What am I doing wrong?!!!

Options
I am getting frustrated. I was on a good weight loss pattern that has now plateued. Thank goodness that I am not adding weight because that would totally finish it for me.

My diary is open, please review and tell me what I am doing wrong. What can I do to go back to losing weight.

A bit of history.
I started the weight loss journey on 11th January this year when I was about 128kgs. I lost about 10kgs by walking 3 - 4 times a week, averaging about 45 - 50 kilometers a week. I joined MFP in February and started counting calories and continued losing to about 103kgs. In May, I started going to the gym three times a week and stopped walking. At the gym, I do cardio activities (treadmill or crosstrainer) for 20 minutes and weight training for 40 minutes.

In June, out of the blues my weight increased by 8kgs in 2 weeks and I went to see a doctor. After tests were done at the hospital, it was discovered that I had hypothyroidism. I was put on medication to 'jump start' my system and I am still on this medication.

However, since the weight went up, it has never gone back down. It fluctuates up and down by 1kg. And now I am getting frustrated. What am I doing wrong? I sometimes eat back my calories, sometimes I don't. I drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Is the cardio not enough? Is 1,650 calories too much? (That is the amount of calories I am allowed to eat to 'lose 1.5 pounds a week' by MFP)

Please help? :frown:

Replies

• newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have been eating really clean and exercising at least an hour every day and have not lost a thing :( Will be interested to see what people's answers are.
  • a_dvls
    a_dvls Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally understand the frustration. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and put on medication in May of this year after six months of slow gain increase. The weight continues to stay the same and I have to be very careful of what I eat despite regular exercise and clean eating. I am on day 2 of incorporating "my fitness pal" in hopes of pin pointing where I'm failing on my diet. I look forward to the responses on this board.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    First of all: Are you sure your diary is open? I can't seem to access it.

I also have hypothyroidism, was diagnosed several years ago, and I know that the medications sometimes take a looot of time to fully work. For me it was 1 1/2 years. This is because you have to start on a low dose, and work your way up to the correct one. It's frustrating, but it's the only healthy way.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open - would be happy to review if you open it!
  • johnnyash
    Options
    Hi!

Have you had a plan worked out by a PT? If not, maybe think about it or look into compounding your weight exercises. Also, mix your cardio. Leave behind the tread and start on the rowing machine. Your body gets used to certain exercises. The weights are a good idea, muscle mass increases BMR.

I can't view your diet page but think about how your diet is made up. Look at carb intake especially.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. I cannot see our food diary so I have no idea what you are eating. DO NO GIVE UP!!!! Plateaus can be so frustrating. I used to work for WW and believe me it was the number ONE complaint. It usually happens to everyone at some point on this journey. Sometimes medical issues like thyroid can also cause a momentary set back. You have had great progress so far!

I am on the 1200 calories plan, and do not eat my exercise points. I try to walk 30 minutes per day or do the elliptical for 20. I have not yet begun a weight routine but hope to soon. Without seeing your food diary, I would suggest that maybe you continue walking for 30 minutes, or the elliptical in additions to the weights. Weight workouts help your body burn calories even at rest while cardiovascular workouts burn the calories only during the activity. That's why it's important we do both.

Hang in there and don't give up you will get past this if you keep up your hard work.

Have a good day!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    your diary isnt open, but i would suggest not eating back the exercise calories
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your cardio....you said you started by walking 3-4 times a week. At the point you plateau you should maybe increase exercise - maybe not in terms of mileage but in terms of intensity. Try switching one day to a more intense or just different workout (try jogging, elliptical, swimming, biking, stairmaster, etc.). That might help boost your weight loss efforts a bit. Also, why kind of 1600 calories are you taking in? Are they healthy calories or junk calories?
  • Njenva
    Njenva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Still reading.....

Sorry, my diary is now open.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last poster. Your exercises and intensity should progress with your weight loss and fitness, keep upping the difficulty and intensity! You're probably more fit now than before, so it's only logical that your body needs something more challenging :)
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    Try switching up your cardio....?

Agreed! See if your gym has any fitness classes zumba and kick boxing are a lot of fun and great calorie burners.
  • Njenva
    Options
    Anyone evaluated my diary yet?

Okay so what I hear so far is:
    1. Increase my cardio activities
    2. Reduce carbs from my diet
    3. Increase intensity of workouts
  • tazzy_toon
    tazzy_toon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say add more fruits and veggies and cut down on the fatty sausages. Sometimes it's the quality of the food you are eating over quantity. Having said all that, don't get too discouraged, I have health issues and meds that slow the weightloss process. You just have to remind yourself that if you wheren't doing what you are doing, then you'd be gaining. I know its not the best, but it's better then nothing right! Also, walking ever day plus the gym 3x a week has helped me and I agree with others that switching up your routine really helps, our bodies kinda get used to things.
    Best of luck to you on your journey, stay the course and look for anything that's a success, whether you are able to lift a few more pounds, have more energy or if you pants feel better. The scale is just a small part of the process.
  • Njenva
    Options
    Thank you! So it also seems that my diet has junk that needs to be cut out..... Hmmmm.