Thinking about a diet change.. opinions?

Options
So I never really ate much cow to begin with, but I'm thinking about cutting beef completely out of my diet. Not because I'm an animal-loving hippie ( :blushing: ) but because I just feel terrible after I eat it. I get my protein from other sources, I'm not worried about that. What are your thoughts about having a mostly-vegetarian diet/can you share any tips? Thanks! <3

Replies

• VeganZombie13
    Options
    I say go for it!!!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    some people have issues with red meat, especially heavy red meat such as beef when they start eating cleaner.

some do not...there's nothing wrong with cutting it out...just eat more of other proteins.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't eat beef, except maybe twice a year, and it doesn't bother me at all! I don't know if there is any truth behind this, but someone once told me that women can have difficulties digesting beef sometimes- maybe this is why you don't feel well after you eat it?

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!
  • Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Greetings from a "mostly vegetarian"! If you feel terrible after you eat beef, by all means give it up. It's not doing anything extra special for you, I promise. Honestly if you're not giving up chicken/pork/turkey/eggs etc. there's no real tips to give. Don't let people talk you into a steakhouse for your birthday. Make turkey/chicken burgers but be sure to use onions/herbs/etc. so they're not too bland and boring. If you're super extra concerned about your iron/b12 levels, you should just maybe take a women's multivitamin, but you're probably fine. It's only if you go total vegetarian, especially if you give up eggs too, that you might at least want to consider taking supplements to make up for the lack of those nutrients you only get from animal products.
    If you're wondering about protein as a veggie, it is not difficult to get enough. Quinoa is a complete protein, so it's the big vegetarian winner, but if you get plenty of veggies and lentils/beans etc on the regular you're never going to lack for protein (or fiber!)
  • sowonderfultonight
    Options
    I personally haven't eaten ANY red meat innnn about four or five years? Something along those lines. I still eat poultry and seafood, but I'm working on giving up poultry as well. The only thing to be careful of is that you don't eat an all-carb diet. That's really what got me into my weight problem in the first place. :P If you have a healthy diet otherwise, though, there are no problems with it. ^^
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    I personally haven't eaten ANY red meat innnn about four or five years? Something along those lines. I still eat poultry and seafood, but I'm working on giving up poultry as well. The only thing to be careful of is that you don't eat an all-carb diet. That's really what got me into my weight problem in the first place. :P If you have a healthy diet otherwise, though, there are no problems with it. ^^
    That's kind of what I'm thinking about doing. I eat seafood and poultry (sometimes) but I just wanted reassurance, I guess. You guys are so helpful!! <3
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Your diet should be based on your tolerance, preference, and goals. If you wish to eliminate red meat just make sure everything else is in balance, and no worries. Watch your iron intake if you don't eat red meats tho.