Why did I think I was fat?!?!

Options
My problem is that, no matter what weight, size clothing, or how healthy I feel, I always think I'm fat! I just hope that when I do finally reach my goal weight I can realize where I am to avoid the up and down I've done throughout my life. Does anyone else do this? If you are at your goal weight when does it click? This is me 3 years ago - I thought I looked fat and wore a shrug to cover my "fat" arms. What a moron that girl was!
arock1000[img][/img]

Replies

• arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Figured it out :)
    5460_1154649440153_7854421_njpg.jpg
  • stephywefy20
    Options
    is it when you look at yourself naked or with clothes on too?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My problem is that, no matter what weight, size clothing, or how healthy I feel, I always think I'm fat! I just hope that when I do finally reach my goal weight I can realize where I am to avoid the up and down I've done throughout my life. Does anyone else do this? If you are at your goal weight when does it click? This is me 3 years ago - I thought I looked fat and wore a shrug to cover my "fat" arms. What a moron that girl was!
    arock1000[img][/img]

I think you're beautiful in that pic and you'll be beautiful when you reach your goal weight. :)

I did this when I was thin in school; I judged myself based on what the other girls looked like as opposed to what I actually was. I'll let you know in a year or so if it's the same this time around ;)
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you were fat but I recommend buying a caliper (such as Accumeasure) and do some skinfold tests to get your body fat percentage. Then you'll have the measurement you're looking for -- weight is a near-meaningless measurement for most people.
  • stephywefy20
    Options
    you're not fat anyways. you're conventionally attractive. I think your self esteem is just really low. if you don't like how you look NAKED start building muscle and sculpting your figure
  • gina4766
    gina4766 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wonder that myself! I started in a size 24 and I am sitting here typing this wearing a size 6. I still feel huge! I think I may never be satisfied. I still have 14 lbs to goal, but will a size 4 really feel small enough? who knows.
  • peachykeek
    Options
    i noticed the same thing about myself a couple of years ago... i would look back at old pictures and think, 'gosh, i looked pretty good!'... and then i remembered how i felt at the time the picture was taken, which was, 'gosh, i look so gross!' i had this lightbulb moment after doing that a couple of times... my weight is not what i need to change about myself. yes, i want to feel more comfortable with my body, but my attitude is what really needs changing. while i do want to lose weight and get in shape, i think it's just as (if not more) important to be okay with my body as it is NOW. i can still work toward making it what i want it to be or hitting a certain number on the scale, but if i don't change my attitude, i'm probably not going to be okay with it when i reach my goal, either. (plus i'll be unhappy in the meantime... as if i'm not worthy until i accomplish a "better" body shape.)

i found this link helpful: http://momitforward.com/body-image-positive-affirmations-for-accepting-and-loving-your-body

you're right... you did look beautiful then, and i bet you do now, too :)
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't obsess on what size clothes I wear. I want to look healthy and be fit. Don't try to criticize yourself or you will never be satisfied with the way you look.
  • arock1000
    Options
    [/quote]

I think you're beautiful in that pic and you'll be beautiful when you reach your goal weight. :)

I did this when I was thin in school; I judged myself based on what the other girls looked like as opposed to what I actually was. I'll let you know in a year or so if it's the same this time around ;)
    [/quote]

Thanks! Can't wait to get back to how "fat" I was then :) My friends in high school and college were/are all tall and thin and it's so hard not to compare your clothing size/weight with them. When I do reach my goal maybe it will have the opposite effect to take a look at my starting weight pics to remind my self where I came from.
  • arock1000
    Options
    you're not fat anyways. you're conventionally attractive. I think your self esteem is just really low. if you don't like how you look NAKED start building muscle and sculpting your figure

I've had weight issues since grade school so I think that has a lot to do with it. I don't have really low self-esteem though - just some things I need to work on. I don't cry myself to sleep at night :)
    I lift weights 3x a week and cardio 3x a week. Just trying to get back to the way I looked 3 yrs ago in that pic. I'll get there and I'll be healthier when I do.
  • arock1000
    Options
    I wonder that myself! I started in a size 24 and I am sitting here typing this wearing a size 6. I still feel huge! I think I may never be satisfied. I still have 14 lbs to goal, but will a size 4 really feel small enough? who knows.

YOU are awesome!!! You have come so far - very impressive! People like you keep me going. I know people can tell you that you look great all day long but it's what YOU think that is your reality. But I'm still going to say it - you look fit, gorgeous and super happy!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little chubby but I wouldn't say fat. You could lift weights if you want to look more defined.
  • midnightwhispers
    Options
    I was hit with this thought today also! Six years ago I lost a ton of weight (90 lbs). I still felt huge and tried to cover up as much as possible. Today I was looking through some old pics and found some of me then and have no idea what the hell I was thinking! I would kill to be that size again
  • gina4766
    gina4766 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am super happy, dont get me wrong I know my life has changed for the better. I just dont know if I will ever feel like a thin person in my head.