In Place of a Road Map

Options
I know I am not the only one who gets intimidated "eating back exercise calories." I always ended up eating below the allowance number, thinking less was better. However, ever since I started a new workout program, I noticed that I often felt hungry on a 1300-1400 calorie a day intake. This amount was fine when I was exercising 3 days/per week, only doing slow-paced cardio. Since I have increased the days I worked out (6 days/per week) and incorporated circuit training, I often found myself hungry on a 1300-1400 calorie a day intake. MFP recommended eating back all of my exercise calories, which brings it up to 1600 calories. I often ate 200-300 calories under that amount and had hunger cravings. I found on the days I ate 1600-1700 calories the better I felt, and the few cravings I had.

I came across this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536 and followed the steps outlined there. According to fat2fitradio, my TDEE is 2178. I subracted 20% off of my TDEE and got 1742, which is the number of NET calories I should be consuming a day, and inputted that number as my new calorie goal. My activity level is already included in TDEE, so I can forgo logging my workouts on MFP (still have to do the working out part though, lol). This is easier on me mentally since I don't have to see "You've earned xxxx extra calories from exercise today". I always felt intimidated eating back all of my exercise calories, despite knowing that the site already built in a deficit.

Is anyone else doing it this way?

Replies

• orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing it right, since you are not entering exercise in mfp net and total calories are the same.

May i ask, if you have already lost 18 lbs, why are you not sticking to what you were doing? Did you plateau?
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    No, lol, it's just a mental thing with me. I always eat under even though I know I should be eating more.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know, i always prefer to be under. Just now i am netting at BMR.... But if it aint broken .... ;)
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It was only when I threw out MFP's recommendations and went with what my trainer told me that things started moving in the right direction. Currently I'm eating 20/40/40 (%carbs/%protein/%fat) - calories I'm using are based on 1 gr Protein/lb body weight
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    *bump* ... (im off to bed and want to keep up!) .. :yawn: :flowerforyou:
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @orishp

That's in the back of my mind too. I might gain 2-3 lbs by upping my intake, but I doubt it will be real weight. I'm only increasing my intake by a few hundred calories, and even then I'll still be in a deficit. It might take me longer to reach my goal, but I'll get there eventually. I changed my mindset to losing inches than pounds and will be taking my measurements every month to gauge my progress.