How to learn to love (healthy) food

Options
2»

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Great, I would like a new picture filled cookbook. I have a couple ones that are recent but they are very professional quality with almost no pictures. I have amazon gift cards left too, so I don't have to feel bad about budget. :smile:
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different fruits and vegetables that are pretty cheap, maybe try getting those for now? So that way if you don't like them, it's not a big deal if you toss them. Do you like eggs? You can make a variety of things with them & also you don't have to really worry about the price.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    That is true. I can just try really small portions of the stuff, too.

I think I like eggs but recently I have had a hard time eating them.

I'm going to go for a while. Feel free to keep leaving ideas if anyone else stops by here.

Thank you so much for all the help!
  • shanoops
    Options
    You're an adult now, not a toddler who needs to be tricked into trying food. Just suck it up, eat real food and find things you like--learning how to cook helps if you don't already know how. Maybe trying to make pizza or some of the other junk food you like at home would be a good place to start. Good luck. :smile:

That's a really unproductive way to help someone change their habits. I can see that your intentions are good, but starting off with an insult is a great way to get someone to shut you out.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ok, this is my fav healthy meal.

I make a bean sauce.

2 x cans diced tomatoes
    1 x can 4 bean mix
    clove of garlic
    half an onion
    chilli, if you like

1/5 of the sauce is 110 cal, 16g carb, 4g fibre, 4g fat, 6g protein

sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil then add the tomatoes and stir. then add the beans and let simmer for at least half an hour (btw, this freezes well so I freeze batches for easy lunch/dinners)

Bake a potato, sweet or normal, big or small. Chop up in a bowl.

Add all the chopped vegies you want.
    I use

grated carrot
    peas
    raw shredded brocolli
    capsicum
    wiltered spinach
    pineapple
    olives
    tomatoes

put them on top of the chopped cooked spud then add the hot bean sauce on top of the veg (as much as you have in the calorie bank) I use about a soup scoop. I also like to add some hommus (or any dip i have in the fridge) and grated cheese on top.Then I mush it all together with chilli and garic granules. It is so delish and you can mix it up. If I have a bad day and dont have that many cal to spare, I cut back on the spud or cheese, and add more veg. I swear it is so good, and so healthy. You get good carbs, vitamins, fibre, protein, its high flavour and low fat and you get a full belly. And heaps greens makes for heaps of anti-oxidents. So excited! I'm having it tonight, could you tell??

p.s - if the thought of all those vegies makes you gag, try one at a time. Maybe start with some capsicum and tomato first. or mushrooms if you like them. You will be suprised how high flavour the sauce is, the vegies wont be so overpowering. One step at a time, but do experiment :)
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try eating lots of kinds of fruit - buy one piece of different kinds to find out what kinds you like.

For vegetables, if you are afraid you will waste it, get frozen, take out one serving, and put the rest in a ziplock with all the air pulled out. Frozen is just as nutritious and for one person, sometimes a lot less wasteful.

Do you like any low calorie dips? I learned to eat sweet pepper slices and summer squash slices using dips. Now I like them just by themselves.

Also check out single serve or two serving recipes. That wastes less too.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You're an adult now, not a toddler who needs to be tricked into trying food. Just suck it up, eat real food and find things you like--learning how to cook helps if you don't already know how. Maybe trying to make pizza or some of the other junk food you like at home would be a good place to start. Good luck. :smile:

That's a really unproductive way to help someone change their habits. I can see that your intentions are good, but starting off with an insult is a great way to get someone to shut you out.
    lol I'd say correcting someone elses behavior is equaling unproductive but I appreciate where you're coming from -- sometimes you can't help yourself.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Potato with bean sauce sounds good, I really appreciate you sharing the recipe!
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try this..
    Supper.jpg[img]It's John Soules Pollo Asado (Spicy Chicken) w/sauteed onions, broccoli, carrots & cauliflower. 273 calories ,12g carbs, 41g protein, 3g fat, 2g fiber And let me tell you it sure was delicious :)[/img]
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Potato with bean sauce sounds good, I really appreciate you sharing the recipe!

oh it is... yummm..... so excited for it tonight! And btw, once you cook the beans and, cook extra spuds, chop up all the veg you have like 4-5 meals there! and you mix and match vegies so you dont get sick of it.
  • Hudderstub
    Hudderstub Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All the advice to start cooking is good. But look for good quality ingredients without additives or other chemicals. if you have a local deli or farmers market that is often a good place to start looking for local produce. You can often sample cheeses and meats. Just try a wide variety to see what you really like.