Eating sweets but staying within my calorie goal?

Options
Willi gain weight if I eat a cake, lemon merrange grr but still stay in my calorie goal??
This week has been a bad week for functions and eating crap!! Help??

Replies

• angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calories allotment...enjoy a piece of cake. But try to make healthy choices tomorrow.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What she said!
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you should be good as long as it isn't everyday. Think of your diet as the new way that you're going to eat from this point on. In you're normal life you're going to have sweets sometimes. The important thing is that you don't over do it.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Willi gain weight if I eat a cake, lemon merrange grr but still stay in my calorie goal??
    This week has been a bad week for functions and eating crap!! Help??

No.

You should know how the calorie deficit systems works. :grumble:
  • Chessibell
    Options
    Although its not enough to break your calorie budget its high in bad fats and sugars, but occasional splurges wont hurt =)
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That was my long weekend - good with the calories but lousy with the choices.

In the long run we can't be perfect and we need some wiggle room or will end up in padded rooms with our weigh scales and measuring cups.

Some one above said it. Enjoy, move on, do better.
    :)
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Even if there are a lot of functions you should not only try to stay within your calorie goal but with healthy foods. If it is a function where you bring something, volunteer to bring a desert if you are craving sweets. Look up some diabetic recipes they are usually built around nutrition. Good Luck
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. I save 150-200 calories of my goal every night to have a sweet. I usually buy skinny cow candy or ice cream as all of it is under 150...Or 100 calorie cookie packs...I haven't had a problem with it affecting my progress..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    IMO, being able to occasionally do such things is part of being flexible in your diet. I'm all for the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) school of thought. I had a big piece of chocolate ganache cake after dinner tonight (eating out with friends), yet still managed to hit my calorie goal and be very close on all my macros.

I've always had a healthy relationship with food and I intend to keep it that way. It's good to eat healthy and try to hit your calorie/macro intakes, but IMO it's also good to be as flexible as possible so you don't freak out if you eat somewhere that doesn't have their nutritional info posted on the wall in front of you, or a place where there's new foods you haven't tried before. Orthorexia is as much an eating disorder as any of the others.

tl;dr - you're fine, don't sweat it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    it's ok.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 calories a day during the week and only snack on healthy choices like fruit and veggie. On a weekend though I have about 1400 calories (I don't use my exercise calories during week or weekend) and usually save this for a bag of crips and a bar of chocolate on a Saturday night while we watch a film.

It's my little treat every week that I look forward to and I don't feel deprived. I do still try and make a healthier choice. I usually have baked crisps like wotsits and either malteasers or cruchy bar which are lower in cals than a pure chocolate bar but I still really enjoy them and it doesn't seem to effect my weight loss.
  • dmdv22
    dmdv22 Posts: 22
    Options
    Definitely no expert here but it seems you should be able to splurge every now or then. I think what I learned is portion control and improving your exercise habits. I was driving around town and I saw a Restaurant I hadnt seen in a long time that I like quite a bit. I had some success in my life this last month so I decided to reward myself. I got the usual thing that I normally got there(I was amazed at the calories it had) and a glass of sweet tea. In the past I would have got at least one refill of sweet tea or maybe more, but now that I am counting calories I refilled with water. Since I was so high on lunch I had soup for supper. I knew I was going to be over for the day by the lunch I had so I went to the gym and had a pretty rigorous workout to burn the calories. (with work out calories deducted I was under calorie goal)

I guess the point is,in he past I would have multiple cups of tea, a normal dinner and not worked out. With this program I was conscious of everything and when weighing myself this morning I weighed a little less than yesterday and am a little down for the week. So in this non expert opinion a little reward may not be all bad if you are conscious of what you are doing.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in your daily calorie limit, you will not gain for eating a piece of cake. Enjoy it!!! I eat pretty healthy all week long and on the weekends I eat junky, but still stay within calorie goal and have managed to lose 26 lbs in 2.5 mths. :happy:
  • stannyxc
    Options
    Its ok, but careful because you are not getting the nutrients you need :(

Also, sugar is very addictive. If you think that you are addicted treat it the way you would any other addiction. For me cutting it cold turkey worked best. I now allow myself to eat sweet things from time to time (few years later), as long as its not every day, so I wouldn't get addicted again... I did the same with cigarettes - I use to smoke a 20pack a day. Cut it all out for 7 years, now I have a social one every month or so, but don't need it :)