lost 30lbs & have fat hanging off tummy

Options
I used to be 145 when I had my son and I am currently 117. When I was 130 I thought at 120 i'd be good but then i came to 120 and still have the big stomach. so i dropped my goal to 115 and im 117 now and there's no way two pounds will get rid of all that i have so then i thought my goal should be 110 - you know 7 more lbs but i'm starting to think that is not going to happen and 110 sounds very low to me. i'm 5'1 and i really don't care about the scale screw the number at this point really i just want this stomach gone. but i can't target or spot reduce. my exercise consists of walking and running and eating 1200 calories.

PLEASE help & advise me! I am starting to feel like i will always have this flab and ill never have a flat tummy this is who i am. i posted a pic of my legs n arms to show that im skinny everywhere but my stomach!

photo7uf.jpg

photo6xin.jpg

photo8ws.jpg

photo9ht.jpg

Replies

• crafty_65
    Options
    Have you tried Pilates? I have the same issue as you (or similar anyway) I have found that Pilates really does help firm things up. I have been doing it for just a few weeks now for 20 minutes 3 to 4 days a week. and I am seeing some progress. I think you can find some free ones to try out on Youtube. It can be pretty challenging, but it really feels good after walking on the treadmill. Good Luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you look great. Women often have a bit of a belly, it's not unnatural and it's not unhealthy. In addition, once we have children there are permanent changes that happen to our body.

That said, I agree with the other comment that exercise sure can't hurt. But those bellyless supermodels on tv and in magazines; that's not healthy or normal for most women.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    time to add strength training and core work to tone shape.

take a look at "new rules of lifting for abs"
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Check out T-Tapp. Great work out that does amazing at toning all over!!
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you don't need to loose anymore- just tone up!
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, and I think it's not really about fat, but the elasticity of the skin.... It can only do so much.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels videos! Especially 30 Day Shred (only 30 minutes) or Ripped in 30! I have seen some AMAZING before and after pictures!! Both videos can be found on youtube for free!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 1/2 and have ALOT further to go than you to get to 115 (my goal) but getting rid of the flab is one of my goals too. I do some situps and ab workouts to try to tighten things up there as I lose weight. Not sure how it will work out since I can't visibly see the difference yet but all I can do is try. But what I really wanted to say was that 115 is a fine goal for our height, but so is 110. I've done alot of research to find out what the healthy range should be for my goals and I've found range estimates that start as low as 95 and go as high as 135. So 110 is not dangerously low or anything....just right in the middle of the range. So if you want to try it and see if it makes a difference, I'd say go for it. Good luck going forward!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    You should start weight training. Running/Walking will only do so much. Once you start to gain/build muscle your body will start to look "healthy" vs skinny (and by no means am I saying you do not look good - you look great). I am 5'2 and 125lbs. I got down to 115 and thought it was too skinny, I added more weight but then felt flabby...so I added weight training (NROL4W - New Rules of Lifting for Women) and things are looking better! I have gained 5 lbs in a month but I am totally OK with that seeing the changes in my body/muscles, etc.

So try a lifting routine for a few months (something that incorporates a full body type workout like NROL4W).
  • cjeanthiele
    Options
    Once again, doesn't look that bad to me... however, if it bugs you... Since you said the problem started after having your son, you may want to note that pregnancy stretches the abs. "Spot reducing" doesn't work but targeted toning might. The above suggestions about Pilates and /or core strengthening exercises are probably your best bet
  • nawlinskat
    Options
    You can get rid of that belly.I would check out Tosca Reno's(widow of late Robert Kennedy,publisher of Oxygen mag) Clean Eating info.She has info up on youtube and has websites and several books and is a contributor to Oxygen magazine.

Also,other poster is correct about trying Pilates it strengthens your core and sculpts your body.Dies not require several reps other than the Hundreds.Took Pilates as physical therapy due to a back problem and feel far better plus posture is improved .Luckilymy
    doctor of physical therapy was a former professional dancer and after serious back injury was introduced toPilates.Her body is
    amazing and she has a daugther that is about 30 and two teen boys.

I also recommend any dvds that work core and small muscle groups like Exhale Cire Fusion,Squeeze dvds which you can find on
    www.collagevideo.com.

Lastly,if you like programs TurboJam is fun and Big Lots has Supreme 90 pn sale for 4.00 which is regularly 19.99 and Tosca created the eating plan for this program.I'm currently doing the Supreme 90 and mixing in other workouts.Good Luck.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You look like you have the same problem I do. Being overweight and having children stretches out the skin so when you lose weight, the softer fat on your tummy doesn't have any firm skin to hold it into place and it looks saggy. You will notice if you bend down on all fours that the skin will sag down as well (too much info LOL) Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do other than try to tone up your abs more. Your skin just isn't offering the support you need right now to hold everything into place. Hopefully it will firm up a bit with time. You look great by the way! Try not to be too hard on yourself (hugs) If you are really having issues with your stomach, you can wear a spandex undershirt like spanx under your clothes. I usually wear one and it helps me feel more secure because I have more lose skin than you do ;)
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels videos! Especially 30 Day Shred (only 30 minutes) or Ripped in 30! I have seen some AMAZING before and after pictures!! Both videos can be found on youtube for free!

I second this. I've done 30 Day Shred and I've recently added No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Although I'm far from my goal I'm very pleased with the results so far. Jillian uses circuit training so it keeps your heart pumping to burn calories and fat but also incorporates strength and core exercises. She's a killer but well worth it. I'd suggest watching through the DVD before doing workout to get all her safety and form tips for optimum results.
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hi just wanted to say i feel for you. your stats are very very close to mine. i also gained 41lbs & had a huge belly when i was pg w/ my son. i am 5'3" & currently weigh 116lbs. i used to weigh 107 lbs (before i was pg). and if i gain anything i'm so small you can tell. but he is turning 4 yrs old next month.. bwahhh. ha, ha. sooo. i can't blame the pg anymore. my belly had a "shelf" for a long time... i think really 3 years.

i also recommend pilates. i do reforming pilates (w/ the machines) i started doing after PT for my back (pg & birth messed it up) & i love it. plus it really toned the belly down. now i'm at those last 10 lbs to get into really amazing shape for my body type. my caloric intake is also @1200. i'm just started doing 6pack dvd from jillian michaels. i bike & walk (live in nyc).

just wanted to say feel for you.. i'm interested in what others are going to tell you. because i'm listening too!
    good luck to you!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You look like you have the same problem I do. Being overweight and having children stretches out the skin so when you lose weight, the softer fat on your tummy doesn't have any firm skin to hold it into place and it looks saggy. You will notice if you bend down on all fours that the skin will sag down as well (too much info LOL) Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do other than try to tone up your abs more. Your skin just isn't offering the support you need right now to hold everything into place. Hopefully it will firm up a bit with time. You look great by the way! Try not to be too hard on yourself (hugs) If you are really having issues with your stomach, you can wear a spandex undershirt like spanx under your clothes. I usually wear one and it helps me feel more secure because I have more lose skin than you do ;)

I relate to this topic because due to being severely overweight, yo-yoing on the wrong diets for me, aging (40 soon!) and having a child there is no way I will ever have the belly I had when I was 16. Just not possible. This lady looks terrific to me and I hope toning gives her what she wants. I'm trying to work on acceptance because I know I am going to be disappointed when I get down to a healthy weight and my belly sags (much worse than that!). It's bad enough that only surgery will fix it, but I don't want to do that. So, I'd be happy to have the OP's belly! And I'll keep in mind that the most important thing is how I perceive myself. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Youre gonna have to eat more (aim for 20% below tdee), cut down on the cardio and start heavy weight training. With this said, dont bother with most jm dvds as they are very heavily cardio and will receive better results doing pure strength training. Good programs are nrolfw, strong lift 5x5, p90x, or you can go to www.bodyrock.tv or youtube for strength training routines. Whats your age and how often you workout?
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've had a "belly" since I was 16 yo. I am now 70 and still have it. Nothing I've done would get rid of it, so I just live with it. Love me, love my body and I love my body and will love it more when I reach my goal. Don't worry about the little pouch, it is not that bad.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    you don't need to loose anymore- just tone up!

^^ THIS^^
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Skin elasticity, as someone else said, is a big deal.... from what I've seen and read, toning helps. Gaining muscle helps as well. However, even as you're doing that (I would suggest oblique exercises to help pull in the abs as well as more typical ab exercises -- there are many that you can do while standing too!).... it may take months for your skin to shrink back. I know that sounds horrible and daunting. I think about it a lot too. When I get to my UGW, I will have lost 187 lbs. I have no idea what my skin is going to do... but I have decided, even at this half-way point, that I will hit my UGW, keep toning and give it at least one full year of letting my skin do it's best to repair naturally before I consider anything like lipo or sculpting treatments or a tuck. I'm in a horrid mood today and wish I could be more cheerful about it, but perhaps while you're toning, your skin will have the time it needs to tighten up.
  • pnwgurl
    pnwgurl Posts: 5
    Options
    increase CARDIO. in crease WATER. increase FIBER. your WEIGHT doesnt determine your body fat, your BMI however- does. if youre eating correct, working out, & doing the other 3 things i mentioned, your body has no choice but to shed it.