Calorie intake on MFP

Options
Hi All
Sorry this may seem a stupid question, but my daily calorie intake that MFP has worked out, do I have to hit that amount of calories or just not exceed that amount.

Thanks

Replies

• angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Try to come as close to that as possible. If you hit that amount of calories you lose the targeted amount of weight.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exceed it. Exceeding it would mean to maintain your current weight or gain weight.

Now that also doesn't mean you should eat less than that. I would aim for a 100 calories around it either way. Or if possible right on target.

But since most foods nutritional information is just an estimate anyway, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff like 10 calories over or under.

I guess you could say it is like a game of darts the closer to the target the better.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You nedd to be as close to that number as possible if you want to see the results you have anticipated. If you go over realize that you would have to eat over your daily deficit (1000 cals/day for 2 lbs/week) to actually put weight on... Most would suggest not going under too much or too many days because you need too properly fuel your body every day and we are all looking for better metabolism not worse riiiiight? ;) stay strong eat right exercise regularly and you will succeed.
  • tayhelcar
    Options
    I have found that each persons body responds to certain foods differently. I would play with a little. I have been under my calorie goal everyday and still feel satisfied. I have been eating small meals every 2-3 hours not exceeding 400 calories a piece, and have lost weight since beginning this journey.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Andyg
    Andyg Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for feedback...

So For example My goal is 2420 and i've just clocked in and still have 1138 CALORIES REMAINING

Good, Bad?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't overestimating your activity level for that calorie target. But that is how it works. It is like a checking account you get a balance every day and you use as much as you use and once the "money" calories run out you are out.

Eating 4-6 small meals a day will rev your metabolism up to burn through your weight faster, if you can maintain that. Also try to eat as clean as possible.

Lots of food that are plants not foods made in plants.:wink:

If you find after a week or 2 that you aren't losing any weight, re-evaluate your activity level and decrease your daily calorie intake by 100 calories and see if that makes the difference.

Eat when you are hungry, if you aren't hungry don't eat, but if you are you have 2420 calories to still eat to lose weight daily.
  • smarie62
    Options
    I guess it's alright......I still have 1116 left after breakfast and lunch.