Demon drink - what do you do about alcohol?

Options
:happy: Hi all, I'm new to this site and love it. My question is - if you like to drink alcohol like me, do you try and cut down to keep your calorie count lower, or do you do loads of exercise to make up for the calories, or do you just cut it out altogether as you're trying to lose weight and get fitter?

What's the best approach to alcohol and can it work? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Replies

• laura4smith
    laura4smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I cut out 'demon drinks' until I am fit. But, that is just me.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I drink less often than I used to.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've given it up and don't miss it any more as I feel so much healthier :-)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I open mouth and consume demons.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I drink some wine... 1-2 glasses a few nights a week. But I burn a lot of calories running. When I'm gearing up for a race I cut it out entirely (usually) for the week or so leading up as it messes with my hydration levels and such.

I've not had a problem losing but then I eat 2100 calories/day to lose, so 150-300 coming from wine doesn't have me sacrificing much nutrition.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I cut back. It's not just about calories but also macros. When I do drink, I try to choose better options and don't have more than 2 unless it's a super special occasion.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to straight spirits, not too high calorie
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I rarely go out anymore, but if my friends invite me I will because I will be moving out of the country soon. However, rather than having 5 or 6 vodka cranberry juices, I have no more than 2 or 3. And I either work out earlier in the day if I know I'm going out and if I don't know, then I work out extra the next day. I try to stay away from alcohol though because my family has a strong addictive history to drugs and alcohol, plus I hate how I feel like crap the next day. I'd much rather run :D
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine or a beer almost every single day. And on the weekends...well...I have more. I just make sure I've got the calories for it! Hasn't hindered my weight loss or health in the least. Everything in moderation...some people like a bit of ice cream, some people like a slice of pizza, I like a good glass of wine or nice frosty beer.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking

I don't have the taste for it anymore and find it very unhealthy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I count the calories for wine.
    If I drink spirits I mix with club soda
    I make sure I don't eat crap while drinking. :smile:
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've cut back dramatically in the last 4 weeks.
    It was having a really bad effect on my relationship aswell as my diet.
    I think everything is fine in moderation
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I pour it into my mouth usually.

I cut down to 1 beer a day (usually) and work out to make the calories back. I've consumed 504 unique beers since I started my diet and have lost 67lbs.
  • rockersbaby1
    rockersbaby1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome recipe for skinny margaritas! :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I drink some wine... 1-2 glasses a few nights a week. But I burn a lot of calories running. When I'm gearing up for a race I cut it out entirely (usually) for the week or so leading up as it messes with my hydration levels and such.

I've not had a problem losing but then I eat 2100 calories/day to lose, so 150-300 coming from wine doesn't have me sacrificing much nutrition.

Ditto on the pre-race thing. I tend not to drink at all for a few days leading up to a race, up to a week for longer ones, just from a hydration stand point. Otherwise I don't deprive myself.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    :happy: do you do loads of exercise to make up for the calories

Do this, once you figure out how much work it is to work off one drink you really won't feel like having a second.
  • Karen5732
    Karen5732 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Drink it.. but include in daily allowance !!
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    I've cut down to drinking only at weekends and make sure I burn off the calories first. Good luck.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I stopped drinking

I don't have the taste for it anymore and find it very unhealthy

It's only unhealthy in excess, just like anything.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    One glass of red wine on most nights. I budget for it in the calorie tracker.