Question about overnight oatmeal

Options
Has anyone used quick oats in overnight oatmeal? I'm out of old fashioned and I really want some for breakfast tomorrow!

Replies

• jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No I haven't but heard they don't set up as well. I've wondered about using the steel cut oats as well.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've only used quick oats. It seems to work just fine....
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have used both in the crock pot with decent results but not wonderful. I am thinking about the mason jar thing as I am going back to work soon and want to make my mornings flow better. Have seen recipes using both, so confused!
  • Marlene5539
    Marlene5539 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love overnight oatmeal!!!! My new favorite! I have tried it with rolled oats and with quick oats. It works with both but I like it better with the rolled oats. Usually mix mine with almond milk, protein powder (chocolate or vanilla), Tbsp SF jam and mix in some berries in the morning. I have been eating it practically every day since I tried it.
  • toohot42
    toohot42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is overnight oatmeal that is cooked in a crockpot and overnight oatmeal that is put in the fridge. The best method I have found for the crockpot is using steel cut oats cookied in a water bath..I have used both quick and rolled oats in the fridge and they both worked fine. I think the fridge oats taste best if you use half yogurt and half milk.
    :smile:
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I went ahead and put it together. I use the fridge method with Greek yogurt, almond milk, chia seeds, SF maple syrup and blueberries. It is so good!!!
  • shithead452
    Options
    I like mine with peanut butter for protein but use crunchy peanut butter , and a few rasins it's like eating an oatmeal cookie
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sorry I would have to disagree. I tried it and thought it was horrible! The texture was like wallpaper paste, yuk. I will stick with old fashioned porridge
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I like mine with peanut butter for protein but use crunchy peanut butter , and a few rasins it's like eating an oatmeal cookie

Ooooh...that sounds wonderful!!
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fridge oatmeal? What's that? Got a recipe?
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How I make mine is supper easy, and ready to go when I get up in the morning.
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
    mix this together and i add some fresh blueberries
    put it in a air tight container and it is ready to go in the morning....you can micowave it if you like it hot
  • johnsongs1
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try that. I can zap it when I get to work!
  • johnsongs1
    Options
    Do you use any sweetner besides blueberries?
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just tried this; it was pretty good. I used:

1/4 cup quick oats
    1/4 cup 0% fat greek yoghurt
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    1 1/2 t chia seeds
    1/2 t truvia
    1/4 cup papaya
    1/2 t fireball cinnamon flavored whiskey (What? I was all out of cinnamon!)

I mixed it all in a half pint mason jar and let it sit in the fridge overnight. ~190 calories. I will probably make this my weekday breakfast.

edit to add: "You cannot make fireball cinnamon whiskey your daily breakfast, you goddam lush." - my girlfriend. Allow me to therefore clarify: I would buy proper powdered cinnamon or cinnamon extract if I decide to eat this every morning before I drive to work.
  • Red7Basil
    Options

1/2 t fireball cinnamon flavored whiskey (What? I was all out of cinnamon!)

I mixed it all in a half pint mason jar and let it sit in the fridge overnight. ~190 calories. I will probably make this my weekday breakfast.

Is the whiskey the reason you want to eat this everyday? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • johnsongs1
    Options
    Ha Ha! That's why it's the weekend breakfast! I'll give it a try - but I'm all out of fireball cinnamon whiskey!
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I love the overnight oatmeal. I ran out of skim milk one day and used water instead and didn't notice the difference at all, so now I just make it with 1/4 cup 0% fage, 1/4 cup quaker old fashioned oates, 1/4 or 1/3 cup water depending if I add bananas, a tablespoon of flavored jam to match whatever fruits I'm adding. My favorite right now is Trappist Peach preserve, then mixing in a peach and a banana. Holy delishiousness.

I love the idea of PB and raisins. Will try that.
    I made a PB and Jelly one once with mixed dried fruit, more of a dessert and too many calories for me to have daily but yummo.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

"..Trappist Peach preserve..."

"Holy delishiousness."

I see what you did there, and I am extremely amused by it. Well done.
  • cjbucci19
    cjbucci19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have never, EVER heard of this! Going on my list of things to try. :smile:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    edit to add: "You cannot make fireball cinnamon whiskey your daily breakfast, you goddam lush." - my girlfriend. Allow me to therefore clarify: I would buy proper powdered cinnamon or cinnamon extract if I decide to eat this every morning before I drive to work.

hahaha, made me lol at my desk!! :laugh: