud beeps for when I need to switch pace and I can run it while listening to my own music too.
  • Nursejordan84
    Nursejordan84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used the C25k App for my First 5k Training.. I MUST say that it is Totally WORTH THE MONEY! For the results you get!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i used cool running too. i did use an app, but i was running outside.
  • wiregrrl
    wiregrrl Posts: 14
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I just started c25l this week & found this to be really helpful. Much easier to track when you're supposed to run/walk.

I also found this but I haven't used it yet. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I got the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone... and it was free. There are 2 versions. one which is free, which has a little advert at the bottom, and one which you pay for which doesn't have the advertisement - I got the free one. Or, if you're from the UK, you can get a pod cast on iTunes which is free, which has every week / day on it, and it tells you when to walk and when to jog etc.

Couch to 5K is only jogging and walking, whereas Couch to 10K is walking, jogging and running
    Couch to 10K is the same as Couch to 5K, just with an added 5 weeks on top of running / walking.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I just started c25l this week & found this to be really helpful. Much easier to track when you're supposed to run/walk.

This! I just cut out the little square for what day I'm on and set it on the treadmill and go for it! The bad part is when my little square goes flying off - but so far the 2 times that has happened I was near the end and didn't really need it anymore.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've done couch to 5k and currently am doing 0 to 5k... I like the 0 to 5k better.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I got the C25K app last week and it was free. One week in and I'm still going. It's really not that bad surprisingly. I love it!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    there is a lite version of the c25k app that's free. the pro version is just 1.99 so it is not expensive at all. i'd just get it. it's too hard to remember when to run and when to walk.
  • Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    Options
    My cousin's wife did Couch to 5k and followed it to the letter. She lost some significant weight and it actually got her in shape enough to follow it with p90x. As a recreational runner, I've got to say, I was very impressed with her progress. One thing to remember that is important-if your goal is to run a 5k on concrete, treadmill training alone might not prepare your body. The differece in strain on your joints between training on concrete and training on a treadmill is significant. If your goal with the program is to run a 5k on actual ground, I would recommend that you mix treadmill runs with solid-ground runs to prepare your body for increased strain.
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 5k101 fitness trainer. I found it on itunes for free when I was looking for couch to 5k. It's in the podcasts. I'm one week away from running my first 5k in years. It's helped me so much. I started out struggling after two minutes of running, last night i ran three intervals of 12 minutes.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Not using the app. Using the printed out pdf page that says "run for x minutes, walk for x minutes" and a stop watch. The printable version is on the c25k website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are several free podcasts on itunes that you can download that talk you through it also, with or without music.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    The program Endomondo for Android lets you enter in interval times. c25k is an awesome program. I love to run and it's what got me there.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    My cousin's wife did Couch to 5k and followed it to the letter. She lost some significant weight and it actually got her in shape enough to follow it with p90x. As a recreational runner, I've got to say, I was very impressed with her progress. One thing to remember that is important-if your goal is to run a 5k on concrete, treadmill training alone might not prepare your body. The differece in strain on your joints between training on concrete and training on a treadmill is significant. If your goal with the program is to run a 5k on actual ground, I would recommend that you mix treadmill runs with solid-ground runs to prepare your body for increased strain.

Yes, this... And on the treadmill set your incline to 1 or 2. It'll help adjust you to outside. Outside is different running but you get use to it quick, just don't expect to do as well as you do on the treadmill on your first run outside.