How do you stay motivated when in pain and/or exhausted?

Options
I really need advice to try and help me get my motivation back because right now the will power has gone i feel to drained to have any. Help! Cx

Replies

• ctroni
    ctroni Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that PAIN IS WEAKNESS leaving the body. Prior to my membership in June of MFP, I hated to exercise, sweat, or be in pain. But I have decided at the age of 40, if not now then when am I going to lose the weight? So since starting in June, I went from working out 1 day a week to working out 6 days a week plus walking 2 miles, hula hooping, and 80 - 100 crunches three times a week. And I am logging all my food everyday. My advice to you is to lose it now in your 20's; don't wait until you're 40 when you have catered to everyone else except for yourself for years AND according to medical standards you are obese. Good luck to you!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I am in pain everyday of my life. I had spinal fusion back surgery in 1992 and have a bulging disc in my lower spine. Pain is something I'm used to dealing with all the time. However, there are times when the pain becomes unbearable and when it does? I simply take a bit of a break. People can say what they want about pain, but when you deal with it everyday? You learn that sometimes it is your body's way of telling you it NEEDS a break or it simply can not do something you want it do. Listen to your body. Give it a break if it needs it. But, remember to get back into things when you can. Don't let it control you or ruin what you've accomplished but don't discount it either.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just do it. There's no excuses. Working out is an every day thing for me, it's turned into a habit. At this point, NOT exercising feels weird to me. Even if I'm exhausted, I work out, even if for a little bit. It's better than nothing and I feel better afterwards!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Pancakes. Yesterday was my last day of my personal 100 mile/week challenge. I had 22 miles left to ride my bike, and I was tired and sore from the 88 miles I had already ridden. My husband went along with me, and whenever we hit a good sized hill, I just envisioned the big stack of pancakes that I would be eating today.

Try a small reward for a job well done. :smile:
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Enlist as many methods as you need to keep you moving in a positive direction towards your goal. Ask friends to workout with you, post positive messages on every mirror in your home, whatever it takes. My one walking partner went to bed every night for three weeks at 8 PM when she started getting in shape and reworking her food plan. When asked why: she said it is the best way for me to avoid temptation at this time and I will do whatever it takes to accomplish this.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I try to find something I can still do to work around the pain. Like yoga, sometimes you have to know your limits or you can really hurt yourself.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Music... works more or less every time! X
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you're truly exhausted and your workout routine is taking it out of you, it's okay to scale it back or take a rest day. Rest days are important, and over training generally causes more harm than good.

You have to learn when your body is signaling you to slow down and when it's just laziness.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    If you're truly exhausted and your workout routine is taking it out of you, it's okay to scale it back or take a rest day. Rest days are important, and over training generally causes more harm than good.

You have to learn when your body is signaling you to slow down and when it's just laziness.

I agree. It is really hard to allow myself a rest, but when my knee started bothering me, I kept going & it kept getting worse. When I finally went to the doctor, he told me to take a least one rest day a week. You can still take a walk or something light, but it does help me with motivation and the energy I have for my workouts for the rest of the week. I also use music as motivation...I have playlists tailored for each of my different workouts. When I download new music, I can't wait to go to the gym. Taking classes sometimes helps, especially if you take them with other friends (or make friends in the class) b/c you don't focus on the time you are putting in so much.

If you are really in pain, go get it checked out...you can hurt yourself worse & then you won't be able to do anything!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Heavy metal for me.
    Any music that pumps you up.
    Many days I feel tired but once I'm outside and moving it goes away.
  • claire47
    claire47 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks people, feeling more motivated already! Cx
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Music... works more or less every time! X

This, and, I tell myself just one more minute, just one more minute...
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ive had a broken back twice. I have 3 fractures in my neck. I have titanium pins plates and screws from my neck to my ankles. I KNOW PAIN.

But...you DO what you gotta do and work thru it. I take pain meds daily just to function.

I hurt every day. Whether I work out or not---I hurt. Soooooo I might as well work out thru the hurt and "suffer" the rewards of losing weight and being healthier. It's a win win situation.

Not working out or not losing weight is gonna hurt a whole helluva lot worse in years to come as you struggle to carry the weight around and tax those weak muscles and stressed joints.

Claire....its way easier to lose weight and work out in your 20s than it will be when you're 50 +, already over weight and tired and sore.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Comeon now Little One..............fight this and win!!!