VLCD and "pig out day" ?

Options
Hey guys!

Just joined MFP and I'm really enjoying it so far =)

I'm following a Very Low Calorie Diet right now by myself..I was on the Cambridge Weight Plan for almost 2 weeks but can't really afford the products anymore, so I decided to try myself. CWP was shakes only for 420 calories a day, so now I'm on a 500-800 calorie diet solo and doing good. Since I started on July 25th I've lost 5,6 kg (12.3 lbs) and feeling well.

My question is, I've heard if you're on a VLCD aka starvation mode it would benefit you to have a "pig out day" (over 1200 calories) now and then (2x a month) to trick your body to think ur off the starvation mode and when u go back the next day, it starts burning fat again. Has anyone heard this? Is it true or just a myth?

I know I'm on a drastic diet here but it suits me well right now and I'll be upping the calories and starting some excercise when I've lost some more wieight.

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 109,4kg (241 lbs) right now. My goal is 85 kg (187lbs)

Any tips for me? =) I drink 2 liters of water every day =)

Thanks

Poppiupau

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I would ask a doctor for advice. Honestly, the VLCD sounds very dangerous without medical supervision. Even without freaking out your metabolism, I have no idea how you get enough nutrients at only 800 calories a day. The only people I've heard of using such a diet healthily were hundreds of pounds overweight, and being supervised by a doctor.
  • poppiupau
    Options
    I had a check up before I started, I'm in good health and good to go.

I'm trying to eat healthy balancing protein, carbs and fat + I take vitamins and nutrition supplements. =)
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I went on the Cambridge Diet last year and lost 2.5 stones in quite a short space of time. worst thing I ever did. I am now 3.5 stone heavier and the weight went back on within months. The fat this time though is very flabby and I hate my body even more than before I went on the Cambridge.

I have now found out also that doing a VLCD is very dangerous. The ketosis it puts your body in is the same state that a diabetic is in before getting drugs to regulate their insulin and it can shut your organs down. Doing the Cambridge was bad enough but doing it without the right nutrients in your diet is even worse!

The best thing you can do is to work out your BMR a this is the figure that tell you what your body needs just to function even when you are at rest/sleep. Then work out your TDEE this is what your body needs to perform your usual daily routine. Then have a calorie deficit of no more than 1000 calories and whatever you do DO NOT GO BELOW 1200 CALORIES a day.

Google the above and you can find tools to work it out, but to be honest MFP does it all for you.

I will forward an email to you that another member sent me that I found very useful

Good Luck and be safe!

Lisa
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's "rapid fat loss" programme has refeed days and diet breaks for the reasons you outline.

For example for an obese person he says....

"Frequency and Duration of Free Meals, Refeeds and Full Diet Breaks
    As a category 3 dieter, you should have a full diet break every 6-12 weeks. You are allowed 2 free meals per week. You are not allowed any refeeds."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

There'll be a whole host of people to hate you for going below the 1200 calorie number floated by some American institution. Don't take it personally. VLCDs for limited periods are recognised as safe and effective obesity interventions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The ketosis it puts your body in is the same state that a diabetic is in
    Incorrect information. Nutritional ketosis is a different thing entirely to diabetic ketoacidosis.

The ketosis of a diet has a low to moderate level of ketones combined with low blood sugars and normal blood pH.

Ketoacidosis (the diabetic one) is very high levels of ketones combined with high blood sugar levels and reduced blood pH (acid).

Similar names, radically different situations.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The ketosis it puts your body in is the same state that a diabetic is in
    Incorrect information. Nutritional ketosis is a different thing entirely to diabetic ketoacidosis.

The ketosis of a diet has a low to moderate level of ketones combined with low blood sugars and normal blood pH.

Ketoacidosis (the diabetic one) is very high levels of ketones combined with high blood sugar levels and reduced blood pH (acid).

Similar names, radically different situations.

Maybe - I don't know to be honest, I read up a lot on the internet about VLCD's and cambridge and it all said it was pretty safe to do. Its not until you have done it and then you realise the weight just goes back on again and now I have no muscle tone.

see this website:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    VLCDs for limited periods are recognised as safe and effective obesity interventions.

*if done properly
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of the VLCD, but I've heard that it's good to have a pig-out day once a week if you are eating moderately and healthily the rest of the week. For the very reasons you say - so your metabolism doesn't slow down. I read about it in Tim Ferriss's book, 'The 4-Hour Body'. He experimented with different techniques to see what was the most effective and efficient way to burn fat and gain muscle. I found it an interesting read. He also recommends a high-protein breakfast - 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up - and I've tried that and found it to be really effective in making me feel full and stopping me crave junk for the rest of the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I had a check up before I started, I'm in good health and good to go.

I'm trying to eat healthy balancing protein, carbs and fat + I take vitamins and nutrition supplements. =)
    Eating VLCD isn't sustainable nor healthy. Extremely low calories forces the body into lower metabolic rate. Boost your metabolic rate and calorie output, not reduce your intake to VLCD.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    VLCD should be used sparingly and with medical supervision. It should be fine for 10-21 days (such as a detox or internal cleanse) but after that you could do irreparable harm to your metabolism.

A low calorie diet of 1200-1400 average per day can be maintained long term without negative side effects. There are even studies that show that kind of low calorie eating can extend your life expectancy by many years.

Since you are here at MFP, give the recommended program a try and see how it works out for you. The goal here is slow and steady weight loss. If you lose the weight too fast, it is not likely to stay gone.