breastfeeding moms??

Options
Hey all, so I am nursing my son still and estimated that I burn about 320 calories per day producing milk for him. Do I add that to my exercise log on here? I had not been doing it before and I was just wondering if I should to be more accurate? Doing so has given me over 500 extra cals from it plus my other exercise and I don't know if I should eat that much extra.
Just wondering if there are other breastfeeding moms out there and what you do with those calories you burn by nursing.

Replies

• KattMC713
    Options
    I would count it! We just weaned 2.5 weeks ago and my weight shot up immediately from not burning those extra calories! Good luck!
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I would count it! We just weaned 2.5 weeks ago and my weight shot up immediately from not burning those extra calories! Good luck!
    oh, good to know!! Thanks!! :)
  • abdillon
    Options
    I just started a few days ago and am choosing not to count calories burned from nursing. I figure it as a temporary bonus to help boost my weight loss. I think it's a personal decision but I'd rather error on the side of eating a few less calories than a few extra. I'm pretty motivated to get this baby off...the extra 40 lbs is killing me! :-)
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I just started a few days ago and am choosing not to count calories burned from nursing. I figure it as a temporary bonus to help boost my weight loss. I think it's a personal decision but I'd rather error on the side of eating a few less calories than a few extra. I'm pretty motivated to get this baby off...the extra 40 lbs is killing me! :-)
    well prior to this I was at a mere 1200 calories a day, it was fine at first, but after 4 days or so I felt myself being more hungry and not having enough calories to eat more. So I changed my activity level and even that didn't help, only gave me 30 extra calories which is nothing, so I had to lower my weekly weight loss to 1/2lb. I burn more calories nursing than I do with my choice of exercise, so I think I will log it for accuracy, and up my weight loss goal to lower the calories a bit.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I didn't know at the time to log breastfeeding. So I never logged it. I think it should be logged though.
  • calebsmoma2000
    calebsmoma2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do log my breastfeeding calories and eat them back. My son was born 5 months ago and I have lost 36 pounds this way since the day after he was born bringing me 18 pounds lower than when I got pregnant :) So I ate 1200 for "me" and 300 for "him" since he nurses 6 times a day but get's 1-2 bottles to supplement. Another way to calculate is by the ounce- 20calories burned per ounce of breastmilk you make. I've read if you don't eat these calories back at least then you risk your milk supply dropping. I also log my exercise but usually do not eat them back unless I am hungry, then I'll eat something small.

To log: Under foods do a search for breastfeeding & pick the level that applies to you- I know weird place for it!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Be careful cutting calories too much when breastfeeding as you don't want to damage your milk supply. I have seen suggestions online to eat at least 1800 calories per day when nursing... although I don't think that refers to net calories as calculated by MFP.