Help! I just cannot eat any more....

Options
mgobluetx12
mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
On the suggestion of you wonderful people, I have decided to up my calories to 1600 per day (I'm 6'2 and at 267 with a goal of 200). Prior to that, I was eating 1400 and unfortunately, having trouble getting in that many. I'm stuffing myself at the end of the day just to come near 1400-1600 and not anywhere near eating back my exercise calories (usually 300-500 per day). What should I do to try to get in extra calories?

For example today:

Breakfast: Spinach and fruit smoothie - 420 cals
Lunch - Skinny Taste chicken parmesan - 225 cals
Dinner - Skinny Taste loaded Santa Fe potato skins and mandarin oranges - 260.

I burned 514 calories today and so my net currently is around 300, so 1278 left to eat and it's 7:30pm and I'm stuffed from dinner. I believe in the EMWL, but I can't seem to make it work.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• asitshouldbe
    Options
    I eat regular and not "diet" foods. Reg fats...etc. Those "light" foods are loaded with sugar and sugar keeps the weight on. Reg fat foods gives you more cals and not an issue so much with weight loss as diet foods. Too much artificial sweetener will also keep the weight on. I quit drinking so much crystal light and lost 4lbs one week. Are you eating 3 snacks a day? Have a 200 cal or so snack. Eat every 3-4 hours. I eat 5-6 times a day. Depending on how long my day is. I started at 234lbs am now at 202 in 4 mos and just walking 5-6 days a week for about 40 mins with the dogs. I am now working on toning and going to zumba 2 nights a week. Only eating back enough to get bact to the 1200 point. Below 1200 you will go into starvation and not lose anything. If you're going for more strength and toning don't forget that proteins are great for that, and there will be muscle gain and won't show in weight numbers, but will show in measurements!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    On the suggestion of you wonderful people, I have decided to up my calories to 1600 per day (I'm 6'2 and at 267 with a goal of 200). Prior to that, I was eating 1400 and unfortunately, having trouble getting in that many. I'm stuffing myself at the end of the day just to come near 1400-1600 and not anywhere near eating back my exercise calories (usually 300-500 per day). What should I do to try to get in extra calories?

For example today:

I burned 514 calories today and so my net currently is around 300, so 1278 left to eat and it's 7:30pm and I'm stuffed from dinner. I believe in the EMWL, but I can't seem to make it work.

what about a few ounces of mixed nuts as a snack? a meal replacement bar in the afternoon as a snack? a salad with some avocado and REAL salad dressing ( none of that lite crud) with your chicken parmesan at lunch? Sour cream, greek yogurt, or blue cheese dressing to dip your potato skins in...
  • jules77az2004
    jules77az2004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can add things that are higher calorie into the meals you're already eating. :) So with your smoothie get adventurous and add things like nuts, avocado, regular yogurt not fat free, HELL low fat ice cream even. :) For lunch you can add cheese, pasta or bulk the meal (I realize bulking size wise isn't the problem I mean calorie bulking) up with things like vegi's or a salad with regular dressing with it. The dinner you listed add regular sour cream, regular cheese, avocado, etc... I bulk all my meals size wise with Vegi's so that i can cut out the more fattening things like pasta and cheese without feeling like I'm eating less. But sounds like you need to try adding things to your meals that are higher calorie. It takes some getting used to looking at your meal and deciding how and what to add that will not change the taste drastically but still fill whatever your need. Hope that helps. :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eat the higher fat/calorie versions? Add some nut butter and maybe some avocado to your smoothie, snack on nuts, in general, eat more calorie dense foods.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop with the skinny taste stuff. you have the calories to spare and dont have to eat "diet" food
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some above have said. Try eating some snacks. I usually have nuts such as walnuts at one snack a day (usually afternoon to keep my energy up and make it easier to eat well at dinner)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Avocados. Full-fat cheeses.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Have some fun and eat real food!
  • mightymouse1998
    Options
    take a weight gainer shake
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    IF you were having trouble eating 1400 calories, why would you up your calorie intake to 1600?? I agree with everyone else - try some nuts, trail mix etc.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and weigh 128 lbs. I have no problem eating around 2000 cal a day. This is where I should be for mai. ntenance at my
    TDEE. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with about 5-6 snacks inbetween meals such as fruit smoothies,peanut butter, various nuts, greek yogurt, fruits, kashi bars, fruit and nut kind bars, cheese, popcorn, rice cakes, etc. Get creative with calorie dense foods/snacks.
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ...is this serious? I don't get why you're eating diet food. Higher calorie food would be more nutritional as well as use up more cals. Have a sandwich with avocado and cheese! Or make a salad with greens, vegies and cheese and drizzle with a couple of tbsp of olive oil and a handful of nuts - that's 500ish cals right there!!

And if you really need to get more cals (OH MY GOODNESS I WISH I HAD THAT PROBLEM) just eat a handful of nuts or a little peanut butter. Or have an ice cream. Or chocolate. Or honey. Or anything from a restaurant. Heck, have any one of the million things I crave on a daily basis and cannot eat and never ever take it for granted!

I'll just be here in the corner crying over my 220g tin of 155 calorie beans :(
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! The reason I wanted to increase my cals is because I'm 6'2 and losing VERY slow with a lot to lose at 1400.

I have to get over my guilt for NOT eating diet food. Even when I did a cheat day and went out to eat, I ate 1/4 of this and 1/2 of that...didn't really let myself enjoy the food for what is was.

I will definitely buy some nuts and regular salad dressing. YUM! I will try so hard to eat snacks in between meals, but I honestly drink so much water that I just haven't been hungry at all.

I never thought I'd have to work at getting calories in. Maybe I shouldn't have done such a 180 from my previous eating habits!

Thanks again everyone. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated!
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would say eat more fruit and veggies as snacks. I mean nuts are great, but get a lil variety in there. although the blue diamond almonds in different flavors are awesome. you should try them sometime. GOOD LUCK!!
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller, higher-calorie foods. Everything (or as many things as you need, anyway) in full-fat, and protein shakes usually help, too.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Lots of people gave you great suggestions. At 6'2" 1600 cal a day is reasonable for you to lose weight. In fact, it may be too little still. Anyway, snacks are key. Add olive oil to whatever you can, nuts and nut butter, avocado, yogurt, cheese, have a little chocolate...these are all things I do to boost that number. It may take some time to adjust but just be patient. You will get the hang of it!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

For example today:

Last night I had 2oz of trail mix for evening snack--walnuts, almonds, dried cranberries--300 calories

I often have 2oz of cashews to snack on--320calories

1oz each of cashews and pecans--370 calories

Fiber one 90 calorie brownie with 2T PB-- about 270 calories

2 wheat thins flatbreads, 1 laughing cow cheese wedge, 12 black olives-- about 215 calories

Klondike 100 calorie bar--100 calories of yummy ice cream goodness :)

2oz beef summer sausage-- 180 calories

Believe me, there are times that I feel like I am eating like it is my JOB.