Italian spaghetti squash alfredo

Options
bthumudo
bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
Tried this for the first time on Sunday. Never had spaghetti squash before and it was incredible! My 4 year old daughter even tore it up!

Ingredients:
3 lb. spaghetti squash
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 lb. Italian ham, cut in thin strips
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Bake, cut-side down, 45 minutes or until tender. Scrape squash out of shell and drain into colander.

In large skillet, melt butter. Add ham and saute for 1 minute. Add peas and cook another minute. Add pepper and cream; cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes until cream thickens. Add cooked spaghetti squash; toss to blend. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and toss again. Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Makes 8 servings. 200 calories each.

Replies

• TCHAFFIN25
    TCHAFFIN25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash but have only had it one way. This sounds delicious!
  • bthumudo
    Options
    I am definitely going to be making this a staple in my diet since trying it. It was delicious. I was always nervous about trying spaghetti squash for some reason but not anymore!
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    sounds amazing thank's for sharing
  • gerald1019
    gerald1019 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    omg I'm totally making this tonight. Looks sooo good!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm growing spaghetti squash in my garden again this year. I planned to make some this weekend. I will use this recipe. There are SOOO many different ways to prepare it!! Love love love it.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We love spaghetti squash!!! I make an avocado alfredo with it all the time. We've made baked spaghetti and spaghetti with homemade meatballs too. I also make a fresh "pasta" salad that has become my go to potluck dish (because my friends and family demand it!!!) using spaghetti squash.
  • beccalynn1981
    beccalynn1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This sounds great!!
  • bthumudo
    Options
    We love spaghetti squash!!! I make an avocado alfredo with it all the time. We've made baked spaghetti and spaghetti with homemade meatballs too. I also make a fresh "pasta" salad that has become my go to potluck dish (because my friends and family demand it!!!) using spaghetti squash.

These sound delicious!!!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein in here to make a main dish though, I would put alot more ham in there. It sounds very good.
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    Bump......thank you!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Maggie, If you wanted to share some of those recipes that would be great!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy. I bet you could use lighter cream, and add some lowfat cream cheese and bring the calories down a bit and it would still taste great.
  • oreillyn
    oreillyn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yumm must try
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Options

Would love to get these reciepes!! I just started using spaghetti squash and am eager to learn new recipes!
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight! The deli didn't have any italian ham, or prociuto, so I just used thinly sliced smoked ham.I also added fresh minced garlic and mushrooms.

Very yummy, and very filling! I was sure I'd be hungry by now, since I ate 3 hours ago but I feel great!

My husband grumbled thinking he'd hate it, and he said, "It wasn't the worst thing you've made." LOL I'll take it. :)
  • BiGGiE76
    BiGGiE76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! Might save you a little time by cooking each half of the squash in the microwave for 10 minutes. Dunno if it will taste the same never tried it in the oven before, but it should. Just a suggestion.
  • bthumudo
    Options
    I made this tonight! The deli didn't have any italian ham, or prociuto, so I just used thinly sliced smoked ham.I also added fresh minced garlic and mushrooms.

Very yummy, and very filling! I was sure I'd be hungry by now, since I ate 3 hours ago but I feel great!

My husband grumbled thinking he'd hate it, and he said, "It wasn't the worst thing you've made." LOL I'll take it. :)

I'll have to try it with the mushrooms and garlic. I couldn't believe how filling it was either.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cant wait to try this!
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    Just to speed things up, you can cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave. Poke it with a fork (like baked potatoes), then cook for 5-6 min/pound. When done, cut in half. When cool enough to handle, just shred it out with a fork. Works very well.

I make a quick alfredo sauce with LF cream cheese, garlic, butter, parm cheese and FF milk.

Serve the pasta with sauce, I usually make some blackened chicken and broccoli. Its super yummy!