Low metabolism

Options
anyone else done the metabolism measurement test at lifetime fitness and discovered that they only burn 1,000 cals at rest? So if I want to lose weight , I need 500 cals less than that a day to lose a pound a week. Even with a strong 300-400 cal workout every day,I can only eat around 1,000 to lose weight. Very very hard for me.

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I didn't know they had one... do you think they would do it anywhere else? I kind of want one now.
  • SkinnySonia79
    SkinnySonia79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This really doesn't sound right! But keep in mind the more you exercise, especially adding more muscle to your body, will fuel up your metabolism significantly. Don't be discouraged! Just take it one day at a time :)
  • agilityvizlsagirl
    agilityvizlsagirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never done one, but 1000 cal per day alone is not much, let alone less than that. I would try doing alot of muscle strengthening in order to increase your metabolism ... also eating every 2-3 hours to keep it going. I know that I have trouble in the morning eating after I get up (usually have to be awake for a good 2 hours before I can eat, so I try and drink a small glass of orange juice once I wake up just to get my metabolism started.

Good luck, perhaps also talk with your doctor for advice.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Had you fasted for 12 hours and abstained from exercise for 48 hours before having the test done? Was it done in a quiet room? That's the standard. Just wondering.
  • vavaral
    vavaral Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, very professional test , no workout for 2 days, quiet room etc. Guy who did it felt really bad for me.
  • vavaral
    vavaral Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have lost 10 pounds but it's been a big struggle.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Found this post. I had a resting metabolic test done and my results were 907 I burn sitting still all day. Add on my desk job during the day and I am at 1179 a day. I knew I had a low metabolism, which is why when I tried the whole eat more to lose I was gaining. It is good for me to have actual data now on my body. I did the test in a quiet room, and had fasted for 12 hrs and had not exercised for about 40 hrs before the test.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    anyone else done the metabolism measurement test at lifetime fitness and discovered that they only burn 1,000 cals at rest? So if I want to lose weight , I need 500 cals less than that a day to lose a pound a week. Even with a strong 300-400 cal workout every day,I can only eat around 1,000 to lose weight. Very very hard for me.
    Consider integrating some higher intensity lifting and cardio to help with metabolic increase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition