Looking for feedback on New Balance Minimus 10 or Nike Free

Options
2»

Replies

• hikergalrm
    hikergalrm Posts: 20
    Options
    Do you have a store that specializes in running. They can analyze you gate and help you with the right shoe. I went to the Boulder Running Co. In Boulder Co and they did this for me, it was amazing and I am in the proper shoe.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate the feedback. I can go to a local running store to have them re-evaluate my gait to be sure I'm not doing any further damage. Hadn't really thought about the impact absorption that is missing from these types of shoes for longer distances and my running intervals. I will certainly ask my orthopedic surgeon about that. I think for now, I'll only wear these in the gym or for very short distances until I have a good idea of how my knees/hips react to them.

Thank you again to everyone who took time to post. Every comment is very helpful.
  • Jaymazing
    Jaymazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I've never found a pair of Nike I could get on with including the "Free". They all seem to have a high "cuff" which digs into my ankles on uphill sections of runs: But plenty of people use Nike so it's probably me.
    I have that same problem - which is actually why I bought the Nike Free 4.0. So far, I'm loving them! I have some pinched nerves in my feet which heavy or tight shoes aggravate, so far I've had no issues with these shoes. The fit like a glove, but not in a bad way.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

I've never found a pair of Nike I could get on with including the "Free". They all seem to have a high "cuff" which digs into my ankles on uphill sections of runs: But plenty of people use Nike so it's probably me.
    I have that same problem - which is actually why I bought the Nike Free 4.0. So far, I'm loving them!

I haven't had that problem with Nikes, but Saucony...oh, yeah. I've had a couple pairs of NBs that did that, too.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I got my Nike Frees back in December and have been running and cross-training in them ever since. I absolutely love them. They're comfortable, light-weight, and airy. However, I will sayt that they do not have the best ankle support. They do not come up as high as others. I have not personally had any troubles running or doing anything else and I have a history of achilles tendon injury. I like that about them. I think that's part of what keeps them light. I'm not sure how they would support knees but from this runner, the Nike Frees are highly recommended!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i just got a pair of new balance on friday, so it's too soon to really say anything other than i like them, but i got them to replace the Nikes i had. I noticed with nikes, the minute they are broken in, they are worn out. The people at the shoe store (shoe carnival, they only wear tennis shoes) said "you notice NONE of us are wearing Nike's for just that reason"
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can read my review of Nike Frees here.

http://kyindc.blogspot.com/2011/01/training-tuesday-nike-free-as-bird.html

They are the only shoe I run in (various distances from 5ks to half marathons) but I am interested in trying out the New Balance minimal shoes as well.

Let me just warn you that the more you run in them, the quicker you have to replace them. I replace mine every 2-3 months or so. If I wear them any longer than that they start to hurt! ouch! >.< Good luck in finding the right shoe for you!

I would agree with making sure you replace them sooner. I have used both. I started with the Frees and then went to the Minimus. Got injured from putting on too many miles too quickly with the Minimus. I'm sticking with the Frees for now but I like the Minimus.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a NB Minimus fan. I wear the MT10 for trail running and the new MR00 for road running. I used to get IT Band Syndrome pretty bad during trail runs and switching to these minimalist shoes has eliminated it. My longest trail run in my MT10s is 10.5 miles and no issues. The shoes seem to be holding up really well, too.
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I bought NIke Free Run Shoes on a whim to run in... and I haven't looked back.

They are so light weight and flexible... I forgot that even have shoes on half the time!

I also have the NIke Free Trainer Shoes that I use for weight lifting and they are absolutely awesome for that too!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of the old Frees and loved them. When I tried the new version, they felt a lot less minimal. I ended up getting NB Minimus, which are OK, more minimal than the Frees, but don't seem to fit the shape of my foot very well. I think they are better for people with narrow feet.

If this is your first pair of minimal running shoes, I'd probably recommend the Free as a way to work into it bc the Minimus really is 0 drop. Frees are more forgiving if you're not running 100% on the forefoot.
  • bissabwell
    bissabwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I use the Brooks Pure Connect minimalist shoes. BEST shoes for my crappy knees.

This! I love love love my Brooks Pure Connect, but you should really get what works best for you.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the Altra Adam and love them. I also have the Vibram SeeYa and Bikila LS. All are great for running.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    I use the Brooks Pure Connect minimalist shoes. BEST shoes for my crappy knees.

This! I love love love my Brooks Pure Connect, but you should really get what works best for you.

been running in brooks for years- not the minimalist version though- and loved every step. just got a pair of the Merrell minimalist athletic shoes (running?) and they are GREAT! light as air, comfy all day too!