Unsure about how to diet, and other questions.

Options
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to lose weight, of course, but I have no idea what to do about my diet. I'm just fine eating one to two meals a day with little else- I'm never all that hungry. What I want to know is if it's okay to be eating "dirty". I really don't like vegetables (flavor) and I don't really like the texture of very many fruits. I feel like I need to be eating healthier, but I just don't like a lot of healthy foods.

I'm sure this sounds absurd, but I don't know what to do. I do like apples though, and I'm sure I would like pears.

As for that other question: What can I do about loose skin? I haven't lost enough weight to get loose skin just yet, but I'm terrified of getting it. Are there any precautions I should take to avoid it? Or is it inevitable? If so, how much does a tummy tuck cost?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont think of it as a diet. pick something that you can do for the rest of your life since maintaining your weight loss is just as important as losing it. you will need to eat more healthy stuff so maybe gradually add things into your diet. your taste buds will change and arent set in stone

i wouldnt worry about lose skin unless it happens.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat healthy to lose weight, but being deficient in micronutrients can affect your progress indirectly, by making you low on energy, more vulnerable to sickness, etc.

As to your second question, looking at your age and amount you plan to lose, I'm almost certain loose skin won't be an issue.
  • LatentColors
    Options
    You don't have to eat healthy to lose weight, but being deficient in micronutrients can affect your progress indirectly, by making you low on energy, more vulnerable to sickness, etc.

As to your second question, looking at your age and amount you plan to lose, I'm almost certain loose skin won't be an issue.

Which is why I want to eat healthy. I just can't find anything I like :c

I'm actually planning to lose more, what I have now is just my current goal. I intend to get a lot farther down if I can reach 180! :3
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eat the healthy foods you like and let yourself have the not so healthy foods you like, but in moderation, and stick to one serving. As you get used to it, start trying new healthy foods and introduce them to your diet. Start paying attention to macros and start planning meals. This doesn't have to be done all in one week, or even one month, baby steps will help you be able to stick with it long term.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in vs. calories out. If you eat under maintenance you'll lose weight. If you eat nothing but twinkies you'll get to your goal, you might feel like crap and be unhealthy, but you'll get there. Don't be afraid of trying "dirty" versions of fruit/vegetables, at least you'll get the nutrients down.

V8 blends are high in sugar (taste good), but actually have micronutrients from fruits and veggies that you might not get otherwise. Just as one random, not the best, example.
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eat the healthy foods you like and let yourself have the not so healthy foods you like, but in moderation, and stick to one serving. As you get used to it, start trying new healthy foods and introduce them to your diet. Start paying attention to macros and start planning meals. This doesn't have to be done all in one week, or even one month, baby steps will help you be able to stick with it long term.

I second this! Once you start to get the hang of things, your tastes may change. Don't be afraid to try new healthy foods or revisit something you think you didn't like before. There are all kinds of ways to hide food and trick yourself into eating healthy. Check out some recipes to get ideas like Deceptively Delicious or Hungry Girl cookbooks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Over time your body will adjust and you will start to like healthier foods (especially as you reduce sugar). For example, I can no longer eat candy, french fries, and almost all fast food as if I do, my body beats me up for it. Eventually, you might be able to incorporate more fruits and veggies but just take it slowly.

Also, if you do some heavy weight training, that will help with stretch marks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is really an issue for those who lose a lot of weight really quickly. Lose slowly, the healthy way, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Make yourself a challenge to try one new fruit or vegetable each week or the same one but prepared a different way. On your visit to the grocery store walk through the produce aisle and buy one serving of something you haven't tried before. It's perfectly acceptable to add some cheese, butter, seasonings, or whatever it takes to make it taste good. Keep in mind that vegetables and fruits have different tastes and textures when prepared differently. Look at the potato, for instance. It can be mashed, sliced, fried, baked or even eaten raw. I know I personally hate broccoli raw; it's the texture. Steam it and I love it with just a little salt and pepper. I'm the opposite with cauliflower. :laugh:

Low sodium V8 is definitely another option and they also have a fruit flavored drink. You can also make your own smoothies from fruits and veggies. The possibilities are really endless. So be adventurous and give those veggies another try!
  • somedaysoon84
    Options

I second this! Once you start to get the hang of things, your tastes may change. Don't be afraid to try new healthy foods or revisit something you think you didn't like before. There are all kinds of ways to hide food and trick yourself into eating healthy. Check out some recipes to get ideas like Deceptively Delicious or Hungry Girl cookbooks.

YES!!! i would have told you 6 months ago that zuchinni was HORRIBLE.... i've had it like 3 times in the last week! i've baked it, stir fried it, and tonight its going in a shrimp/veggie pasta toss.... this weekend, i may grill it.....

i eat all sorts of things, the fatter me would have turned my nose up at. and i've learned to eat the things i love in a healthier way. it doesn't happen overnight. i'm still learning, and think i will always be tweaking the way i eat.
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm in authority, but I did a lot of perceptual psychology as part of my undergrad. If you don't like the tastes if things chances are your taste buds have become, over time, accustomed to particularly sweet and/or salty foods, hence why you prefer dirty versions of fruits and veggies. If you can manage to stomach eating super healthy for a month or two your systems thresholds for what is percievedbas sweet or salty will adapt to the healthier diet and you may even find foods that you once loved it be overly sweet or salty! I used to be able to eat chocolate by the truckload but gave it up for two months at the beginning of summer. Now if I have a few chocolate peanuts I'll get a stomach ache! Trust me, give it a shot and see how it goes :-)

GOOD LUCK!
  • LatentColors
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've taken into account all of your replies. I'm gonna try some vegetables soon. Hopefully I'll get used to them as you all say xD Ganbatte ne! (: