Slimfast diet...anyone tried it?

Options
I sometimes drink a slimfast shake for breakfast but have been thinking about trying their "diet" program. Has anyone tried it? I don't want to do it for very long. Maybe one day a week or for a week each month..? Has anyone had results with it?

Replies

• joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    nope
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Isn't that what Oprah got so skinny on all those years ago and then she swore never again?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Years and years ago I did it and lost weight but I put it all back on when I went back to my old ways (name a crash diet I've probably done it......some of us are just slow learners :laugh: )

The problem with these types of diets is that they don't give you the tools to take it off and keep it off - they're simply a band-aid masking the symptoms.
  • nycolemullins
    Options
    I'm not sure...if it is then I'm not trying it!
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did the slimfast program for a few months, but I think the reason I was able to stick to it is that I was in grad school and it was easy to just slip two shakes into my bag when I was going to be out of the house for fourteen hours. Plus, it let me eat chocolate for almost every meal, which helped with my stress from school. Still, I was eating a lot of donuts and hot chocolate with my extra calories, and at no point did I feel like I was eating healthy on that program.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It makes my butt bleed. So, that was pretty much the end of that. I lost a lot of weight though. LOL.
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    The shakes and bars are pretty high in sugar and sodium. Just eat right and be active!
  • nycolemullins
    Options
    *bump*
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will, very occasionally, drink one of the shakes in the morning. But only if I'm running really late and I've found an amazing deal on the stuff. It's never helped me lose weight but I'm ok using it to simply have something in my stomach. It's better than going without any breakfast.

I wouldn't recommend using the full on diet though. I've known several people who did and all it did was cost them a lot of money.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Ooo Slimfast..Great for gaining weight.
    Did it once in my 20's, gained 40 lbs..was great *sarcasm* never again.

If you need 'extra' calories I would recommend it highly! I told all my skinny friends they should go on it to gain weight. The shakes don't fill you up at all and for 500+ calories (or whatever they are now) it's just not worth it.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    FOR WHATEVER IT'S WORTH, "slimfast" is exactly the same as "Ensure". "Ensure" is a liquid sold in a can, sold for the purpose of GAINING weight, or, for increasing the nutrition of ppl who are not eating enough, such as sick people with poor appetites.

There is also "Ensure Plus" which has 100 extra calories than the plain "Ensure".

I loathe the taste of "slimfast" but love the taste of "Ensure". I think the price is similar, too. Seems to be exact same product, near as i can tell. Or, at least, it was years ago.

I once lost weight, using "ensure" (slimfast) for breakfast, and had cereal for dinner. There is tendency for anyone who loses weight to regain the weight back
    no matter which 'diet' you used to lose the weight
    >
    UNLESS one makes permanent, daily, ongoing, lifestyle changes.
  • pinkest_mom
    Options
    I have found that it just adds a high amount of processed sugar to my day and leaves me starving. I was doing the 1-2-3 plan, 3 snacks, 2 shakes, and 1 healthy dinner. The snacks are just candy bars on a smaller scale. They taste good but leave me hungry and increased my sugar cravings. I will drink a shake for breakfast now but have stopped buying their products in favor of a healthier unprocessed sugar alternatives. Following their diet I was easily 3 times over my sugar goal. I also find it does not contain enough protein.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like their chocolate powder, but I always thought their diet thing was kinda stupid. There is no way that I could eat that little. I would be lethargic and irritable.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have found that it just adds a high amount of processed sugar to my day and leaves me starving. I was doing the 1-2-3 plan, 3 snacks, 2 shakes, and 1 healthy dinner. The snacks are just candy bars on a smaller scale. They taste good but leave me hungry and increased my sugar cravings. I will drink a shake for breakfast now but have stopped buying their products in favor of a healthier unprocessed sugar alternatives. Following their diet I was easily 3 times over my sugar goal. I also find it does not contain enough protein.

Yes, their snacks are pretty much candy bars. I eat them from time to time for a sugar fix. It's better than a Snickers bar, I guess, lower in calories anyway.