College Dining Halls

Options
Hey everyone-
So I had an amazing summer and first few weeks of the school year making my own food, portioning it out just right (with cups, scales, spoons, etc) and then it hit me that my mini fridge is emptying because it's time for the meal plan at school to start. Well, I am completely freaking out. Not only has the school not posted the menu for this semester, but they haven't posted nutrition facts either. I mean I guess I shouldn't freak out but I was looking back on past intake and school and was noticing my sodium is THROUGH THE ROOF. It was like in the 4,000 mg some days. I still lost and all (which was bad because I am trying to gain weight) but I am just so confused. Also, I am the RA in a dorm and I have to gain 25-30lbs for medical reasons and just don't know what all the girls are gonna say/think. Throw in the fact that I am recovering from anorexia and you got a butt load of problems. So how do I conquer the dining hall. Just snack on what I have in my room and avoid it till they get things posted. Or brave it and try and eat things I know the counts on? Or just screw logging for a little while?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you speak to a nutritionist to create a meal plan that meets your specific needs and helps you make the best choices in a college dining setting.
    With the ED hurdle and needing to gain weight, I think you need some guidance here that MFP can't provide.
  • djb2014
    djb2014 Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you have a medical clinic there on your campus?? I had a friend who needed special dietary needs, and she was able to work with the staff at our clinic and they were able to help her figure out what she needed to do. I dont know if hers was just a specific case or something but it might be worth checking with them just in case :)
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if all else fails take your scales, and measuring cups to the dining hall and log as accurate as you can, your logged cals dont have to be spot on, but at least you will have a closer estimation of the cals you ate that day
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I work with a dietician who has me using MFP. Guess I just wanted suggestions on how people learn to not be so anal with weighing and logging and just let it go? Has being less stringent caused anyone rapid weight gain or anything?
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have tips of loosening the reigns on measuring and just starting to enjoy food and life?
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat at the dining hall, definitely email your dietician for advice but you need to eat enough, thats the most important thing