Demon drink - what do you do about alcohol?

Options

Replies

• Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i never intended to cut out the demon drink. I love wine, and miss it terribly! But now that I'm eating healthier, I notice that I bloat uncomfortably for 3-4 days after drinking. I cut it out while I'm still trying to lose weight. Once I hit maintenance mode, I expect I'll enjoy my wine on occasion. But for now? Zero demon drinks for me!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I binge most weekends, I only log what I can remember but I've usually been quite healthy through the day and danced the night away for exercise. Next day I don't feel like eating so it sort of evens the calories out :drinker: On day 3 of no drinking for a month at the moment though :sad: We'll see how that goes :huh: :glasses:
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anymore. I'd rather eat those calories.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I kind of quit drinking and I think it was a good choice...when I drink, I tend to go all-out PLUS I would ALWAYS eat ****ty food after drinking (think McDonald's, Taco Bell, or frozen pizza).
    When I do go out, I have said goodbye to my old friend Long Island Iced Tea (GOD, there are so many calories in those things!) I just stick to Jack Daniels & diet coke, or gin and tonic, and try to only have about 3. Usually if I know I'm going to have an evening out, I try to work out a little extra or eat a little less and figure in the calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your age - at least for me, at 51, cutting alcohol out almost completely gets me the best results. Something about the empty calories of alcohol - they just don't burn off and tend to congregate on the waist line.
    I will set a goal during the week of no alcohol - then "reward" myself with a glass of wine one night/week which I sip very slowly and make last as long as possible!:drinker:
    At 47, I'd say this is true for me as well. I used to be able to lose while drinking wine, but not so much now. sigh.
  • ikillem
    ikillem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    mmm im a wine drinker. Just do it in moderation or work out like a champ to make some room!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I open mouth and consume demons.

The demons and I have a close bond.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut way back on drinks, but I discovered a delicious mixed drink that's only about 100 calories.

For a small (~6 oz) glass with ice:
    1 shot of Smirnoff blueberry vodka
    fill rest of glass with Clear American pineapple coconut sparkling water
    squeeze of lime juice
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I drink only on my cheat day, & only one or two glasses. I'm not a huge drinker anyway..
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I only have a drink on a Friday & Saturday night, if that helps:bigsmile:
  • emyjeter
    emyjeter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you are able to limit yourself to say 1 or 2 and account for your calories, I don't see it as a problem. They are empty calories but if it's something you enjoy, most people don't suceed by depriving themselves. So moderation. :bigsmile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't drink except for maybe one or two drinks on a very special occasion.
  • traininwithstu
    Options
    Drink once a week MAX
    Eat only lean protein and veggies that day
    Stick to low carb like vodka/ water
    Do cardio the equivalent of the calories you drank the day after
    or if its a lot the next 2 non-strength training days
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine or a beer almost every single day. And on the weekends...well...I have more. I just make sure I've got the calories for it! Hasn't hindered my weight loss or health in the least. Everything in moderation...some people like a bit of ice cream, some people like a slice of pizza, I like a good glass of wine or nice frosty beer.

i do this. seems to work for me.
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    I have a glass of wine almost every night, because I love it and it helps me relax and unwind. But seriously, just one glass. For me, that glass is part of the motivation to eat under my calorie limit, because I won't let myself have it if I've already eaten too much that day.

The way I see it, this whole journey isn't a diet, but a lifestyle change. The only things I've cut out of my diet entirely are things I used to eat but don't really love - fried food, most desserts, etc. But if it's something I love that I want to eat, I make room for it in my daily life, just in moderation. So I still allow myself cheese, chocolate, and wine, because I can't imagine being my usual happy self without these things! I just have a lot less than I used to, and then I'm not tempted to binge and fall off the wagon.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    the way i look at it, im 22 years old, im going to go out with my friends, im going to go party with them and although i may drink a few to many calories i dont let my food or excersice slip...im not going to look back and say, "i was to busy trying not to be fat to go out and enjoy myself."
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    They call me "DemonSlayer", ridding the world of ethanol's evil, one shot at a time.
  • Sunshnsmiles
    Options
    Its 80% percent diet and 20% exercise... There will be cheat days when you are able to achieve your goals of fitness. Getting in shape really is about health though.... :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Heavy alcohol consumption and fitness don't really mesh. I pretty much gave it up all together because I'd rather eat my calories. That being said, I do still tie a serious one on twice a year (July and December) and will have a couple a couple times a year (typically 2-3 times a year during a fight-night or something)
  • gpwalling
    gpwalling Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a problematic issue for me. I really enjoy alcohol, particularly beer and wine. I live right next to Wine Country in California and I love getting out and tasting some wine, particularly in Sonoma County. My problem is that I do not drink in moderation very easily. I am an aging athlete and alcohol does not mix well with recovery from my hard efforts. It actually interferes with my body as it attempts to rebuild muscle etc. It also interferes with my sleep pattern. Further, I found myself overweight, having regained the 26 lbs. I lost last year preparing for an annual event I do every year--Cycle Oregon. So now I am in crunch time, trying to get in shape for CO which starts in mid-September. I need to drop some serious poundage--it is just way too difficult getting up and over those mountain passes at 225 lbs. So I am totally abstaining from alchol for the time being. I actually feel a lot better and sleep better. In the past, I have tried to abstain during the week while allowing some alcohol consumption on the weekend--this also works but not quite as well. Once I start drinking, I crave it when I can't have it. So for me, total abstinence is the ticket. The good news is that the weight is really starting to come off. I now weigh around 216 lbs, though I have not logged that weight in yet on MFP. Who knows what my weight will be when I start Cycle Oregon though I suspect it will be in the 205 lb range. It will be a heck of a lot easier to make the climb up and around Crater Lake at that weight.